Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Eragon (2002)

by Christopher Paolini

Series: The Inheritance Cycle (1)

The Hobbit: or There and Back Again by J. R. R. Tolkien (jubjub_luver1)
    jubjub_luver1: Both are great adventure books, full of fantasy, adventure, and dragons!
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (jpers36)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Proginoskes)
    Proginoskes: A necessity for any fan of quality fantasy to read.
    Brisingr by Christopher Paolini (snapplechick)
    Eldest by Christopher Paolini (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Continuation of the story . . .
    The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan (hermionewannabe)
    hermionewannabe: If you enjoy fantasy works than you will love the Eragon series.
    Dragon's Blood by Jane Yolen (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: In Dragon's Blood, indentured servant Jakkin struggles to win his freedom by secretly raising a stolen dragon's egg. I loved Jakkin's bond with his dragon and the intrigue of it all.
    Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (dagnirath)
    Inheritance by Christopher Paolini (dagnirath)
    Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings (dagnirath)
    dagnirath: Pawn of prophecy... has nothing to do with dragons. However, it does have the same writing style, and Eddings is a master storyteller.
    Warhammer 40,000 Codex: Tyranids 2004 by Games Workshop (Journey07)
    Journey07: I recommend this book because it is a great book. Who doesn't love a good story about dragons?
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: If you like quest stories with supernatural creatures, Sea of Trolls is for you. Bard apprentice Jack is kidnapped by Vikings and must face a whole host of creatures straight out of Norse mythology to rescue his sister Lucy.
    Joust by Mercedes Lackey (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Book one of a great series from Mercedes Lackey.
    Children of the Dragon by Rose Estes (infiniteletters)
    The Dragon Circle by Stephen Krensky (infiniteletters)
    Kai's Journey: The New World Chronicles by Charles Siefken (WendySiefken66)
    WendySiefken66: adventure books that will capture your imagination and take you on a journey!
    The Last Dragonlord by Joanne Bertin (Hedgepeth)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (loriephillips)
    Nightpool by Shirley Rousseau Murphy (infiniteletters)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (amyblue)

English (473)  German (5)  Spanish (3)  Croatian (1)  Danish (1)  Vietnamese (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (487)
Eragon is a young adult book styled after The Lord of the Rings. As the first book in the series, it is setting up the background and story of the young boy Eragon and his dragon, Saphira. Most of the characters are well written in the sense that even though the plot can be predictable at times you still want to keep reading to make sure they come out alright. There is a lot of action - the characters seem to go from one conflict to another - which keeps the plot going. The ending is meant to lead straight to the next book; however even knowing that the story continues, the actual end of this first part of it seems a little anti-climactic. Overall it is a decent fantasy book to lose yourself in for a few days.
  GretchenLynn | Feb 21, 2015 |
This is my all time favorite series, and this is the first book. I read this when I was in 6th grade I believe. I absolutely love this book because I like dragons. I like the authors focus on the relationship between a boy and his dragon. This book is a more difficult children's book, and is often more appropriate for middle school. It is fantasy. It is about a boy who finds a dragon egg, and raises the dragon. He becomes a dragon rider and trains with a man named Brom. He joins a group that is against the Empire, called the Varden. In the end of the book he goes up against a magical, powerful Shade, and defeats him, but gets seriously injured in the process. ( )
1 vote NatalieCJones | Feb 2, 2015 |
I found a hardcover copy of this book at my favorite used bookstore and decided to give it a chance since I've heard wonderful things about this series.

While I have to agree with some of the reviewers who said that the plotline seemed predictable in places, I found that that the details of the story were more than original enough to make up for that.

I found the characters to be very easy to connect to and the relationship between Eragon and Saphira to be particularly heartwarming.

I didn't know anything about the series before I started reading. I was nearly halfway through before I looked at the author bio and realized that Mr Paolini was only fifteen when he wrote this story. That's amazing! At fifteen I was far from capable of writing anything longer than fifteen pages, much less something with this level of sophistication.

I'm eagerly awaiting my next trip to the city so I can swing back by my bookstore to pick up the rest of the series. ( )
  Mozzie | Jan 15, 2015 |
This series is gripping -for all ages ( )
  fross | Jan 8, 2015 |
A great book, perfect for those who are actively interested in fantasy literature, and perhaps an introductory novel to those readers just starting out in the genre.
  Climbing-books | Dec 18, 2014 |
''Eragon,'' for all its flaws, is an authentic work of great talent. The story is gripping; it may move awkwardly, but it moves with force. The power of ''Eragon'' lies in its overall effects -- in the sweep of the story and the conviction of its storyteller. Here, Paolini is leagues ahead of most writers, and it is exactly here that his youth is on his side.

Paolini, Christopherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuittinen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scotto di Santillo, Maria ConcettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my mom, for showing me the magic in the world; to my dad, for revealing the man behind the curtain. And also my sister, Angela, for helping me when I'm 'blue.'
Eragon knelt in a bed of trampled reed grass and scanned the tracks with a practiced eye.
It has been one hundred years since the last of the legendary Dragon Riders was slain by the evil Galbatorix, whose tyranny now weighs heavily upon the vast land of Alagaësia. Only three dragon eggs survived the slaughter, and when one of these eggs hatches to a farm-boy named Eragon, Galbatorix dispatches his most fearsome minions to hunt the new Rider down. With his dragon to protect him, Eragon manages to survive the king's first attack, but his uncle is not so lucky. Before long, Eragon finds himself on a quest for revenge that will take him to the far ends of Alagaësia – but an epic power struggle rages around him, and he will soon come to understand the monumental weight of the legacy he has inherited.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440240735, Mass Market Paperback)

Here's a great big fantasy that you can pull over your head like a comfy old sweater and disappear into for a whole weekend. Christopher Paolini began Eragon when he was just 15, and the book shows the influence of Tolkien, of course, but also Terry Brooks, Anne McCaffrey, and perhaps even Wagner in its traditional quest structure and the generally agreed-upon nature of dwarves, elves, dragons, and heroic warfare with magic swords.

Eragon, a young farm boy, finds a marvelous blue stone in a mystical mountain place. Before he can trade it for food to get his family through the hard winter, it hatches a beautiful sapphire-blue dragon, a race thought to be extinct. Eragon bonds with the dragon, and when his family is killed by the marauding Ra'zac, he discovers that he is the last of the Dragon Riders, fated to play a decisive part in the coming war between the human but hidden Varden, dwarves, elves, the diabolical Shades and their neanderthal Urgalls, all pitted against and allied with each other and the evil King Galbatorix. Eragon and his dragon Saphira set out to find their role, growing in magic power and understanding of the complex political situation as they endure perilous travels and sudden battles, dire wounds, capture and escape.

In spite of the engrossing action, this is not a book for the casual fantasy reader. There are 65 names of people, horses, and dragons to be remembered and lots of pseudo-Celtic places, magic words, and phrases in the Ancient Language as well as the speech of the dwarfs and the Urgalls. But the maps and glossaries help, and by the end, readers will be utterly dedicated and eager for the next book, Eldest. (Ages 10 to 14) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:22 -0400)

In Aagaesia, a fifteen-year-old boy of unknown lineage called Eragon finds a mysterious stone that weaves his life into an intricate tapestry of destiny, magic, and power, peopled with dragons, elves, and monsters.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,141,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible