Look Back in Anger by John Osborne

Look Back in Anger

by John Osborne

Recently added byElizaDB, private library, Stubb, Sunstroke, deckla, Eschwa, Jimmysada, ReetuRajKashyap, ellesappelle, ElectedFungus
Legacy LibrariesWalker Percy

English (9)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (11)
Interesting more as a glimpse into the English mind at a particular time than as drama. "Little squirrels?" Geesh. ( )
  Stubb | Aug 28, 2018 |
Includes line drawings [by the playwright?] ( )
  deckla | Aug 20, 2018 |
There are certain books in my life I regret reading and if I'm to list them, this play, 'Look Back In Anger', should find its place in the top 5. God! What a squalid exhibition of cheap melodrama! The play means to portray the conflicts between a husband from a working class origin and his upper middle class wife; the never failing age long formulated theme. As it requires, the protagonist is a tough and very 'intelligent' man, proud of experiencing all the harshness of life while the wife is cottony soft, always offering her never ending sea of love (the formula, remember?) Our protagonist ignores the love of his wife Alison and falls in love with her bestie, Helena, creating to some extent, a tension. Now, if you're much worried about the fate of poor dear Alison, don't worry! The formula is always up there. 'True love' always prevails.

One thing I'll admit about this book that John Osborne named his play very wisely. I read the book. I looked back in disbelief at what I read. It angered me. ( )
1 vote Shaker07 | May 18, 2017 |
Classic tale of angry young man Jimmy Porter. Years later, I met a man named Jimmy Porter, and I couldn't help thinking about this one. When you remember a character so well, it is a sign of a great book (or play in this case.) Not sure I've ever seen this performed, but it works well on paper. And we still have our angry young men; maybe more than ever. ( )
  datrappert | Oct 22, 2016 |
  kutheatre | Jun 7, 2015 |
For

MY FATHER
The Porters' one-room flat in a large Midland town.

Jimmy Porter plays trumpet badly. He browbeats his flatmate, terrorizes his wife, and is not above sleeping with her best friend-who loathes Jimmy almost as much as he loathes himself. Yet this working-class Hamlet, the original Angry Young Man, is one of the most mesmerizing characters ever to burst onto a stage, a malevolently vital, volcanically articulate internal exile in the dreary, dreaming Siberia of postwar England. First produced in 1956, Look Back in Anger launched a revolution in the English theater. Savagely, sadly, and always impolitely, it compels readers and audiences to acknowledge the hidden currents of rottenness and rage in what used to be called "the good life."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,000,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible