HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Eragon by Christopher Paolini
Loading...

Eragon (2002)

by Christopher Paolini

Other authors: See the other authors section.

Series: The Inheritance Cycle (1)

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
19,58048682 (3.73)518
Recently added byrdelanty, Amberfly, Silver, preplibrary
  1. 212
    The Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J. R. R. Tolkien (jubjub_luver1)
    jubjub_luver1: Both are great adventure books, full of fantasy, adventure, and dragons!
  2. 193
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (jpers36)
  3. 132
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Proginoskes)
    Proginoskes: A necessity for any fan of quality fantasy to read.
  4. 122
    Brisingr by Christopher Paolini (snapplechick)
  5. 112
    Eldest by Christopher Paolini (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Continuation of the story . . .
  6. 60
    The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan (hermionewannabe)
    hermionewannabe: If you enjoy fantasy works than you will love the Eragon series.
  7. 82
    Dragon's Blood by Jane Yolen (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: In Dragon's Blood, indentured servant Jakkin struggles to win his freedom by secretly raising a stolen dragon's egg. I loved Jakkin's bond with his dragon and the intrigue of it all.
  8. 40
    Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (dagnirath)
  9. 51
    Inheritance by Christopher Paolini (dagnirath)
  10. 30
    Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings (dagnirath)
    dagnirath: Pawn of prophecy... has nothing to do with dragons. However, it does have the same writing style, and Eddings is a master storyteller.
  11. 31
    Warhammer 40,000 Codex: Tyranids 2004 by Games Workshop (Journey07)
    Journey07: I recommend this book because it is a great book. Who doesn't love a good story about dragons?
  12. 31
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: If you like quest stories with supernatural creatures, Sea of Trolls is for you. Bard apprentice Jack is kidnapped by Vikings and must face a whole host of creatures straight out of Norse mythology to rescue his sister Lucy.
  13. 31
    Joust by Mercedes Lackey (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Book one of a great series from Mercedes Lackey.
  14. 21
    Children of the Dragon by Rose Estes (infiniteletters)
  15. 10
    The Dragon Circle by Stephen Krensky (infiniteletters)
  16. 10
    Kai's Journey: The New World Chronicles by Charles Siefken (WendySiefken66)
    WendySiefken66: adventure books that will capture your imagination and take you on a journey!
  17. 10
    The Last Dragonlord by Joanne Bertin (Hedgepeth)
  18. 55
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (loriephillips)
  19. 11
    Nightpool by Shirley Rousseau Murphy (infiniteletters)
  20. 22
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (amyblue)

(see all 20 recommendations)

Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 518 mentions

English (470)  German (5)  Spanish (3)  Croatian (1)  Danish (1)  Vietnamese (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (484)
Showing 1-5 of 470 (next | show all)
A great book, perfect for those who are actively interested in fantasy literature, and perhaps an introductory novel to those readers just starting out in the genre.
  Climbing-books | Dec 18, 2014 |
Zu diesem Buch gibt es ja eine Menge an begeisterten Kritiken - und nicht nur von uns 'einfachen' Lesenden ;-). Nein, auch die Presse äußerte sich enthusiastisch zu diesem Erstlingswerk eines 15jährigen, so dass ich mich doch mit einer gewissen Erwartungshaltung an das 700-Seiten-Werk heranmachte. Und war nach den ersten drei, vier Seiten erst mal enttäuscht. Ein relativ schlichter Satzbau, kurze eher wenig ausdruckstarke Satzgebilde - hmm, da muss die Geschichte ja wirklich gut sein, um einen über das Andere hinwegsehen zu lassen.
Und die Geschichte IST wirklich gut! Sogar sehr gut! Eragon, ein 15jähriger Junge kurz vor dem Eintritt ins Mannesalter, findet bei seinen Streifzügen einen blauen Stein, der sich nach einiger Zeit als Drachenei entpuppt. Er zieht das kleine Geschöpf im Verborgenen heran, das ihn jedoch schon nach kurzer Zeit überragt. Als sein Heim zerstört und sein Pflegevater ermordet wird, wird Eragon klar, dass man auf der Suche nach ihm bzw. dem Drachen ist. Zusammen mit dem Geschichtenerzähler Brom und Saphira, dem Drachen, flieht er und erfährt, welche Verantwortung nun auf seinen Schultern ruht. Denn mit ihm ist die Tradition der Drachenreiter wieder auferstanden...
Die Geschichte ist von der ersten bis zur letzen Seite spannend: Alles ist durchweg mysteriös, beginnend mit der Herkunft Eragons (Wer ist seine Mutter? Und sein Vater?), der der Drachens (Woher kommt das Ei? Wieso landet es bei Eragon?) über die Gestalt Broms (Woher kommt er? Was war er früher?) und vieler weiterer Geschehnisse. Man fällt wie Eragon von einer Überraschung in die nächste, und kaum ist ein Rätsel gelöst, taucht das Nächste auf. Klasse gemacht und bei dem Schluss muss ich unbedingt noch den zweiten Teil lesen :-) ( )
  Xirxe | Dec 2, 2014 |
I read the reviews of Eragon here on Goodreads, and I wasn't really sure what to expect based on the mixed vitriol and adoration. It's unlikely I would have even picked up the book but my 9yo daughter found it and loved it. I decided to read it ostensibly on her recommendation but actually because it was on the YA shelf at the library and I'm a little nervous about the books on that shelf. What the heck was my kid reading? So I set aside my own reading for a couple of days and read Eragon

And...it's not bad. Sure, it's a little amateurish---some cliched language, a lot of 10-cent words (wait, are they still only 10 cents? Or has inflation increased the price?), and too much of the background was just revealed by the remarkably talkative people in the story when I would have preferred more subtle means---but it was fun to read. The battle near the end was especially enjoyable (I really don't think that's a spoiler, but I apologize if I'm wrong). It does bear a striking resemblance to LOTR and Star Wars, but it's also its own story.

I'm not sure if I'll read Eldest, though. I'm really itching to get back to my hoity-toity literary fiction. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Nov 6, 2014 |
(4.4)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
Eragon was, to my opinion, an outstanding book. I couldn't put it down! Each Chapter is very exciting and hooks on to the reader. The book is very descriptive in detail, which is just wonderful! I Suggest those who love exciting books, read Eragon! ( )
  torii13 | Oct 3, 2014 |
Showing 1-5 of 470 (next | show all)
''Eragon,'' for all its flaws, is an authentic work of great talent. The story is gripping; it may move awkwardly, but it moves with force. The power of ''Eragon'' lies in its overall effects -- in the sweep of the story and the conviction of its storyteller. Here, Paolini is leagues ahead of most writers, and it is exactly here that his youth is on his side.
 

» Add other authors (18 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Paolini, Christopherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuittinen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scotto di Santillo, Maria ConcettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Information from the German Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
This book is dedicated to my mom, for showing me the magic in the world; to my dad, for revealing the man behind the curtain. And also my sister, Angela, for helping me when I'm 'blue.'
First words
Eragon knelt in a bed of trampled reed grass and scanned the tracks with a practiced eye.
Quotations
Last words
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language
Book description
It has been one hundred years since the last of the legendary Dragon Riders was slain by the evil Galbatorix, whose tyranny now weighs heavily upon the vast land of Alagaësia. Only three dragon eggs survived the slaughter, and when one of these eggs hatches to a farm-boy named Eragon, Galbatorix dispatches his most fearsome minions to hunt the new Rider down. With his dragon to protect him, Eragon manages to survive the king's first attack, but his uncle is not so lucky. Before long, Eragon finds himself on a quest for revenge that will take him to the far ends of Alagaësia – but an epic power struggle rages around him, and he will soon come to understand the monumental weight of the legacy he has inherited.
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440240735, Mass Market Paperback)

Here's a great big fantasy that you can pull over your head like a comfy old sweater and disappear into for a whole weekend. Christopher Paolini began Eragon when he was just 15, and the book shows the influence of Tolkien, of course, but also Terry Brooks, Anne McCaffrey, and perhaps even Wagner in its traditional quest structure and the generally agreed-upon nature of dwarves, elves, dragons, and heroic warfare with magic swords.

Eragon, a young farm boy, finds a marvelous blue stone in a mystical mountain place. Before he can trade it for food to get his family through the hard winter, it hatches a beautiful sapphire-blue dragon, a race thought to be extinct. Eragon bonds with the dragon, and when his family is killed by the marauding Ra'zac, he discovers that he is the last of the Dragon Riders, fated to play a decisive part in the coming war between the human but hidden Varden, dwarves, elves, the diabolical Shades and their neanderthal Urgalls, all pitted against and allied with each other and the evil King Galbatorix. Eragon and his dragon Saphira set out to find their role, growing in magic power and understanding of the complex political situation as they endure perilous travels and sudden battles, dire wounds, capture and escape.

In spite of the engrossing action, this is not a book for the casual fantasy reader. There are 65 names of people, horses, and dragons to be remembered and lots of pseudo-Celtic places, magic words, and phrases in the Ancient Language as well as the speech of the dwarfs and the Urgalls. But the maps and glossaries help, and by the end, readers will be utterly dedicated and eager for the next book, Eldest. (Ages 10 to 14) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:22 -0400)

(see all 8 descriptions)

In Aagaesia, a fifteen-year-old boy of unknown lineage called Eragon finds a mysterious stone that weaves his life into an intricate tapestry of destiny, magic, and power, peopled with dragons, elves, and monsters.

» see all 12 descriptions

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.73)
0.5 45
1 220
1.5 37
2 446
2.5 107
3 1131
3.5 239
4 1608
4.5 196
5 1599

Audible.com

5 editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,444,670 books! | Top bar: Always visible