Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

The Goose Girl (2003)

by Shannon Hale

Other authors: David Aaron Baker

Series: Books of Bayern (1)

Nothing negative to say about this book. It is simply YA fiction and I read MG fiction. Moving on.
  valorrmac | Sep 21, 2018 |
Anidora-Kilandra, Crown Princess of Kildenree, spends her early childhood learning her aunt's stories and the language of birds, which has the unhappy effect of making her a figure of some suspicion and distrust to many of those around her. She has not inherited her mother's gift for commanding and persuading those she speaks to. After her aunt is sent away from court (because of her bad influence on Anidora), she's only really close to her father, her horse, and, she imagines, her lady-in-waiting, Selia. When her father dies, just before her sixteenth birthday, her mother reveals that she negotiated a treaty years ago, for Anidora to marry the heir of a neighboring kingdom, to seal a peace and avoid a war that little Kildenree would surely lose. Her father the king believed that the treaty involved the second daughter, the third child, but the queen decided that, since her eldest daughter was clearly unsuited to the role of reigning queen, the crown should go to their second child, the only son.

So Ani is packed off to Bayern with an impressive entourage, including her lady-in-waiting, Selia. As they get closer and closer to Bayern, Ani realizes that Selia and some of the guards and attendants are behaving rather oddly, and eventually understands that Selia is not her friend. It's still a surprise to her when Selia and her cabal among the guards turn upon her and the loyal guards. Most of the loyalists are killed, Ani flees into the forest, and Selia proceeds on to the capital of Bayern, taking Ani's place as the princess.

Ani, of course, becomes the king's goose girl, makes the acquaintance of a palace guard, makes friends, and learns an awful lot about how to relate to people and how to lead them, and about her own talents and gifts that she could never have learned from mother.

This is an adaptation of the Goose Girl fairy tale, so you know how it ends. It's an enjoyable adaption, and the only seriously worrying part is the promise that it's the first of a planned trilogy. Why does the Goose Girl need even one sequel, much less two? ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
I wanted to love this book. There was such a heavy use of personification and similes that it completely distracted from the storyline. Very jumpy in the beginning without any slow pacing from one point to the next; we just went from this, to this, now to this ... without taking time to develop characters, setting, and so forth. The extra flowery wording eventually lessened as things actually started happening, but still was very surface level. Managed to finish reading in 4 hours as there wasn't much to savor. Good read for young teens, but not a satisfying book for adults. Also not a fan of some of what I'd call brutality to animals. I was done with it the moment that entered the picture. Completely unnecessary to the storyline. Don't need any more sad animal books in the world. Ugh. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 1, 2018 |
So this was my very first experience with an audiobook that I enjoyed. This is a really long book to listen to. I'm so smart that I can't do anything, but listen to a book. I can't multitask because I will instantly tune out what I'm doing. It's a great struggle in my life - not being able to multitask efficiently. So I laid down on my bed and listened to this array of narrators for The Goose Girl. The description in this book was amazing. I loved that every character had their own voice because it was easier to get into Ani's world. Even though this audiobook was super long - if you are a normal person you would be able to listen to it and get things done as well - it was fantastically described. I could have never asked for a better book to get me to start enjoying audiobooks.

I read the original story of The Goose Girl before I listened to this retelling. I enjoyed how Hale was able to incorporate almost all the elements of the original story and make it her own. This was one of the most beautifully told books that I have ever had the privilege of listening to. I'm still impressed and it's been months since I finished listening to The Goose Girl.

First of all, I DESPISE Ani's lady in waiting Selia. There is so much hatred in this girl's heart. She believes she deserves to be a princess, not like Ani who knows nothing about behaving properly as a princess. Ani is next in line to become queen in her kingdom, but her mother decides that she will be married off and her brother will be king. The reason she will be married off is so that there won't be war with the kingdom that she now has to live in. BUT, it's not as simple as it seems. I really dislike Ani's mother as well. You can't really tell where she stands at the end of it all. I just think she's too shady.

Oh yeah, where was I? Selia, that's right. After all that Ani goes through I literally wanted to fight this girl. She feels so entitled that she does unbelievably horrible things to secure her seat at the throne including trying to kill Ani. What is this girl's problem!!?? Ani is a sweetheart. I mean she's very naive, but honestly I liked that about her. I feel like I would be so much like her in her situation so I understood her thoughts, actions, and emotions completely.

Ani is also kind of amazing. She has two gifts. She has this gift where she can understand some swans at her kingdom's lake. Kind of strange, but useful trust me. She talks to them and they understand her. Her mother, the queen, obviously doesn't like that quirk about her so she makes sure she can;t go near them - poor Ani. Then, when Ani tries to find a way to tell the King that the princess that he believes to be her is a fraud she becomes a goose girl. I'm not going to tell you how, but I think you can guess based on her personality and manipulative Selia. Guess who she's able to communicate with now?

Ani (now Isi to hide her identity) also has another gift that I won't reveal. It's actually quite interesting. I will give you a hint. If you read the original story you should be able to figure it out. I love the description and imagery in this book because it really makes this gift come to life.

Ani/Isi makes friends with some of the workers that tend to the animals. Conner though, thinks she is as odd as her mother and tries to do anything to get the others to see that. Enna on the other hand becomes Ani's protector of sorts. She is her best friend. Enna is the best friend you want on your side. Strong willed, caring, and a born leader, you would want Enna on your side when the odds are against you.

Then there is Geric. Isi meets Geric one day while he's trying to get a hold of his horse. Isi has great experience with horses because she has a unique connection (very magical) with her horse named Falada; that's a whole other situation that I can write endlessly about. Anyway with Geric, Isi acts differently; more confident and bold with her actions. She's also very sweet to Geric and I'm happy to say he's the same way with her. It gets complicated and stuff happens which I won't give away. I just loved Geric. He's a nice guy who cared about Isi and saw her like no one else ever did.

I know this review is all over the place... What's new? But, when I began typing I just let every thought out while also trying to rein myself in so I wouldn't give anything away. What I hope you get out of this is that The Goose Girl is a beautifully crafted story that you do not want to miss out on. There's so much magic, wonderful relationships, and growth that exudes from this book. I'm serious readers! The Goose Girl is AMAZING. READ IT! ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
3.5 stars. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
Teens who like long, detailed fantasies will also be happy to accompany the heroine of Shannon Hale's The Goose Girl on her quest to recover her identity and her place in the world.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Beth Wright (Dec 1, 2004)

Hale's retelling is a wonderfully rich one, full of eloquent description and lovely imagery, and with a complex plot, a large cast of characters, and a strong female protagonist.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal (Aug 1, 2003)

The engaging plot can certainly carry the tale, but Hale’s likable, introspective heroine makes this also a book about courage and justice in the face of overwhelming odds.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Annie O'Malley (Aug 1, 2003)

[T]oo long by a fair amount, but ensorcelled teen readers, swept up in the romance and the luscious language, probably won't notice.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (Jul 1, 2003)

In an attempt to weave all of the elements of the original tale, the novel at times bogs down in detail. But those who enjoy getting lost in an enchanted world will discover here a satisfying and richly embellished retelling of a classic that communicates values still pertinent to contemporary readers.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Jun 30, 2003)

Hale, Shannonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bostick, JanineCast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Breen, PatrickCast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brown, GraydonCast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Coon, SofiaCast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Coville, BruceDirector, producer, & cast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Coville, CaraCast membersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You are Home
For Mom and Dad
Happy days to you
Love, Shannon
She was born Anidori-Kiladra Talianna Isilee, Crown Princess of Kildenree, and she did not open her eyes for three days.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 158234843X, Hardcover)

Anidori-Kiladra Talianna Isilee, Crown Princess of Kildenree, spends the first years of her life under her aunt's guidance learning to communicate with animals. As she grows up Ani develops the skills of animal speech, but is never comfortable speaking with people, so when her silver-tongued lady-in-waiting leads a mutiny during Ani's journey to be married in a foreign land, Ani is helpless and cannot persuade anyone to assist her. Becoming a goose girl for the king, Ani eventually uses her own special, nearly magical powers to find her way to her true destiny. Shannon Hale has woven an incredible, original and magical tale of a girl who must find her own unusual talents before she can become queen of the people she has made her own.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:16 -0400)

On her way to marry a prince she's never met, Princess Anidori is betrayed by her guards and her lady-in-waiting and must become a goose girl to survive until she can reveal her true identity and reclaim the crown that is rightfully hers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,490,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible