The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

The Goose Girl (2003)

by Shannon Hale

Series: Books of Bayern (1)

The illustrator, with one of her granddaughters, translated this anew from the original Grimm (according to the note on the dedication page). Oddly, I found some of the pictures to be amateurish... though most were attractive and apt. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
The Goose Girl - Shannon Hale
audio dramatization Multiple narrators
3 stars

This is a sweet fairy tale retelling, a female coming of age story. The downtrodden, deposed, Princess Ani must discover her magical talents to save herself and her kingdom. I liked the feminist slant that Shannon Hale applied to the traditional tale. At first, I wondered how I managed to miss reading this one to my daughter, but she was a bit too old when the book was published. I think this book would appeal to middle grade elementary children. As an adult, I found the plot predictable and the dialog stilted. The audio dramatization was uneven. Some of the actors enhanced the book while other voices were forced or overly exaggerated.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Delightful story.
  Gmomaj | May 27, 2016 |
On her way to marry a prince she's never met, Princess Anidori is betrayed by her guards and her lady-in-waiting and must become a goose girl to survive until she can reveal her true identity and reclaim the crown that is rightfully hers.

I finished part one in a night!! the book is so good... I feel so sorry for Princess Ani, I know what will happen in the fairy tale but I am dying to see what will happen in the book.

I just finished reading The Goose Girl and I loved the book so much it took me 2 days, even though I was ill (flu) and still I forgot my illness and everything I just needed to know what will happen to Ani... I bought The Princess Academy because I couldn't find any Bayern books. I am sure it will be great. Shannon Hale is on my favorite authors list from now on ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
Teens who like long, detailed fantasies will also be happy to accompany the heroine of Shannon Hale's The Goose Girl on her quest to recover her identity and her place in the world.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Beth Wright (Dec 1, 2004)

Hale's retelling is a wonderfully rich one, full of eloquent description and lovely imagery, and with a complex plot, a large cast of characters, and a strong female protagonist.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal (Aug 1, 2003)

The engaging plot can certainly carry the tale, but Hale’s likable, introspective heroine makes this also a book about courage and justice in the face of overwhelming odds.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Annie O'Malley (Aug 1, 2003)

[T]oo long by a fair amount, but ensorcelled teen readers, swept up in the romance and the luscious language, probably won't notice.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (Jul 1, 2003)

In an attempt to weave all of the elements of the original tale, the novel at times bogs down in detail. But those who enjoy getting lost in an enchanted world will discover here a satisfying and richly embellished retelling of a classic that communicates values still pertinent to contemporary readers.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Jun 30, 2003)

Shannon Haleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bostick, JanineCast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Breen, PatrickCast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brown, GraydonCast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Coon, SofiaCast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Coville, BruceDirector, producer, & cast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Coville, CaraCast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You are Home
For Mom and Dad
Happy days to you
Love, Shannon
She was born Anidori-Kiladra Talianna Isilee, Crown Princess of Kildenree, and she did not open her eyes for three days.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 158234843X, Hardcover)

Anidori-Kiladra Talianna Isilee, Crown Princess of Kildenree, spends the first years of her life under her aunt's guidance learning to communicate with animals. As she grows up Ani develops the skills of animal speech, but is never comfortable speaking with people, so when her silver-tongued lady-in-waiting leads a mutiny during Ani's journey to be married in a foreign land, Ani is helpless and cannot persuade anyone to assist her. Becoming a goose girl for the king, Ani eventually uses her own special, nearly magical powers to find her way to her true destiny. Shannon Hale has woven an incredible, original and magical tale of a girl who must find her own unusual talents before she can become queen of the people she has made her own.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:16 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,795,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible