Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Eragon (2002)

by Christopher Paolini

Series: The Inheritance Cycle (1)

19,070None84 (3.74)501
adventure (274) children's (105) Christopher Paolini (78) coming of age (55) dragon (198) dragons (1,078) dwarves (87) elves (142) Eragon (158) fantasy (2,875) fiction (1,131) hardcover (60) inheritance (164) Inheritance Cycle (82) Inheritance Trilogy (77) made into movie (56) magic (409) movie (52) novel (86) own (97) read (209) science fiction (110) series (235) sff (83) teen (90) to-read (158) unread (69) YA (279) young adult (565) young adult fiction (71)
    The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (jubjub_luver1)
    jubjub_luver1: Both are great adventure books, full of fantasy, adventure, and dragons!
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (jpers36)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Proginoskes)
    Proginoskes: A necessity for any fan of quality fantasy to read.
    Brisingr by Christopher Paolini (snapplechick)
    Eldest by Christopher Paolini (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Continuation of the story . . .
    The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan (hermionewannabe)
    hermionewannabe: If you enjoy fantasy works than you will love the Eragon series.
    Dragon's Blood by Jane Yolen (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: In Dragon's Blood, indentured servant Jakkin struggles to win his freedom by secretly raising a stolen dragon's egg. I loved Jakkin's bond with his dragon and the intrigue of it all.
    Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (dagnirath)
    Inheritance by Christopher Paolini (dagnirath)
    Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings (dagnirath)
    dagnirath: Pawn of prophecy... has nothing to do with dragons. However, it does have the same writing style, and Eddings is a master storyteller.
    Warhammer 40,000 Codex: Tyranids 2004 by Games Workshop (Journey07)
    Journey07: I recommend this book because it is a great book. Who doesn't love a good story about dragons?
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: If you like quest stories with supernatural creatures, Sea of Trolls is for you. Bard apprentice Jack is kidnapped by Vikings and must face a whole host of creatures straight out of Norse mythology to rescue his sister Lucy.
    Joust by Mercedes Lackey (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Book one of a great series from Mercedes Lackey.
    Children of the Dragon by Rose Estes (infiniteletters)
    The Dragon Circle by Stephen Krensky (infiniteletters)
    Kai's Journey: The New World Chronicles by Charles Siefken (WendySiefken66)
    WendySiefken66: adventure books that will capture your imagination and take you on a journey!
    The Last Dragonlord by Joanne Bertin (Hedgepeth)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (loriephillips)
    Nightpool by Shirley Rousseau Murphy (infiniteletters)
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (amyblue)

English (461)  German (6)  Spanish (3)  Croatian (1)  Danish (1)  Vietnamese (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (476)
Slow and a bit predictable. Had this been written by an adult, I would have thought "meh" but the fact that it was created by a teenager makes it significantly more impressive. ( )
  benuathanasia | Apr 1, 2014 |
I got this book hoping that my son would want to read the book. I've had very bad luck buying books for him, but thought I'd give this a try. Sure enough, as soon as I unwrapped it, he pounced! He loved it and ordered the second book with his own money. He sped through except at the end, which he thought dragged. I read it too, and agree. ( )
  wareagle78 | Mar 17, 2014 |
I have been meaning to really read these for years. I've picked them up, put them down, skimmed and so on but I finally decided it was time to give in and see what all the hub-bub was about.

I was disappointed - a lot. A boy and his dragon in what seemed to me to be a Tolkien wannabe story.

I will try the next one with hopes it appeals to me a bit more. ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 10, 2014 |
A very enjoyable read, awesome characters and great storyline. Don't watch the movie though! :D ( )
  Librabookworm | Feb 24, 2014 |
If we strip away the magic for a second (which I adore and relish), this is a classic coming of age story. Poor boy. Humble beginnings. Mother not in the picture. Father unknown. This could be a young boy in any city, state or country from Detroit to Mumbai.

I enjoyed reading this book. The story was well written, had several twists and turns that kept you wanting more, satisfies a thirst for adventure and opens your heart to dreaming unlikely dreams. This story is for all boys and girls (young and old) who now or in the future will face similar crossroads. Paolini’s story speaks to the audacity of defying circumstances, daring to reach for a life that is unimaginable, believing in possibilities that you cannot see and moving forward when the road ahead requires that you walk through the desert.

If you have a thirst for fantasy and adventure, I strongly suggest that you read this one for yourselves. I will be moving on the second book in this series, Inheritance. Read my complete review on my blog, Honey Lemon Tea http://honeylemontea.com/2014/01/22/book-review-eragon-by-christopher-paolini/.

Thanks for reading!
Vee ( )
  honeylemontea | Feb 11, 2014 |
''Eragon,'' for all its flaws, is an authentic work of great talent. The story is gripping; it may move awkwardly, but it moves with force. The power of ''Eragon'' lies in its overall effects -- in the sweep of the story and the conviction of its storyteller. Here, Paolini is leagues ahead of most writers, and it is exactly here that his youth is on his side.

Paolini, Christopherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuittinen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scotto di Santillo, Maria ConcettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my mom, for showing me the magic in the world; to my dad, for revealing the man behind the curtain. And also my sister, Angela, for helping me when I'm 'blue.'
Eragon knelt in a bed of trampled reed grass and scanned the tracks with a practiced eye.
It has been one hundred years since the last of the legendary Dragon Riders was slain by the evil Galbatorix, whose tyranny now weighs heavily upon the vast land of Alagaësia. Only three dragon eggs survived the slaughter, and when one of these eggs hatches to a farm-boy named Eragon, Galbatorix dispatches his most fearsome minions to hunt the new Rider down. With his dragon to protect him, Eragon manages to survive the king's first attack, but his uncle is not so lucky. Before long, Eragon finds himself on a quest for revenge that will take him to the far ends of Alagaësia – but an epic power struggle rages around him, and he will soon come to understand the monumental weight of the legacy he has inherited.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440240735, Mass Market Paperback)

Here's a great big fantasy that you can pull over your head like a comfy old sweater and disappear into for a whole weekend. Christopher Paolini began Eragon when he was just 15, and the book shows the influence of Tolkien, of course, but also Terry Brooks, Anne McCaffrey, and perhaps even Wagner in its traditional quest structure and the generally agreed-upon nature of dwarves, elves, dragons, and heroic warfare with magic swords.

Eragon, a young farm boy, finds a marvelous blue stone in a mystical mountain place. Before he can trade it for food to get his family through the hard winter, it hatches a beautiful sapphire-blue dragon, a race thought to be extinct. Eragon bonds with the dragon, and when his family is killed by the marauding Ra'zac, he discovers that he is the last of the Dragon Riders, fated to play a decisive part in the coming war between the human but hidden Varden, dwarves, elves, the diabolical Shades and their neanderthal Urgalls, all pitted against and allied with each other and the evil King Galbatorix. Eragon and his dragon Saphira set out to find their role, growing in magic power and understanding of the complex political situation as they endure perilous travels and sudden battles, dire wounds, capture and escape.

In spite of the engrossing action, this is not a book for the casual fantasy reader. There are 65 names of people, horses, and dragons to be remembered and lots of pseudo-Celtic places, magic words, and phrases in the Ancient Language as well as the speech of the dwarfs and the Urgalls. But the maps and glossaries help, and by the end, readers will be utterly dedicated and eager for the next book, Eldest. (Ages 10 to 14) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:22 -0400)

In Aagaesia, a fifteen-year-old boy of unknown lineage called Eragon finds a mysterious stone that weaves his life into an intricate tapestry of destiny, magic, and power, peopled with dragons, elves and monsters.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,412,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible