To Serve Them All My Days by R. F.…

To Serve Them All My Days (1972)

by R. F. Delderfield

Winter in Madrid by C. J. Sansom (Anonymous user)
    Tom Brown's School Days by Thomas Hughes (charlie68)
    charlie68: Similar themes and setting.
    Goodbye, Mr. Chips by James Hilton (charlie68)
    charlie68: Similar themes.

Wonderful story of courage, humanity and compassion. It shows how a hero can be just as important in a local and quiet setting as in a public and dramatic one.
  rosiezbanks | Feb 19, 2018 |
Shades of Good-bye Mr. Chips about a survivor from World War I finding salvation in teaching. History in two doses, of England between the two wars, and of England generally, very illuminating. ( )
  charlie68 | Jun 6, 2017 |
FANTASTIC. Far superior to Mr Chips, It works on many levels - as a teacher, student story, as an anti-war novel, as an insight into an overshadowed period of British History and as a sprawling, epic novel. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
I must have read this some years ago as parts of it seem familiar, yet others sparklingly fresh. There is much of 'Good-bye Mr Chips' in the story, albeit separated by a couple of generations - young inexperienced schoolmaster comes to an established school, challenges in school, love-marriage and death, and a headmastership. Perhaps that is why this feels so familiar?
To Serve Them All My Days is a much more complex and fulfilling story than Chips. You are drawn into the life of the school and Powlett-Jones, Pow-wow to the boys, in a way Hilton's shorter book cannot achieve.
Thoroughly enjoyable, if a bit long winded at times. Perhaps Delderfield need the editor Pow-wow had for 'The Royal Tigress'! ( )
  JenIanB | Aug 24, 2016 |
A wonderful look at England before and after WWI ( )
  winterslights | Jun 12, 2016 |
How soon hath Time, the subtle thief of youth,
Stolen on his wing my three and twentieth year!
My hasting days fly on with full career,
But my late spring no bud or blossom shew'th.
--John Milton
Dedicated to my friend and colleague
of the book world
ROBIN
DENNISTON
The guard at Exeter warned him he would have to change at Dulverton to pick up the westbound train to Bamfylde Bridge Halt, the nearest railhead to the school, but did not add that the wait between trains was an hour.

R.F. Delderfield is a born storyteller. ? Sunday Mirror The beloved classic saga from master author R. F. Delderfield, subject of a landmark BBC miniseries. To Serve Them All My Days is the moving saga of David Powlett-Jones, who returns from World War I injured and shell-shocked. He is hired to teach history at Bamfylde School, where he rejects the formal curriculum and teaches the causes and consequences of the Great War. Eventually David earns the respect of his students and many of his fellow teachers, against the backdrop of a country struggling to redefine itself. As David falls in love and finds himself on track to possibly take on the headmaster role, he must search to find the strength to hold true to his beliefs as the specter of another great war looms. To Serve Them All My Days is a brilliant picture of England between the World Wars, as the country comes to terms with the horrors of the Great War and the new forces reshaping the British government and society. Subject of a Landmark BBC Miniseries Includes Bonus Reading Group Guide WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING: "I sometimes still wake up in the morning and look forward to reading more about P.J. and Bamfylde." "From the stationmaster on the first page to the last boy on the last page, these characters all have a very human aspect that connects to you immediately." "This book should be in everyone's library." "This is an ennobling book?it showed a person wounded in body and spirit who found that concentrating on the details of teaching the schoolboys under his care was, in a sense, a healing meditation." "?just the book for a cold rainy day?with a hot cup of tea and a scone." "Mr. Delderfield's manner is easy, modest, heartwarming." Evening Standard "He built an imposing artistic social history that promises to join those of his great forebears in the long, noble line of the English novel. His narratives belong in a tradition that goes back to John Galsworthy and Arnold Bennett." Life Magazine "Sheer, wonderful storytelling." Chicago Tribune "Highly recommended. Combines tension with a splendid sense of atmosphere and vivid characterisation. An excellent read." Sunday Expres… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,526,416 books! | Top bar: Always visible