Eldest by Christopher Paolini

Eldest (2005)

by Christopher Paolini

Series: The Inheritance Cycle (2)

Eragon by Christopher Paolini (annt)
    Archie Wilson: & The Nuckelavee (Volume 1) by Mark A. Cooper (cherylschenick)
    The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: It is similar in time and creatures.

English (223)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (232)
Walter Dixon
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
Very interesting! ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
Didn't finish this - found it too overly historical and political with not enough character development and storyline.
  LindsayCal | Feb 15, 2016 |
I've been curious about these books, since they've been such bestsellers, and are already being made into movies. However, when I saw a co-worker reading one of them, and asked her how it was, she said "Eh. Not so good, actually."
And, I'd have to agree.
Admittedly, this was the second in a series, so perhaps I didn't start from the ideal perspective, but I was just not impressed at all.
The subject matter is completely unoriginal - a dragonrider, a la Anne McCaffrey (complete with the telepathic bond and 'whirling' dragon eyes) meets elves and dwarves that are straight out of Tolkien. Nothing new added at all - and not only that, the lack of effective description seems to indicate that Paolini just assumes that we've read McCaffrey and Tolkien, so he doesn't need to reiterate all that stuff - we already know it. The young dragonrider, Eragon, seems anachronistically contemporary in his speech and actions, even though he lives in a faux-medieval-fantasy world. And he soon becomes wish-fulfillment-ly handsome, strong, and talented, due to the gift of a magic spell. Boring. Most of the other characters are very two-dimensional.
I just realized I was about to finish this up, and I didn't mention anything about the plot. That's 'cause it was barely memorable. An evil warlord wants to take over the world with dark magic and the good peoples of the land want to stop him, of course. But not much actually happens.
At least it was a really fast read - although the book is physically large, the pages are thick and the typeface is pretty big - it's not really a very long story. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I probably shouldn't actually call this "abandoned," because I would like to finish it someday. I just never got around to finishing it--I was listening to it on CD while I had a car that had a CD player in it, and then when I didn't anymore, it kind of disappeared.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
Nothing wrong with a good thick serving of swords 'n' sorcery, but it needs a hero. In the hands of a writer like George R.R. Martin, Lois McMaster Bujold, Barbara Hambly, or J. K. Rowling, the central characters of fantasy are persons worth knowing: smart, flawed, moral, doomed to love the world more than the world loves back. It's fun that they're kings and queens and wizards, but we read the books because Miles Vorkosigan or Harry Potter are in them, the kind of people we'd like to know and be. Unfortunately, Eragon just doesn't measure up to the standard; he's a Frankenstein video-game hero, clanking with magic armor, charms, and weapons, but long on seams and short that essential spark of life.

It's clear that Paolini has drive and talent, and "Eldest" is, for the most part, competently constructed and written. The problem, however, is that anyone committed to reading a 2,000-page epic deserves more than competence and tropes that have been used countless times before.

Paolini, Christopherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scotto di Santillo, Maria ConcettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"As always, this book is for my family. And also to my incredible fans. You made this adventure possible. Se onr sverdar sitja hvass!"
"The songs of the dead are the lamentations of the living."

Eragon Shadeslayer may have protected the Varden from the wrath of an army of Urgals, but his skills still pale in comparison to those of the mighty tyrant Galbatorix, who he must overthrow to restore peace to the land of Alagaësia. He and Saphira must venture to the elven city of Ellesméra in the far north, to complete their training as Rider and dragon. Eragon, however, still carries a debilitating scar from his battle with the Shade Durza, and begins to wonder if any amount of training can ever place him on equal footing with Galbatorix. Elsewhere, Eragon’s cousin Roran struggles for survival as the misshapen Ra’zac besiege his hometown, intent on using him to bring Eragon under control. As both cousins struggle against overwhelming odds, the king rallies his forces to crush the Varden – and with them, all hope of resistance.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375840400, Paperback)

Surpassing its popular prequel Eragon, this second volume in the Inheritance trilogy shows growing maturity and skill on the part of its very young author, who was only seventeen when the first volume was published in 2003. The story is solidly in the tradition (some might say derivative) of the classic heroic quest fantasy, with the predictable cast of dwarves, elves, and dragons--but also including some imaginatively creepy creatures of evil.

The land of Alagaesia is suffering under the Empire of the wicked Galbatorix, and Eragon and his dragon Saphira, last of the Riders, are the only hope. But Eragon is young and has much to learn, and so he is sent off to the elven forest city of Ellesmera, where he and Saphira are tutored in magic, battle skills, and the ancient language by the wise former Rider Oromis and his elderly dragon Glaedr. Meanwhile, back at Carvahall, Eragon's home, his cousin Roran is the target of a siege by the hideous Ra'zac, and he must lead the villagers on a desperate escape over the mountains. The two narratives move toward a massive battle with the forces of Galbatorix, where Eragon learns a shocking secret about his parentage and commits himself to saving his people.

The sheer size of the novel, as well as its many characters, places with difficult names, and its use of imaginary languages make this a challenging read, even for experienced fantasy readers. It is essential to have the plot threads of the first volume well in mind before beginning--the publisher has provided not only a map, but a helpful synopsis of the first book and a much-needed Language Guide. But no obstacles will deter the many fans of Eragon from diving headfirst into this highly-awaited fantasy. (Ages 12 and up) --Patty Campbell

Meet Author Christopher Paolini

After successfully evading an Urgals ambush, Eragon is adopted into the Ingeitum clan and sent to finish his training so he can further help the Varden in their struggle against the Empire.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,252,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible