dismiss

The Light Fantastic (1986)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld (2), Discworld: Rincewind (2)

There is only one individual who can save the world from a disastrous collision. Unfortunately, he happens to be the singularly inept wizard Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world.
Recently added byjulie.bonjour, bobbedh, nathanksweeton, PRose0590, AloneBlink, nelsam, private library
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (Nikkles)
    The Sheriff of Yrnameer by Michael Rubens (ogingero)
    ogingero: both have witty satirical humour in an original fantasy.

English (152)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Polish (1)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  All languages (162)
Though Rincewind is not my favorite protagonist, this one is a fast, entertaining read, like all of the Discworld novels. ( )
  dmturner | Jun 29, 2020 |
The sequel to Colour of Magic follows closely to where the previous book left off. It continues to follow Rincewind and Twoflower and delves more into the mystery of the powerful spell lodged into Rincewind's mind. More of the comedy hits the mark in this book. The plot isn't overly engaging, but still very enjoyable. ( )
  renbedell | Jun 12, 2020 |
The second in the Discworld series. Wizard Rincewind is still working as a guide to the wealthy tourist Twoflower and his dangerously loyal Luggage. But groups all over the world are looking for Rincewind because years ago, when he was a young wizard in training, a particularly powerful spell lodged itself in his mind and has refused to budge. Now that the spell is needed to keep the Disc from being destroyed, Rincewind is on the run.
Funny and clever, with lots of memorable characters such as Cohen the Barbarian. ( )
  mstrust | Jun 3, 2020 |
Re-read with buddies!

I'm still very much enjoying these early Pratchett books, especially in mind that I'll be seeing a *lot* more of these folks in the near future. And even if I'll mainly be focused on folks I haven't seen yet, anyway, I'm still enjoying what may as well be an overview primer of the whole Discworld universe.

That being said, I think Rincewind is given a bad rap in the series. I love the hell out of him. He's the ultimate bumbling idiot under the geas of a penultimate Eighth Spell, the casting of which will make or destroy the universe or something, and the making and breaking is ultimately left up only to him.

And he's a wizard with a hat that says "wizzard" on it. You know... to make sure people understand that he's actually one of their kind. :) I particularly loved the bits with the floating rocks and the computers of the universe and the dungeon universes and, of course, Cohen the Barbarian.

It's funny, it's BIG, and we even get to see the tourism industry take off in a really big way, even going so far as to have the very first tourist play a big part in a very special birth. Awwwww... So sweet! :)

Plotwise, I think it's well up to the standards of the rest of the series and while Rincewind falls away in people's favor, *cry* He'll always have a very special place in my heart.

And by the way, that sword is definitely smarter than him. Oh well!

Great fun! Even better the second time! ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
humorous, better than most
  ritaer | May 19, 2020 |

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brandhorst, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Couton, PatrickTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sun rose slowly, as if it wasn't sure it was worth all the effort.
It looked like the sort of book described in library catalogues as "slightly foxed", although it would be more honest to admit that it looked as though it had been badgered, wolved and possibly beared as well.
"What is it that a man may call the greatest things in life?"
- "Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper."
You can talk about tramps. You can talk about garlic. You can talk about France. Go on. But if you haven't smelled Ankh-Morpork on a hot day you haven't smelled anything.

As it moves towards a seemingly inevitable collision with a malevolent red star, the Discworld has only one possible saviour. Unfortunately, this happens to be the singularly inept and cowardly wizard called Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,261,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible