Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner

Absalom, Absalom! (1936)

by William Faulkner

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (LKAYC)
    Lyric of the Circle Heart: The Bowman Family Trilogy (American Literature Series) by William Eastlake (rickyrickyricky)
    rickyrickyricky: Set in Navajo country, Eastlake's western trilogy shares a lot with Faulkner's mythopoeic Yoknapatawpha. With a taste of Kesey's lunacy. It's good, real friggin'good.
    The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (WSB7)
    WSB7: Contrasting tragedies of brothers "bonding" with unknown half-brothers.
    Moby Dick by Herman Melville (ateolf)

English (58)  French (4)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (65)
  abbeyhar | Jul 23, 2014 |
This is NOT an easy read, on the contrary, it is difficult in that it is structurally archaic, not that I'm complaining: I'm NOT! His prose are so embedded, and his sentences so long, that one must SURELY concentrate, no disturbances, and focus on the plot at every moment. But if you do, you will find a terrifically told story about the old south before, during and after the war; the conventions of the southerners, what they indicated in their behaviors as to what was right and wrong, and how family as well as strangers were dealt with. I LOVED this book, if for nothing else, for the sheer complication and elegance of the language. But the story is beautifully told, not by one narrator, but various narrators/characters in the book. You MUST consider reading it with an open mind, and a concentrated intellect, and then understand Faulkner's writing as purely romantic prose of the south. The plot, being told by a number of different characters makes it a bit difficult to decipher what is going on at times...for me, mainly because I got lost in his lengthy sentences, but I find myself wanting to read it again (and again!) because I imagine him speaking and telling the story in his style of prose...I loved it. ( )
  socalnovelist | Jun 26, 2014 |
  socalnovelist | Jun 26, 2014 |
A poll of well over a hundred writers and critics, taken a few years back by Oxford American magazine, named William Faulkner’s “Absalom, Absalom!” the “greatest Southern novel ever written,” by a decisive margin

William Faulknerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kandinsky, WolframNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
From a little after two o'clock until almost sundown of the long still hot weary dead September afternoon they sat in what Miss Coldfield still called the office because her father had called it that---
"Why do you hate the South?"

“Read, read, read. Read everything—trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the master. Read! You’ll absorb it. Then write. If it is good, you’ll find out. If it’s not, throw it out the window.” —William Faulkner

Absalom, Absalom! is Faulkner’s epic tale of Thomas Sutpen, an enigmatic stranger who comes to Jefferson, Mississippi, in the early 1830s to wrest his mansion out of the muddy bottoms of the north Mississippi wilderness. He was a man, Faulkner said, “who wanted sons and the sons destroyed him.”

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:32 -0400)

The story of Thomas Sutpen, an enigmatic stranger who came to Jefferson in the early 1830s to wrest his mansion out of the muddy bottoms of the north Mississippi wilderness. He was a man, Faulkner said, "who wanted sons and the sons destroyed him." Faulkner's classic story of Thomas Sutpen, an enigmatic stranger who came to Jefferson in the early 1830s to wrest his mansion out of the muddy bottoms of the north Mississippi wilderness, is now available in a corrected text Vintage Edition.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,247,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible