Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner

Absalom, Absalom! (1936)

by William Faulkner

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (LKAYC)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (ateolf)
    Lyric of the Circle Heart: The Bowman Family Trilogy (American Literature Series) by William Eastlake (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: Set in Navajo country, Eastlake's western trilogy shares a lot with Faulkner's mythopoeic Yoknapatawpha. With a taste of Kesey's lunacy. It's good, real friggin'good.
    Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (WSB7)
    WSB7: Contrasting tragedies of brothers "bonding" with unknown half-brothers.
    Moby Dick by Herman Melville (ateolf)

English (67)  French (5)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (76)
This was a tough read for me -full of never ending sentences. The story seems to be told through a mist, often difficult to follow and to tell who is speaking. It was interesting and challenging. I'm glad I got through it, but need something a tad more fun now. ( )
  melanieklo | Jul 25, 2018 |
It's Faulkner ( )
  margaretfield | Jan 22, 2018 |
Helps if you have read "The Sound and The Fury" first, not mandatory but, there are parts you will understand more if you have. ( )
  armysquirrel | Jan 1, 2018 |
i only got halfway through this. i'll finish it sometime. ( )
  Abbey_Harlow | Oct 5, 2017 |
Poetic and hypnotizing. Unfortunately my experience was somewhat ruined by reading it on my phone's Kindle app. Now I know ebooks fuck up more than just pagination.

Paragraphs do more than just structure and pace a narrative - they provide waypoints and shelter for the eyes - so in a book where paragraphs can go on and on for page after page the arrival of indentation is something like an oasis. The exhaustion of reading is part of the style. But when that same book is divided across 1000s of phone screens, each of which is a square block of text, indentation takes on a heightened significance, almost like a chapter break. And it can't be anticipated or really counted on because you are only able to see a sentence or two ahead at a time.

Because of this I literally became lost in a sea of words. I was unable to recognize the winding-down of a paragraph as a new one approached – sort of like reading a complex sentence stripped of its punctuation. It's interesting to think that my experience might have actually elevated an affect of this long-sentence, long-paragraph style, but I don’t think I experienced the book the way I was supposed to. ( )
  Algybama | Jan 23, 2017 |
A poll of well over a hundred writers and critics, taken a few years back by Oxford American magazine, named William Faulkner’s “Absalom, Absalom!” the “greatest Southern novel ever written,” by a decisive margin

William Faulknerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kandinsky, WolframNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
From a little after two o'clock until almost sundown of the long still hot weary dead September afternoon they sat in what Miss Coldfield still called the office because her father had called it that---
"Why do you hate the South?"

“Read, read, read. Read everything—trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the master. Read! You’ll absorb it. Then write. If it is good, you’ll find out. If it’s not, throw it out the window.” —William Faulkner

Absalom, Absalom! is Faulkner’s epic tale of Thomas Sutpen, an enigmatic stranger who comes to Jefferson, Mississippi, in the early 1830s to wrest his mansion out of the muddy bottoms of the north Mississippi wilderness. He was a man, Faulkner said, “who wanted sons and the sons destroyed him.”

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:19 -0400)

The story of Thomas Sutpen, an enigmatic stranger who came to Jefferson in the early 1830s to wrest his mansion out of the muddy bottoms of the north Mississippi wilderness. He was a man, Faulkner said, "who wanted sons and the sons destroyed him." Faulkner's classic story of Thomas Sutpen, an enigmatic stranger who came to Jefferson in the early 1830s to wrest his mansion out of the muddy bottoms of the north Mississippi wilderness, is now available in a corrected text Vintage Edition.… (more)

Legacy Library: William Faulkner

William Faulkner has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See William Faulkner's legacy profile.

See William Faulkner's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,806,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible