The Tin Drum (1959)

by Günter Grass

Series: Danzig Trilogy (1)

7,057901,101 (3.97)1 / 395
Acclaimed as the greatest German novel written since the end of World War II,The Tin Drumis the autobiography of thirty-year-old Oskar Matzerath, who has lived through the long Nazi nightmare and who, as the novel begins, is being held in a mental institution.  Willfully stunting his growth at three feet for many years, wielding his tin drum and piercing scream as anarchistic weapons, he provides a profound yet hilarious perspective on both German history and the human condition in the modern world.Translated from the German by Ralph Manheim.… (more)
1950s (6)
Europe (170)
(6)
My TBR (101)
Read (26)

English (68)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Hebrew (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Bulgarian (1)  All languages (86)
I got this as a gift in the summer of 1986. It was the first novel in German I read on my own. I cannot talk about it rationally at all. ( )
  ByronDB | May 24, 2022 |
Frásögnin í tin trommunni er táknræn fyrir uppgang nasismans í Þýskalandi á millistríðsárnunum. Günter Grass lýsir lífi Óskars sem ákveður að hætta að vaxa þriggja ára gamall um það leiti sem nasistar komast til valda og hann fær tin trommu í afmælisgjöf. Hann upplifir stríðið og það er ekki fyrr en við fall Þriðja ríkisins sem hann stækkar aftur.
Sagan sem er full af tilvísunum og táknum er þó mun flóknari og er mér minnisstæð fyrir vikið. Hún lifir því í minningunni hægt er að velta henni fram og aftur fyrir sér.
Útgáfan sem ég hlustaði á var leikrit í flutningi BBC. Skemmtilegt og hressandi en mér er ljóst að eitthvað af atriðum bókarinnar hefur verið sleppt úr leikflutningnum. ( )
  SkuliSael | Apr 28, 2022 |
Will never be able to eat eel after THAT scene. ( )
  haiduk | May 24, 2021 |
I read this a long time ago, and was happy to reread it (though I did not read the new translation, need to find this one now). An amazing book that tackles German and Polish history in the 20th century, through the eyes of the most peculiar narrator/protagonist who is a victim and murderer, symbolizing the guilt of that time. ( )
  WiebkeK | Jan 21, 2021 |
This is a very subjective rating: I don't much care for unreliable narrators, or for 'magical realism,' or for aimlessness. And this book does all three, which makes it hard for me to care. On the upside, there are some great scenes, and the writing (or the translation) is good enough that even I, with my strange appreciation for books that avoid shortcuts and prefer honest intellectual and emotional engagement, got through to the end and found it worth reading. ( )
1 vote stillatim | Oct 23, 2020 |

Schuur, KoosTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Secci, LiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steidl, GerhardDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Anna Grass
Granted: I'm an inmate of a mental institution; my keeper watches me, scarcely lets me out of his sight; for there's a peephole in the door, and my keeper's eye is the shade of brown that can't see through blue-eyed types like me.
Zugegeben: ich bin Insasse einer Heil- und Pflegeanstalt, mein Pfleger beobachtet mich, lässt mich kaum aus dem Auge; denn in der Tür ist ein Guckloch, und meines Pfleger Auge ist von jenem Braun, welches mich, den Blauäugigen, nicht durchschauen kann.
Maria frightened Oskar with her hairy triangle.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,820,624 books! | Top bar: Always visible