Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie

Ancillary Justice

by Ann Leckie

Series: Imperial Radch (1)

3,2512422,541 (3.98)1 / 488
Recently added bydpbernath, private library, Sept, garynotharry, NormalMostly, Kitck4t, iftyzaidi, DaveRees, nowviskie
    The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin (lquilter)
    lquilter: Fans of either Le Guin's Left Hand of Darkness or Leckie's Ancillary Justice should enjoy the other. In common, the pacing, character-centered perspective obscuring aspects of the universe, political machinations, far-future setting, and treatment of ethics; also interesting for its simultaneous foregrounding and backgrounding of gender.… (more)
    Ring of Swords by Eleanor Arnason (libron)
    libron: Arnason's depiction of an alternative (alien) gender/social structure is awesome. I hope Leckie can flesh her own ideas out further beyond pronoun ambiguity in forthcoming books.
    Ghost Spin by Chris Moriarty (libron)
    libron: Ancillary Justice is great - but for a nuanced, riveting treatment of AI, Moriarty has her beat, hands down. I hope to see more rigorous explorations in future of what Leckie has limned in her first outing.
    The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are optimistic space operas that focus on the characters and their relationships.
    A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (electronicmemory)
    Embassytown by China Miéville (electronicmemory)
    Foreigner by C. J. Cherryh (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Leckie has said that Cherryh's Foreigner books were a big influence on Ancillary Justice and sequels
    A Matter of Oaths by Helen S. Wright (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Some of the dynamics in Leckie's Ancillary Justice remind me of the much more obscure single-volume space opera Wright's A Matter of Oaths about two warring immortal emperors and a protagonist with a mysterious connection to them- if you like one, you may like the other.… (more)
    Fool's War by Sarah Zettel (Dilara86)
    Dilara86: Sentient AIs and spaceships
    The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Utterly different in tone, this also features the "mind" of a ship and the people she interacts with.
    All Systems Red by Martha Wells (chlorine)
    chlorine: Main protagonists are at least somewhat AI, and both books have a neutral take on gender.
    The Lazarus War: Artefact by Jamie Sawyer (dClauzel)
    Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey (g33kgrrl)
    Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee (souloftherose)

English (249)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (251)
I couldn't go further than the 50 first pages. Things were too weird for me. ( )
  Sept | May 21, 2019 |
One of the blurbs on the cover of this book claims that this debut novel "establishes Leckie as an heir to Banks". As much as one can form such a judgement on the basis of one book, I find myself in agreement and that is high praise indeed given that Iain M. Banks was one of my favourite authors. As space opera it is a thrilling and exciting read; as a fiction of ideas it is innovative and surprising; and as an emotional experience the main characters are compelling. Great stuff. ( )
  iftyzaidi | May 20, 2019 |
OHI am particularly interested in civil disobedience because I am looking at 3 months in a federal penitentiary for the mildest act of civil disobedience one can imagine. (You can look up Ground Zero Center for Nonviolent Action for more about that.) Here's the quote "'If you're going to do something that crazy, save it for when it'll make a difference'". Lieutenant Skaaiat had said, and I had agreed. I still agree. The problem is knowing when what you are about to do will make a difference. I'm not only speaking of the small actions that, cumulatively, over time, or in great numbers, steer the course of events in ways too chaotic or subtle to trace.. (but) the single word that directs a person's fate and ultimately the fates of those she comes in come in contact with..."
Which reminds me of a subtle language shift in this story: the default pronoun is female. There are gendered people here, but I was constantly caught out in my assumptions. Delightful! ( )
1 vote MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
Jegliches Konzept von Perspektive und Geschlecht, das wir kennen, wird arg auf die Probe gestellt. Breq heißt eigentlich Justice of Toren One Esk. Breq ist Radch, eine Spezies, die die Zivilisation im Weltall verbreiten will und dabei Planeten und deren Völker annektiert. Radch haben kein Zweigeschlechtliches Konzept. Von allen Figuren wird in der weiblichen Person Singular erzählt. Wenn Breq in anderen Sprachen konversiert, wird deutlich, welche Herausforderung es für Breq ist, die korrekte Form zu verwenden ohne das Gegenüber vor den Kopf zu stoßen. Ergo merkt man als Leser sehr schnell, wie man automatisch davon ausgeht, dass alle Figuren weiblich sind und ist überrascht, wenn dritte das eigentliche Geschlecht der Figuren kurz erwähnen. Meines Erachtens gelingt es Leckie hier ganz stark zu zeigen, welchen Einfluss die Sprache auf die eigene Wahrnehmung hat, ganz besonders im Hinblick auf das Geschlecht. Es ist wirklich ein beeindruckendes Experiment. Viele Rezensenten bemängeln, dass das Buch langatmig sei aber ich denke, das ist der Hauptfigur geschuldet, die immerhin eine AI ist und sehr emotionslos erzählt. Da Justice of Toren ein Raumschiff ist, das durch sogenannte Ancillaries (Menschen, die mit der KI ‚programmiert‘ wurden und somit von ihr gesteuert werden) an mehreren Orten gleichzeitig ist, wechselt die Erzählperspektive schnell und viel. Das hat einige Seiten gedauert, bis ich mich daran gewöhnt hatte. Allerdings macht es das ganze gleichzeitig anstrengend und aufregend zugleich. Justice of Toren One Esk ist ein solcher Ancillary. Sofern ich es nicht überlesen habe, wird das Geschlecht von One Esk (Breq) nie erwähnt. Aber es spielt auch ehrlich keine Rolle.

Das Universum, das Leckie hier geschaffen hat, ist groß. Die Radch mit ihren Ancillaries erinnern etwas an die Borg. Die Gesellschaft etwas ans alte Rom, das als Imperium ja auch viele Fortschritte brachte aber sein eigenes System und Gesellschaft aufgezwungen hat. Trotzdem ist das Buch nicht einfach die Römer im Weltraum. Es ist soviel mehr und regt klar zum denken an. Auch das Konzept mit dem Umgang bestehender Religionen auf einem annektierten Planeten ist interessant.

Mein Fazit:
Obwohl der Einstieg etwas schwer fiel, hat mich das Buch überzeugt und ich habe schnell gemerkt, wieviel ich seitdem darüber nachdenke. Manche Rezensenten merkten an, dass ihnen die Figuren egal waren und sie keine richtige Beziehung zu ihnen aufbauen konnten. Dem kann ich so nicht zustimmen. Breq ist mir ans Herz gewachsen. Sehr sogar. Auch Sejvarden macht eine große Entwicklung durch, wenn auch schwer von Breq einzuschätzen. Es lohnt sich jedenfalls, dranzubleiben. Ich habe das englische Original gelesenund werde auch noch die deutsche Übersetzung bei Gelegenheit lesen um zu sehen wie mit den Geschlechterbezeichnungen umgegangen worden ist.

Definitiv ein Buch, das im starken Kontrast zum Wohlfühlfaktor bei Becky Chambers‘ Buch steht, aber nicht weniger gut. Mir hats sehr gut gefallen. Die folgenden Bände der Reihe werde ich auch noch lesen. ( )
  Powerschnute | Mar 21, 2019 |
An interesting read. I can't remember the last time I read a fiction novel and walked away without a certainty that, were I magically transported to that place, I could survive rather well with the knowledge the story had shared with the reader. The characters here are simultaneously sympathetic and alien, and their culture is so unlike our own as to require a fair bit of the story to explain even the smallest details.
All in all, though, a decent world-build, and some truly creative narrative choices. I found the use of only the feminine pronoun an oddly soothing choice, as it dismissed any concerns over gender or possible sexual tensions. And writing from the POV of a stranded hivemind was an inspired choice. ( )
  Ubiquitine | Nov 24, 2018 |

Ann Leckieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kempen, BernhardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nunez, BillyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents, Mary P. and David N. Dietzler, who didn't live to see this book but were always sure it would exist.
The body lay naked and facedown, a deathly gray, spatters of blood staining the snow around it.
Surely it isn't illegal here to complain about young people these days? How cruel. I had thought it a basic part of human nature, one of the few universally practiced human customs.

On a remote, icy planet, the soldier known as Breq is drawing closer to completing her quest. Once, she was the Justice of Toren - a colossal starship with an artificial intelligence linking thousands of soldiers in the service of the Radch, the empire that conquered the galaxy. Now, an act of treachery has ripped it all away, leaving her with one fragile human body, unanswered questions, and a burning desire for vengeance. - Goodreads.com
It's alive... or dead.
A.I. or human? Who cares!
She, or he, is BREQ!
(pickupsticks)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031624662X, Paperback)

Breq is both more than she seems and less than she was. Years ago, she was the Justice of Toren--a colossal starship with an artificial intelligence linking thousands of corpse soldiers in the service of the Radch, the empire that conquered the galaxy.

An act of treachery has ripped it all away, leaving her with only one fragile human body. And only one purpose--to revenge herself on Anaander Mianaai, many-bodied, near-immortal Lord of the Radch.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:02 -0400)

Now isolated in a single frail human body, Breq, an artificial intelligence that used to control of a massive starship and its crew of soldiers, tries to adjust to her new humanity while seeking vengeance and answers to her questions.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ann Leckie's book Ancillary Justice was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Ann Leckie is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,844,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible