Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Eragon (2002)

by Christopher Paolini

Series: The Inheritance Cycle (1)

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (jubjub_luver1)
    jubjub_luver1: Both are great adventure books, full of fantasy, adventure, and dragons!
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (jpers36)
    Brisingr by Christopher Paolini (snapplechick)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Proginoskes)
    Proginoskes: A necessity for any fan of quality fantasy to read.
    Eldest by Christopher Paolini (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Continuation of the story . . .
    The Lost Hero: The Graphic Novel by Rick Riordan (hermionewannabe)
    hermionewannabe: If you enjoy fantasy works than you will love the Eragon series.
    Dragon's Blood by Jane Yolen (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: In Dragon's Blood, indentured servant Jakkin struggles to win his freedom by secretly raising a stolen dragon's egg. I loved Jakkin's bond with his dragon and the intrigue of it all.
    Inheritance by Christopher Paolini (dagnirath)
    Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (dagnirath)
    Archie Wilson: & The Nuckelavee (Volume 1) by Mark A. Cooper (DonPeterson)
    Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings (dagnirath)
    dagnirath: Pawn of prophecy... has nothing to do with dragons. However, it does have the same writing style, and Eddings is a master storyteller.
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: If you like quest stories with supernatural creatures, Sea of Trolls is for you. Bard apprentice Jack is kidnapped by Vikings and must face a whole host of creatures straight out of Norse mythology to rescue his sister Lucy.
    Warhammer 40,000 Codex: Tyranids 2004 by Games Workshop (Journey07)
    Journey07: I recommend this book because it is a great book. Who doesn't love a good story about dragons?
    Joust by Mercedes Lackey (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Book one of a great series from Mercedes Lackey.
    The Last Dragonlord by Joanne Bertin (Hedgepeth)
    The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams (MissBrangwen)
    Kai's Journey: The New World Chronicles by Charles Siefken (WendySiefken66)
    WendySiefken66: adventure books that will capture your imagination and take you on a journey!
    The Dragon Circle by Stephen Krensky (infiniteletters)
    The Elven by Bernhard Hennen (Tanks)
    Children of the Dragon by Rose Estes (infiniteletters)

English (477)  German (5)  Spanish (3)  Croatian (1)  Danish (1)  Vietnamese (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (491)
I am not big on epic fantasy like this. It's usually very hard for me to world build in my head and imagine the setting and everything. It's not a problem I usually have with anything else, but for some reason epic fantasy does that to me. This book, however, didn't do that to me. I actually really REALLY enjoyed this!

This was my first time reading Eragon. When this book was really huge and blowing up all over the book world, I was reading my adult contemporary and just had no time for silly YA nonsense. Now that all I read is silly YA nonsense, I figured it was time to give this a try. I'm really glad I did to be honest. This was a fresh and unique world, a unique storyline and really interesting. I did watch the movie in theaters and really liked it, clearly I don't now. The movie is horrible. I've never seen a worse book to movie in my entire life, it was infuriating.

Eragon was such a good character. I loved him. He was the exact way a 15 year old should be portrayed. Selfish and silly and dumb, and yet he is mature in the right moments and takes on his responsibility because he has to. As well, his reactions to things are fitting. His reaction to his uncle dying was exactly how it should have been, his reaction to his cousin moving/leaving was perfect and his reaction when Braum died was again very appropriate. It is clear that the author knows how to write male characters realistically and I am a huge fan of this since I often find issues with the way characters are portrayed realistically.

Reading his interactions with Saphira (forgive me for spelling, I listened to this book) were my favourite parts. His insecurities were something he wasn't afraid to voice to her. Her voice in the audiobook made me have issues with her, but if I'm being honest I am not her biggest fan. I appreciate her but I don't love her. I just love their relationship and dynamic.

The very very minor romance plot in this story don't fit for me. I'm sure it gets developed and explored much more later on but right now I just don't think it's appropriate.

Overall though, I really enjoyed this. It was something new and creative that I have never experienced before and it's really a nice breath of fresh air!

Book Challenge book #15 - A Popular Author's First Book ( )
  thatgirlbookworm | Aug 5, 2015 |
This is a decent book when you consider the very young age of the Author at the time of writing. It is a decent story but does not offer a huge amount in originality in the characters. I liked the power of discovering the true names of things and how those names can change over time but that was about it. I finished the whole thing pretty quickly but I do think there was some skimming involved. There was a whole lot of nothing to go with the something and boy does it just get worse as the series goes on. ( )
  areadingmachine | Jul 6, 2015 |
The author really is good. I really enjoyed the world he created. Though I have to admit that I got bored with it at about halfway through and struggled to keep my attention there at all times. Still, I look forward to reading the other installments someday. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
I loved this book thought it was a harder read because of all of the characters to keep up with and the words that were different. Some I wrote down on a paper to look up. ( )
  ehuff20 | Mar 27, 2015 |
Eragon is a young adult book styled after The Lord of the Rings. As the first book in the series, it is setting up the background and story of the young boy Eragon and his dragon, Saphira. Most of the characters are well written in the sense that even though the plot can be predictable at times you still want to keep reading to make sure they come out alright. There is a lot of action - the characters seem to go from one conflict to another - which keeps the plot going. The ending is meant to lead straight to the next book; however even knowing that the story continues, the actual end of this first part of it seems a little anti-climactic. Overall it is a decent fantasy book to lose yourself in for a few days.
  GretchenLynn | Feb 21, 2015 |
''Eragon,'' for all its flaws, is an authentic work of great talent. The story is gripping; it may move awkwardly, but it moves with force. The power of ''Eragon'' lies in its overall effects -- in the sweep of the story and the conviction of its storyteller. Here, Paolini is leagues ahead of most writers, and it is exactly here that his youth is on his side.

Paolini, Christopherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuittinen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scotto di Santillo, Maria ConcettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my mom, for showing me the magic in the world;
to my dad, for revealing the man behind the curtain.
And also my sister, Angela, for helping me when I'm "blue."
Eragon knelt in a bed of trampled reed grass and scanned the tracks with a practiced eye.
It has been one hundred years since the last of the legendary Dragon Riders was slain by the evil Galbatorix, whose tyranny now weighs heavily upon the vast land of Alagaësia. Only three dragon eggs survived the slaughter, and when one of these eggs hatches to a farm-boy named Eragon, Galbatorix dispatches his most fearsome minions to hunt the new Rider down. With his dragon to protect him, Eragon manages to survive the king's first attack, but his uncle is not so lucky. Before long, Eragon finds himself on a quest for revenge that will take him to the far ends of Alagaësia – but an epic power struggle rages around him, and he will soon come to understand the monumental weight of the legacy he has inherited.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440240735, Mass Market Paperback)

Here's a great big fantasy that you can pull over your head like a comfy old sweater and disappear into for a whole weekend. Christopher Paolini began Eragon when he was just 15, and the book shows the influence of Tolkien, of course, but also Terry Brooks, Anne McCaffrey, and perhaps even Wagner in its traditional quest structure and the generally agreed-upon nature of dwarves, elves, dragons, and heroic warfare with magic swords.

Eragon, a young farm boy, finds a marvelous blue stone in a mystical mountain place. Before he can trade it for food to get his family through the hard winter, it hatches a beautiful sapphire-blue dragon, a race thought to be extinct. Eragon bonds with the dragon, and when his family is killed by the marauding Ra'zac, he discovers that he is the last of the Dragon Riders, fated to play a decisive part in the coming war between the human but hidden Varden, dwarves, elves, the diabolical Shades and their neanderthal Urgalls, all pitted against and allied with each other and the evil King Galbatorix. Eragon and his dragon Saphira set out to find their role, growing in magic power and understanding of the complex political situation as they endure perilous travels and sudden battles, dire wounds, capture and escape.

In spite of the engrossing action, this is not a book for the casual fantasy reader. There are 65 names of people, horses, and dragons to be remembered and lots of pseudo-Celtic places, magic words, and phrases in the Ancient Language as well as the speech of the dwarfs and the Urgalls. But the maps and glossaries help, and by the end, readers will be utterly dedicated and eager for the next book, Eldest. (Ages 10 to 14) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:08 -0400)

In Aagaesia, a fifteen-year-old boy of unknown lineage called Eragon finds a mysterious stone that weaves his life into an intricate tapestry of destiny, magic, and power, peopled with dragons, elves, and monsters.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,999,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible