Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Eragon (2002)

by Christopher Paolini

Series: The Inheritance Cycle (1)

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (jubjub_luver1)
    jubjub_luver1: Both are great adventure books, full of fantasy, adventure, and dragons!
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (jpers36)
    Eldest by Christopher Paolini (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Continuation of the story . . .
    Brisingr by Christopher Paolini (snapplechick)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Proginoskes)
    Proginoskes: A necessity for any fan of quality fantasy to read.
    The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan (hermionewannabe)
    hermionewannabe: If you enjoy fantasy works than you will love the Eragon series.
    Dragon's Blood by Jane Yolen (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: In Dragon's Blood, indentured servant Jakkin struggles to win his freedom by secretly raising a stolen dragon's egg. I loved Jakkin's bond with his dragon and the intrigue of it all.
    Archie Wilson: & The Nuckelavee (Volume 1) by Mark A. Cooper (DonPeterson)
    Inheritance by Christopher Paolini (dagnirath)
    Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (dagnirath)
    Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings (dagnirath)
    dagnirath: Pawn of prophecy... has nothing to do with dragons. However, it does have the same writing style, and Eddings is a master storyteller.
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: If you like quest stories with supernatural creatures, Sea of Trolls is for you. Bard apprentice Jack is kidnapped by Vikings and must face a whole host of creatures straight out of Norse mythology to rescue his sister Lucy.
    Warhammer 40,000 Codex: Tyranids 2004 by Games Workshop (Journey07)
    Journey07: I recommend this book because it is a great book. Who doesn't love a good story about dragons?
    Joust by Mercedes Lackey (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Book one of a great series from Mercedes Lackey.
    The Last Dragonlord by Joanne Bertin (Hedgepeth)
    Kai's Journey: The New World Chronicles by Charles Siefken (WendySiefken66)
    WendySiefken66: adventure books that will capture your imagination and take you on a journey!
    The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams (MissBrangwen)
    Children of the Dragon by Rose Estes (infiniteletters)
    The Dragon Circle by Stephen Krensky (infiniteletters)
    Die Elfen. by Bernhard Hennen (MissBrangwen, Tanks)

English (484)  German (5)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Croatian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (499)
3.5 stars ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
3.5 stars ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
The best book and series ever. EVER I say again. If you haven’t read it but watched the movie; I say shame to you. Shame to your face. And even more shame if you liked the movie!
This book series (to me) is the de-facto recommendation for anyone who wants to read about extreme adventure, grisly battle scenes, and an immense fantasy world filled with dragons, dwarfs, elves, magic, and a corrupt kingdom tearing itself apart through civil war and unrest. It's the book I match almost all other fantasy to, because it's such a classic in it's own right. Not only does it appeal to younger readers, but it has major elements that appease more seasoned readers as well; with twisting political dystopia, speckled with smidgens of romance (but not enough to derail the series) and dark plots of assassination. All-in-all, a 6 out of 5! ( )
  kenizl86 | Nov 3, 2015 |
I loved the early part about raising the dragon, but I lost interest in all the politics and warfare between the races. I listened to the audiobook version, and the narrator, Gerard Doyle, was a fantastic choice, as he is for most books in this genre. I didn't find the story derivative, as others have claimed, but I did find it to be too long. It lost its sparkle about midway through and would've been helped by a much more attentive editor. ( )
  PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |
I can't say Meh enough as I listen to this book. The cliche of the farm boy who is of noble birth, with a wise mentor, and taken to a foreign land... it's overdone. This is just a clump of cliche after a clump of cliche. Not impressed. I'm granting it more than one star because I actually decided to finish the book, rather than give up.

However, the fact that I skipped more than half a disc and didn't lose one bit of the story... pitiable at best. ( )
  gilroy | Sep 14, 2015 |
''Eragon,'' for all its flaws, is an authentic work of great talent. The story is gripping; it may move awkwardly, but it moves with force. The power of ''Eragon'' lies in its overall effects -- in the sweep of the story and the conviction of its storyteller. Here, Paolini is leagues ahead of most writers, and it is exactly here that his youth is on his side.

Paolini, Christopherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuittinen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scotto di Santillo, Maria ConcettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my mom, for showing me the magic in the world;
to my dad, for revealing the man behind the curtain.
And also my sister, Angela, for helping me when I'm "blue."
Eragon knelt in a bed of trampled reed grass and scanned the tracks with a practiced eye.
Wind howled through the night, carrying a scent that would change the world.
It has been one hundred years since the last of the legendary Dragon Riders was slain by the evil Galbatorix, whose tyranny now weighs heavily upon the vast land of Alagaësia. Only three dragon eggs survived the slaughter, and when one of these eggs hatches to a farm-boy named Eragon, Galbatorix dispatches his most fearsome minions to hunt the new Rider down. With his dragon to protect him, Eragon manages to survive the king's first attack, but his uncle is not so lucky. Before long, Eragon finds himself on a quest for revenge that will take him to the far ends of Alagaësia – but an epic power struggle rages around him, and he will soon come to understand the monumental weight of the legacy he has inherited.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440240735, Mass Market Paperback)

Here's a great big fantasy that you can pull over your head like a comfy old sweater and disappear into for a whole weekend. Christopher Paolini began Eragon when he was just 15, and the book shows the influence of Tolkien, of course, but also Terry Brooks, Anne McCaffrey, and perhaps even Wagner in its traditional quest structure and the generally agreed-upon nature of dwarves, elves, dragons, and heroic warfare with magic swords.

Eragon, a young farm boy, finds a marvelous blue stone in a mystical mountain place. Before he can trade it for food to get his family through the hard winter, it hatches a beautiful sapphire-blue dragon, a race thought to be extinct. Eragon bonds with the dragon, and when his family is killed by the marauding Ra'zac, he discovers that he is the last of the Dragon Riders, fated to play a decisive part in the coming war between the human but hidden Varden, dwarves, elves, the diabolical Shades and their neanderthal Urgalls, all pitted against and allied with each other and the evil King Galbatorix. Eragon and his dragon Saphira set out to find their role, growing in magic power and understanding of the complex political situation as they endure perilous travels and sudden battles, dire wounds, capture and escape.

In spite of the engrossing action, this is not a book for the casual fantasy reader. There are 65 names of people, horses, and dragons to be remembered and lots of pseudo-Celtic places, magic words, and phrases in the Ancient Language as well as the speech of the dwarfs and the Urgalls. But the maps and glossaries help, and by the end, readers will be utterly dedicated and eager for the next book, Eldest. (Ages 10 to 14) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:08 -0400)

In Aagaesia, a fifteen-year-old boy of unknown lineage called Eragon finds a mysterious stone that weaves his life into an intricate tapestry of destiny, magic, and power, peopled with dragons, elves, and monsters.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,876,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible