Loving Frank: A Novel by Nancy Horan

Loving Frank: A Novel

by Nancy Horan

English (176)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (178)
Here is my take on the book. It was a painful read for me because of it's mirroring of my own personal life. I resemble the character of Edwin Cheney. I completely understood as he watched his wife, Mamah walk out of his life with Frank Lloyd Wright. So for me, the subject matter was very painful to read. It was like pouring salt in old wounds.

On the flip side, the author's writing is very authentic. She did a good job of stirring up emotions in me regarding the chain of events in the life of Mamah Cheney. I was angry at the descriptions of how these two were destroying not only their own lives but the lives of others. And for what? All because the grass is always greener on the other side. Why is it always greener? Because all you see is the top of the grass. Once you climb over the fence, you start seeing all of the manure that is fertilizing all that grass. And that is exactly what happened to Mamah.

I was elated with a sense of justice as Mamah slowly discovered who Frank Lloyd Wright really was and how he treated people, and how completely selfish he was. Then the grass was not so green. But throughout the entire book I was reading about how this woman wanted her sense of self. How she was loosing herself in her marriage with Edwin Cheney (who was a very good provider for her and her children). But at what cost?

Lets just say that this story is reminiscent of a Greek trajedy where the collateral damage was extensive. The author does a good job of keeping me reading and involved in the story, even if it was painful for me.

One of the things I did not understand was how she was leading this very opulent lifestyle. I understood exactly how Frank Lloyd Write lived his life in regards to finances. In fact, one of my favorite parts of the book was on how they depicted him as rooking and cheating people for what he wanted. But I really did not understand hers. She had a lot of money for someone who was not really gainfully employed. This detracted from the believability of the story for me.

I would recommend this book. The fact that the subject matter had personal ties to me should not impact any future readers. I think you will find the author's writing to be clear and concise and easy to follow. ( )
  DVerdecia | Jan 29, 2016 |
This story of the love affair of Mamah Borthwick Cheney and Frank Lloyd Wright was written well by the author and was surprisingly good. But I did have to get right to the end to decide how well I liked it. The author explains in the Afterword how she tried to be as historically correct as possible in her telling and researched as deeply as she could to give the true story of this couple and their lives together. I would recommend it! ( )
  TerriS | Jan 17, 2016 |
A well-written and thoroughly researched story about the life and personality of Frank Lloyd Wright, and his great love affair, which ended tragically. He's not a very likable character, but it's a very interesting read. ( )
  kimberwolf | Jan 16, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book...apparently I like historical romance type books...but I hated the ending. Of course, it didn't help when I learned that the ending really happened!!!!!!!!
  CassandraSabo | Dec 5, 2015 |
I usually enjoy reading historical fiction but found this long-winded and not very interesting. I mistakenly read how the book would end so the element of surprise was gone even though the actual fate of these characters was quite shocking. I never did understand the attraction as it didn't do a good job of developing the love story. The old adage that life is stranger than fiction is lost on this novel. Even though the lifesytle was shocking for that time period, I thought it was lacking in feeling and depth. ( )
  critterbug | Jul 21, 2015 |
One lives but once in the world.
~Johann Wolfgang von Goeth
For Kevin
It was Edwin who wanted to build a new house.
Mamah describes Wright as someone who, "had come to mistake his gift for the whole of his character."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345495004, Paperback)

Amazon Significant Seven, August 2007: It's a rare treasure to find a historically imagined novel that is at once fully versed in the facts and unafraid of weaving those truths into a story that dares to explore the unanswered questions. Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah Cheney's love story is--as many early reviews of Loving Frank have noted--little-known and often dismissed as scandal. In Nancy Horan's skillful hands, however, what you get is two fully realized people, entirely, irrepressibly, in love. Together, Frank and Mamah are a wholly modern portrait, and while you can easily imagine them in the here and now, it's their presence in the world of early 20th century America that shades how authentic and, ultimately, tragic their story is. Mamah's bright, earnest spirit is particularly tender in the context of her time and place, which afforded her little opportunity to realize the intellectual life for which she yearned. Loving Frank is a remarkable literary achievement, tenderly acute and even-handed in even the most heartbreaking moments, and an auspicious debut from a writer to watch. --Anne Bartholomew

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:58 -0400)

Fact and fiction blend in a historical novel that chronicles the relationship between seminal architect Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah Cheney, from their meeting, when they were each married to another, to the clandestine affair that shocked Chicago society.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,270,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible