The Light Fantastic (1986)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld (2), Discworld: Rincewind (2)

14,618203382 (3.8)346
Terry Pratchett's profoundly irreverent, bestselling novels have garnered him a revered position in the halls of parody next to the likes of Mark Twain, Kurt Vonnegut, Douglas Adams, and Carl Hiaasen. In The Light Fantastic, only one individual can save the world from a disastrous collision. Unfortunately, the hero happens to be the singularly inept wizard Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world.… (more)
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (Nikkles)
    The Sheriff of Yrnameer by Michael Rubens (ogingero)
    ogingero: both have witty satirical humour in an original fantasy.

English (189)  Spanish (5)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Polish (1)  All languages (202)
I loved the ending! ( )
  Rakketytam | Nov 28, 2023 |
Are you reading through Discworld? Then read this. I love Rincewind a little more every page. Twoflower grew on me like mold on cheese.

I can't wait to read the next one. ( )
  embly | Nov 4, 2023 |
My review of this book can be found on my YouTube Vlog at:

Enjoy! ( )
  booklover3258 | Sep 22, 2023 |
Hear ye Hear Ye! Citizens of Discworld
**sigh**... yes yes including you on the counterweight continent and rimworld seafarers.
I bring to you curious tidings and signs because the Great A'Tuin just keeps moving no matter what so here goes:

These are the signs if that Troll prophecy had been a little bit more detailed:

1. One possessed Wizard named Rincewind falling of the edge of the world and then...poof, not falling.
2. A Politely determined tourist name Twoflower who sees the world as only a delightful counterweight citizen sees it and has this innocent confidence one can't quite understand.
3. The Luggage. that's it...the luggage
4. Cohen, The Greatest Hero the disc has ever seen .... ahem and he's wearing diamond dentures
5. A non-sacrificed virgin, Miss Bethan, turned...what sidekick and potential bride
6. Cameo by DEATH, War, Pestilence, Famine and a card game that baffles even these elemental beings
7. That somewhat efficiently bloodthirsty, Marie Kondo-Styled organizer and supreme dullard Wizard at Unseen University
8. A big red star that keeps getting bigger and humans do we humans do - panic.

Oh and lest we forget the matter of the Octavo and that rogue spell number 8 sitting pretty in Rincewind's mind.

I can't stress this enough - rollercoaster of epic proportions. ( )
  RoadtripReader | Aug 24, 2023 |
I much enjoyed this second Discworld book but wish there had been chapter divisions. I like the combination of Rincewind and Twoflower - Twoflower on his own might be a bit much with his relentless optimism. As Pratchett puts it:

"Twoflower didn't just look at the world through rose-tinted spectacles, Rincewind knew -- he looked at it through a rose-tinted brain, too, and heard it through rose-tinted ears."

I marked this passage because it struck me as so insightful:

"Rincewind stared, and knew that there were far worse things than Evil. All the demons in Hell would torture your very soul, but that was precisely because they valued souls very highly; evil would always try to steal the universe, but at least it considered the universe worth stealing. But the gray world behind those empty eyes would trample and destroy without even according its victims the dignity of hatred. It wouldn't even notice them." ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 27, 2023 |

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brandhorst, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Couton, PatrickTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sahlin, OlleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sun rose slowly, as if it wasn't sure it was worth all the effort.
It looked like the sort of book described in library catalogues as "slightly foxed", although it would be more honest to admit that it looked as though it had been badgered, wolved and possibly beared as well.
"What is it that a man may call the greatest things in life?"
- "Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper."
You can talk about tramps. You can talk about garlic. You can talk about France. Go on. But if you haven't smelled Ankh-Morpork on a hot day you haven't smelled anything.

As it moves towards a seemingly inevitable collision with a malevolent red star, the Discworld has only one possible saviour. Unfortunately, this happens to be the singularly inept and cowardly wizard called Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 202,009,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible