Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver

The Bean Trees (1988)

by Barbara Kingsolver

Series: Turtle (1)

Barbara Kingsolver is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors, even though this is only the second of her books that I've read.

The Bean Trees is the story of Taylor Green (born Marietta), who manages to leave her Kentucky home and head west. Along the way, she unexpectedly gains custody of a baby and ends up in Arizona. There, Taylor finds friends who become a new family for her, and she learns that the things that she always avoided were actually the things that she values the most now.

Taylor is one of my favorite narrators. She's funny, irreverent, and clever. I loved the relationship between her and Lou Ann, and I appreciated the fact that, at least in the beginning, Taylor wasn't a good parent to Turtle, and she knew it. She absolutely had faults and weaknesses that balanced her out and made her a much more dynamic character.

I would honestly love to read more about Mattie: her history, how she became the person that she is now. She was fascinating to me - as was the story of Estevan and Esperanza, which I'd also like to learn more about. ( )
  kristi_test_01 | Dec 17, 2018 |

loranne_test_01 | Nov 12, 2018 |

RebeccaDixon13 | Nov 9, 2018 |
Barbara Kingsolver remains one of my favorite authors for her ability to weave many issues into a compelling plot about interesting characters. Many books that talk about issues make them a front-facing part of the plot whereas many here are explored by the characters as they discover them. Kingsolver is particularly good at making wonderfully true women in her books. ( )
  mmaestiho | Sep 20, 2018 |
When is goodreads going to let us do half ratings?? I give this one 3.5. ( )
  shan.blackman | Aug 21, 2018 |
Barbara Kingsolver can write. On any page of this accomplished first novel, you can find a striking image or fine dialogue or a telling bit of drama.

Barbara Kingsolverprimary authorall editionscalculated
Critt, C.J.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Desimini, LisaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Noli, SuzanneCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pearce, SusanAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Annie and Joe
For Ismene, and all the mothers who have lost her (10th Anniversary Edition)
I have been afraid of putting air in a tire ever since I saw a tractor tire blow up and throw Newt Hardbines's father over the top of the Standard Oil sign.
I mean, we've got to live in the exact same world every damn day of the week, don't we?

Meet Taylor Greet. Clear-eyed and spirited, she grew up poor in rural Kentucky with two goals: to avoid pregnancy and to get away. She succeeds on both counts when she buys a 55 Volkswagen and heads west. But by the time our plucky if unlikely heroine pulls up on the outskirts of Tucson, Arizona, at an auto repair shop called Jesus is Lord Used Tires that also happens to be a sanctuary for Central American refugees, she's "inherited" a three-year-old American Indian girl named Turtle. What follows - as Taylor meets the human condition head-on - is at theheart of this memorable novel about love and friendship, abandonment and belonging, and the discovery of surprising resources in apparently empty places.

(0-06-091554-4)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061097314, Mass Market Paperback)

Clear-eyed and spirited, Taylor Greer grew up poor in rural Kentucky with the goals of avoiding pregnancy and getting away. But when she heads west with high hopes and a barely functional car, she meets the human condition head-on. By the time Taylor arrives in Tucson, Arizona, she has acquired a completely unexpected child, a three-year-old American Indian girl named Turtle, and must somehow come to terms with both motherhood and the necessity for putting down roots. Hers is a story about love and friendship, abandonment and belonging, and the discovery of surprising resources in apparently empty places.

Available for the first time in mass-market, this edition of Barbara Kingsolver's bestselling novel, The Bean Trees, will be in stores everywhere in September. With two different but equally handsome covers, this book is a fine addition to your Kingsolver library.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:52 -0400)

Taylor, a poor Kentuckian, makes her way west with an abandoned baby girl and stops in Tucson. There, she finds friends and discovers resources in apparently empty places.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,418,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible