The Camel Club (2005)

by David Baldacci

Series: The Camel Club (1)

The Camel Club is a four-man group of Washington, D.C. misfits, that meet weekly to discuss political conspiracies they believe exist and what actions they might take. One night club members witness the murder of Secret Service employee Patrick Johnson, thus thrusting the wacky crew into the middle of a bigger conspiracy than they could ever have imagined.… (more)
    The President's Shadow by Brad Meltzer (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Both series have archivists that are characters that play important roles in the series.
    The Rescue by Steven Konkoly (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Both works use a network of informants/operatives to accomplish their goals.
    The Lion by Nelson DeMille (Scottneumann)

English (116)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (124)
I've read later books in this series prior to reading this one, which is the first in the series. I decided to go back and read Baldacci books that I hadn't read yet because I usually enjoy his books. That said, The Camel Club isn't my favorite of his series. That may be because I jumped into it in later books and there are several characters who form The Camel Club plus ancillary characters that are quasi-members, so it was harder to keep them all straight when I didn't start from the beginning.

Now, seeing the dynamics between Oliver, Reuben, Milton, and Caleb in the first book, I kind of understand more what they were trying to do--Oliver seems to be a person who can put pieces from various sources together to see the whole. Milton is the technology whiz. Caleb has research skills plus can keep his ear to the ground for government sources. Reuben gets the common man's take on things.

The 4 long-time members of the Camel Club (Oliver, Reuben, Milton, and Caleb) witness a murder. POTUS is kidnapped. Kate Adams brings The Camel Club and Alex Ford (plus Adelphia and Jackie Simpson) together with various pieces of the puzzle. ( )
  JenniferRobb | May 28, 2022 |
The first in a series of intriguing characters who are not who they appear to be. Each one with a deep cover background, together, a formidable force to stop evil happening at the highest levels of the American Government. Most definitely should be read in order. ( )
  Windyone1 | May 10, 2022 |
Fast-paced "spy" thriller. Well thought out and fun characters. Great book. ( )
  sunnydrk | Oct 20, 2021 |
Fiction
  hpryor | Aug 8, 2021 |
The Camel Club is a four-man group of off-beat characters who meet weekly to discuss the latest goings-on that they think could spell government conspiracies. During one of these clandestine meetings in a secluded park area, they witness the murder of a man who turns out to be a Secret Service Agent who works with the terrorist database. This is the first book in the Camel Club series and we receive a little background on the fellows but at this point we don't know them well. Lots of characters with a fascinating plot that intricately comes together. The final 100 pages were so suspenseful and exciting that I couldn't put the book down. This is not so much a standard murder mystery but a spy/terrorist/political machinations suspense story. For those who like some of real life woven into a suspenseful story, start here. (Near the end you'll learn why they named themselves The Camel Club). ( )
  Chark | Jun 7, 2021 |

David Baldacciprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marjamäki, PekkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
This novel is dedicated to the men and women of the United States Secret Service.
And to Larry Kirshbaum, a first-rate editor, a great publisher, and a wonderful friend.
The Chevy Suburban sped down the road, enveloped by the hushed darkness of the Virginia country-side.

Hachette Book Group

6 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0446615625, 0446578800, 1594830835, 1594830827, 1594839514, 0446176893

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,660,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible