The Rise and Fall of a Yummy Mummy

by Polly Williams

For every mum who has trodden on one plastic brick too many, or looked at her phone instead of lovingly recording her little one's every moment, or poured a large wine because it's four o'clock on Friday. If you've ever shared a post from the Unmumsy Mum or giggled at Hurrah for Gin, this book is for you. Amy Crane is in crisis. Six months after the birth of her baby, Amy still looks pregnant and can't remember the last time she had a wax, or an orgasm. Motherhood is stirring up disturbing questions about her own childhood. And she suspects her boyfriend is cheating. Enter Alice, yummy mummy superior, on a mission to transform Amy's body, and love life. As Amy swaps breast pads for Botox and climbs out of a vortex of self-doubt, her libido awakens from its long nap and things get rather more complicated ... A wonderfully well-written, funny and sharp novel about the trials of playing hip happy families and the contradictions at the heart of modern motherhood.… (more)

I've never read any books by this author before, and apparently baby sick lit is a thing! Despite being childless, I still enjoyed this. The idea of losing one's identity during and after pregnancy is not a totally alien concept to people like me, and it is easy to see how a head can be turned if self esteem is at rock bottom. The characters are well written, if at times shallow and slightly stereotyped, and it made for a pleasant holiday read.

Would I read more of her work? Well probably, since I have at least one more of hers sitting at home on my shelf!! Would I go out of my way to read more of her work? Probably not. It would take a lot more for her to join my chick lit must read authors (Jenny and Katie) - maybe me suddenly having an offspring so I can really identify with the characters...maybe her other work will hit the right chord instead. ( )
  peelap | Feb 3, 2019 |
This somewhat racy romance does have a couple of unexpected twists in it. Amy’s daughter is now six months old but Amy and her boyfriend Joe have not settled into a happy, routine life yet. In fact, they are definitely not on the same page when it comes to their expectations. Evie does not sleep through the night, Amy feels frumpy, Joe is busy with his work, and both are always tired. Joe does not approve of Amy’s friends, and Amy is fearful that Joe finds her unattractive and is seeking affection elsewhere. Whew! And that’s just the beginning! Amy is a bit whiny, and Joe is mostly right about her friends. Not a great cast of characters, and really, some open communication would have helped tremendously. The second half of the novel is far better than the first, and the characters do show some maturity before the story ends. This story is good for a summer beach read, if you just want to while away a few hours. ( )
  Maydacat | Jun 4, 2018 |
This book is a great read for anyone who has gone through the life altering event of being pregnant. It grasps expertly the feeling of your body not being your own anymore, even after having the baby. It shows how the mother can often times feel invisible after having gone from her own person to someone that another human so totally relies upon. It dragged me in and I was held captive until the very last page. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Loved this book. Having struggled through those early baby years myself I totally got Amy and her fears and exhaustion! Quite unexpectedly gritty and the plot moves along at a good pace. Good bedtime reading. ( )
  DaisyWhite | Nov 18, 2014 |
Not worth my time, really disappointing.
  strtrek | Jan 3, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,503,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible