Eldest by Christopher Paolini

Eldest (2005)

by Christopher Paolini

Series: The Inheritance Cycle (2)

Eragon by Christopher Paolini (annt)
    Archie Wilson: & The Nuckelavee (Volume 1) by Mark A. Cooper (cherylschenick)
    The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: It is similar in time and creatures.

English (214)  German (3)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (222)
@eldest +eragon ( )
  Lorem | Sep 4, 2015 |
"I am giving this fours stars only because, despite it being perfect, it was a little too slow at some points, like when Eragon was traveling to the land of the elves. Too many nights having small talk around a campfire for my taste, you know? Regardless, in all other aspects this book is beautiful. Paolini has created a world of its own; even though people sometimes accuse him of copying a little of the work of others, I disagree. Alagaësia doesn't feel like anything I've read before. It is a unique land with unique culture, old magic and background history; seriously, there's nothing not to like about it.

The story on this one takes up immediately from the end of [b:Eragon|113436|Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1)|Christopher Paolini|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1366212852s/113436.jpg|3178011]. Eragon and Saphira spend some time with the Varden, where they learn some important lessons about the responsibilities of a dragon rider and also a lot of dwarf culture. Soon enough, though, Eragon, Saphira, Arya and Orik depart for Ellesméra, the land of the elves, for Eragon must learn more about magic if he is to defeat Galbatorix. After uncountable nights traveling through the most beautiful landscapes, they finally get there. Here is where Paolini, visibly, started to single himself out as a free writer; he takes a courageous leap of originality and creates his own elves, with their own unique culture and magic. Magic. This is the word for Ellésmera. It flourishes from magic, from the smallest sprout to the biggest tree, and trees are really big there... some of them contain houses. It's so breath-taking and vivid that I remember having dreams, for days, of myself roaming through Ellesméra, contemplating all its magnificence.

From the point Eragon's training begins, though, despite it being very interesting to know the foundations of Paolini's magic, things get nasty. Some elves can be a bunch of arrogant pricks when they want to. Some of them refuse to acknowledge Eragon, a foreigner teenager human, as their only hope against Galbatorix, so they turn everything into a chance to remind him of how weak he is. Fortunately, though, the Universe is on Eragon's side, so after a little time some events occur which make him more prepared to face the tasks which his future reserves for him. I don't think he would have survived Ellesméra had it not happened.

Overall, this book was better than I was expecting, after having liked the first one so much already. A lot of background history was revealed, which made the whole thing much more believable and coherent. I can relate a lot more to Eragon now, after all the trials he had to face; sometimes I even physically reacted to what was happening to him, which can only be thanked to Paolini's extraordinary gift with words. About the events that take place at the end of the book, I can only say one thing: I didn't like Murtagh that much before his disappearance, now I hate him. Very. Much.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
Live in the present, remember the past, and fear not the future, for it doesn't exist and never shall. There is only now.
Wise? No, I simply learned to think.
You cannot miss what you have never had.

The Last Passage
Unable to sustain the spell any longer, Eragon let the image fade away. He leaned against the wall of the tent for support. ""Aye,"" he said wearily, ""she's alive. And chances are, she's imprisoned in Helgrind, in the Ra'zac's lair."" Eragon grasped Roran by the shoulders. ""The answer to your question, brother, is yes. I will travel to Dras-Leona with you. I will help you to rescue Katrina. And then, together, you and I shall kill the Ra'zac and avenge our father.""" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
Eldest is the second book in the Inheritance series. After ending Eragon in a way that, while it makes sense and you know it will be continued, seems a little anti-climactic, Eldest starts off a little slow, trying to pick up where Eragon left off and set things up for the rest of the book. The plot soon picks up, though. In this book, Eragon goes off to live with the elves and train to be a Dragon Rider. Meanwhile, soldiers as well as dangerous creatures called the Ra'zac have gone to Eragon's hometown, looking to capture his cousin Roran. Roran decides that he won't go willingly, and manages to inspire the town to stand behind him as they rebel. This side plot is used in an interesting way; although Eragon's training is interesting, it slows down the plot, and it is at those moments when more information about Roran's plight is inserted. Overall, it is another interesting book, with a 'plot twist' at the end (which most might see coming, but that's ok) that makes the reader interested in finding out what will happen to Eragon and his friends next.
  GretchenLynn | Feb 24, 2015 |
The second book in a four part series of epic proportions. These books have been compared to so many different kinds of stories, some have said Star Wars, some have said Lord of the Rings, personally I find some Pern and DragonHeart in here as well, but what is important isn't what parts of another story you find within this one, it is how much you enjoy being swept into the adventure that is provided to you.

I honestly love the culture created around these characters and I enjoyed having the time to sit down and get swept away in the Elven and Rider cultures as Eragon studies, while dealing with the survival of the Human culture as Roran struggles to save his people. In Eldest you don't just have the evolution and growth of one character, you have the evolution and growth of two related characters and it is very interesting to see the differences and similarities in how each handles the situation (and new power) that they are given. This is a story about change, it is a story about moving on, it is a story about surviving and finding a way to fight something that you are certain is going to overpower you

Beyond the creation of culture, what makes a fantasy adventure like this one so appealing to me is the ability to paint the picture in the reader's mind with such detail that you feel as if you are seeing it happen before your eyes rather than reading the book. If I can think back on the plot of a story and see the images rather than the words on a page, then everything has been done perfectly. So far that has been the case with this series and has certainly been the case throughout this particular book. I might not be able to tell you what page I'm on, but I can tell you what that Elven abode looks like and how a boat rocked on the waves. Can't wait to continue the series. ( )
  mirrani | Jan 10, 2015 |
Having read the first book in the cycle, I would also like to have the second one in my library. It is important to have at least the first two books of a series in the classroom, giving a young reader time to get hooked (or not) on a series and decide for themselves whether or not continue reading it.
  Climbing-books | Dec 18, 2014 |
Nothing wrong with a good thick serving of swords 'n' sorcery, but it needs a hero. In the hands of a writer like George R.R. Martin, Lois McMaster Bujold, Barbara Hambly, or J. K. Rowling, the central characters of fantasy are persons worth knowing: smart, flawed, moral, doomed to love the world more than the world loves back. It's fun that they're kings and queens and wizards, but we read the books because Miles Vorkosigan or Harry Potter are in them, the kind of people we'd like to know and be. Unfortunately, Eragon just doesn't measure up to the standard; he's a Frankenstein video-game hero, clanking with magic armor, charms, and weapons, but long on seams and short that essential spark of life.
It's clear that Paolini has drive and talent, and "Eldest" is, for the most part, competently constructed and written. The problem, however, is that anyone committed to reading a 2,000-page epic deserves more than competence and tropes that have been used countless times before.

Paolini, Christopherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scotto di Santillo, Maria ConcettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"As always, this book is for my family. And also to my incredible fans. You made this adventure possible. Se onr sverdar sitja hvass!"
"The songs of the dead are the lamentations of the living."

Eragon Shadeslayer may have protected the Varden from the wrath of an army of Urgals, but his skills still pale in comparison to those of the mighty tyrant Galbatorix, who he must overthrow to restore peace to the land of Alagaësia. He and Saphira must venture to the elven city of Ellesméra in the far north, to complete their training as Rider and dragon. Eragon, however, still carries a debilitating scar from his battle with the Shade Durza, and begins to wonder if any amount of training can ever place him on equal footing with Galbatorix. Elsewhere, Eragon’s cousin Roran struggles for survival as the misshapen Ra’zac besiege his hometown, intent on using him to bring Eragon under control. As both cousins struggle against overwhelming odds, the king rallies his forces to crush the Varden – and with them, all hope of resistance.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375840400, Paperback)

Surpassing its popular prequel Eragon, this second volume in the Inheritance trilogy shows growing maturity and skill on the part of its very young author, who was only seventeen when the first volume was published in 2003. The story is solidly in the tradition (some might say derivative) of the classic heroic quest fantasy, with the predictable cast of dwarves, elves, and dragons--but also including some imaginatively creepy creatures of evil.

The land of Alagaesia is suffering under the Empire of the wicked Galbatorix, and Eragon and his dragon Saphira, last of the Riders, are the only hope. But Eragon is young and has much to learn, and so he is sent off to the elven forest city of Ellesmera, where he and Saphira are tutored in magic, battle skills, and the ancient language by the wise former Rider Oromis and his elderly dragon Glaedr. Meanwhile, back at Carvahall, Eragon's home, his cousin Roran is the target of a siege by the hideous Ra'zac, and he must lead the villagers on a desperate escape over the mountains. The two narratives move toward a massive battle with the forces of Galbatorix, where Eragon learns a shocking secret about his parentage and commits himself to saving his people.

The sheer size of the novel, as well as its many characters, places with difficult names, and its use of imaginary languages make this a challenging read, even for experienced fantasy readers. It is essential to have the plot threads of the first volume well in mind before beginning--the publisher has provided not only a map, but a helpful synopsis of the first book and a much-needed Language Guide. But no obstacles will deter the many fans of Eragon from diving headfirst into this highly-awaited fantasy. (Ages 12 and up) --Patty Campbell

Meet Author Christopher Paolini

After successfully evading an Urgals ambush, Eragon is adopted into the Ingeitum clan and sent to finish his training so he can further help the Varden in their struggle against the Empire.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,695,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible