The Light Fantastic (1986)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld (2), Discworld: Rincewind (2)

There is only one individual who can save the world from a disastrous collision. Unfortunately, he happens to be the singularly inept wizard Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world.
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (Nikkles)
    The Sheriff of Yrnameer by Michael Rubens (ogingero)
    ogingero: both have witty satirical humour in an original fantasy.

English (164)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Polish (1)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  All languages (174)
3.5 stars rounded down.

Plot what plot? That doesn't matter though. It was just so fun to read? And I can't wait to keep on collecting and reading the rest of Terry Pratchett's work. ( )
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
Pretty funny but not as good as book 1 tbh. ( )
  ReneGuenon | Sep 20, 2021 |
Having now a solid understanding of the world, and a better sense of Pratchett's writing style and style of humour, this one went down much more smoothly.

These are, I think, going to be a lot of fun. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
“The sun rose slowly as if it wasn’t sure it was worth all the effort.”

If you follow my reviews, you already know that I’m a sucker for English humor. I adore the sarcasm, wit, innuendo, and self-depreciation that the English apply with such skill. And the very English Sir Terry Pratchett is inventive, irreverent, ingenious, and imaginative as indicated! Before I read my first Pratchett novel, I did a little research. The advice I found was to start with “Guards, Guards,” followed by “The Light Fantastic”, and then “Soul Music”. I now wish I had just started with “The Color of Magic” and then just continued in order. You don’t have to, the books work standalone, but I think you’ll miss out on some subtleties if you jump around. Anyway, although “Guards, Guards!” is often held to be the best of Discworld (and I did love it), I enjoyed “The Light Fantastic” even more.

“It looked like the sort of book described in library catalogues as 'slightly foxed', although it would be more honest to admit that it looked as though it had been badgered, wolved and possibly beared as well.”

This book follows an inept wizard, Rincewind and an array of traveling companions, Twoflower – a naïve tourist, the luggage – a loyal, murderous suitcase with a set of centipede-like legs, and an elderly and toothless Conan the Barbarian. Chased by wizards and then spurred on by a looming apocalypse, the story ambles though a series of odd and hilarious locations such as a gingerbread house, a stone computer, a trans dimensional store, and ultimately climaxing at the Unseen University in the fabled town of Ankh-Morpork. The tale is fun and unpredictable, but the real joy is the continuous onslaught of humor. Pratchett is relentless and packs in more jokes, puns, and anecdotes in a chapter, than most comedic authors cover in an entire novel.

“The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time.”

Five zany stars for this fantastic romp though the twisted imagination of Sir Terry Pratchett that made me smirk, giggle, snicker, and right larf out loud from Page 1 to ‘The End!" ( )
  Kevin_A_Kuhn | Aug 23, 2021 |
Book 2 in the Discworld series.
Another fun, light read. Plenty of puns and in-jokes to enjoy.
And only 38 more books in the series to go! ( )
  mbmackay | Jul 23, 2021 |

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brandhorst, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Couton, PatrickTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sahlin, OlleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sun rose slowly, as if it wasn't sure it was worth all the effort.
It looked like the sort of book described in library catalogues as "slightly foxed", although it would be more honest to admit that it looked as though it had been badgered, wolved and possibly beared as well.
"What is it that a man may call the greatest things in life?"
- "Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper."
You can talk about tramps. You can talk about garlic. You can talk about France. Go on. But if you haven't smelled Ankh-Morpork on a hot day you haven't smelled anything.

As it moves towards a seemingly inevitable collision with a malevolent red star, the Discworld has only one possible saviour. Unfortunately, this happens to be the singularly inept and cowardly wizard called Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,172,838 books! | Top bar: Always visible