Eldest by Christopher Paolini

Eldest (2005)

by Christopher Paolini

Series: The Inheritance Cycle (2)

Eragon by Christopher Paolini (annt)
    The Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J. R. R. Tolkien (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: It is similar in time and creatures.

English (207)  German (3)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (215)
(7.8)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
The two things why I liked Eldest more than Eragon was....
1. The author had all the different perspectives of the different people and how they all came together in the end.
2. All the exciting action during the war and surprise at the end.(I won't tell)
But I thought it was a little slow at the beginning.....and then it picked up to a good pace. ( )
  AshleyConrad | Oct 3, 2014 |
Not as good as Eragon. It seems to me like he rushed releasing this one, and not enough editing was done to it. Roran's plotline was incredible, and I loved every minute of it, but Eragon's plotline bored me. Could have cut about five chapters down to one and the book would have held my attention better...

Still worth the read though. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book much more than its previous one Eragon.Eragon was a good story but sometimes I felt a little bored with it like when they were traveling and traveling through out most of the story.
But Eldest had great pace,a good storyline,fair amount of action and above all the surprise element which was amazing.I was shocked to discover about Eragon's father.The changes happened to Eragon was also surprising and accepting.But I liked most the part of Roran's adventure.It was exciting and full of tension.I liked how Roran developed as a side character.
So overall I am very pleased and I can't wait so I have already started on the 3rd book. ( )
  sreeparna | Jul 27, 2014 |
Eldest by Christopher Paolini is the second book in the Inheritance series and is an excellent book. The book tells the story of the Dragon Rider Eragon and his dragon Saphira in their battle against the empire and the emperor Galbatorix. After killing the shade Durza at a terrible cost, Eragon is sent to the Elves’ secret capitol city where he is tutored in the ways of the Dragon Riders and taught to use his powers in magic. The cover design is a red dragon. This cover design is appealing. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes fantasy and dragons. ( )
  lchs.mrso | May 20, 2014 |
Nothing wrong with a good thick serving of swords 'n' sorcery, but it needs a hero. In the hands of a writer like George R.R. Martin, Lois McMaster Bujold, Barbara Hambly, or J. K. Rowling, the central characters of fantasy are persons worth knowing: smart, flawed, moral, doomed to love the world more than the world loves back. It's fun that they're kings and queens and wizards, but we read the books because Miles Vorkosigan or Harry Potter are in them, the kind of people we'd like to know and be. Unfortunately, Eragon just doesn't measure up to the standard; he's a Frankenstein video-game hero, clanking with magic armor, charms, and weapons, but long on seams and short that essential spark of life.

It's clear that Paolini has drive and talent, and "Eldest" is, for the most part, competently constructed and written. The problem, however, is that anyone committed to reading a 2,000-page epic deserves more than competence and tropes that have been used countless times before.

Paolini, Christopherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scotto di Santillo, Maria ConcettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"As always, this book is for my family. And also to my incredible fans. You made this adventure possible. Se onr sverdar sitja hvass!"
"The songs of the dead are the lamentations of the living."
'Luisteren is alleen het pad naar wijsheid wanneer dat het resultaatis van een bewust besluit en geen loos waarnemen.'

Eragon Shadeslayer may have protected the Varden from the wrath of an army of Urgals, but his skills still pale in comparison to those of the mighty tyrant Galbatorix, who he must overthrow to restore peace to the land of Alagaësia. He and Saphira must venture to the elven city of Ellesméra in the far north, to complete their training as Rider and dragon. Eragon, however, still carries a debilitating scar from his battle with the Shade Durza, and begins to wonder if any amount of training can ever place him on equal footing with Galbatorix. Elsewhere, Eragon’s cousin Roran struggles for survival as the misshapen Ra’zac besiege his hometown, intent on using him to bring Eragon under control. As both cousins struggle against overwhelming odds, the king rallies his forces to crush the Varden – and with them, all hope of resistance.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375840400, Paperback)

Surpassing its popular prequel Eragon, this second volume in the Inheritance trilogy shows growing maturity and skill on the part of its very young author, who was only seventeen when the first volume was published in 2003. The story is solidly in the tradition (some might say derivative) of the classic heroic quest fantasy, with the predictable cast of dwarves, elves, and dragons--but also including some imaginatively creepy creatures of evil.

The land of Alagaesia is suffering under the Empire of the wicked Galbatorix, and Eragon and his dragon Saphira, last of the Riders, are the only hope. But Eragon is young and has much to learn, and so he is sent off to the elven forest city of Ellesmera, where he and Saphira are tutored in magic, battle skills, and the ancient language by the wise former Rider Oromis and his elderly dragon Glaedr. Meanwhile, back at Carvahall, Eragon's home, his cousin Roran is the target of a siege by the hideous Ra'zac, and he must lead the villagers on a desperate escape over the mountains. The two narratives move toward a massive battle with the forces of Galbatorix, where Eragon learns a shocking secret about his parentage and commits himself to saving his people.

The sheer size of the novel, as well as its many characters, places with difficult names, and its use of imaginary languages make this a challenging read, even for experienced fantasy readers. It is essential to have the plot threads of the first volume well in mind before beginning--the publisher has provided not only a map, but a helpful synopsis of the first book and a much-needed Language Guide. But no obstacles will deter the many fans of Eragon from diving headfirst into this highly-awaited fantasy. (Ages 12 and up) --Patty Campbell

Meet Author Christopher Paolini

After successfully evading an Urgals ambush, Eragon is adopted into the Ingeitum clan and sent to finish his training so he can further help the Varden in their struggle against the Empire.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,331,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible