Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie

Hallowe'en Party (1969)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot Mystery (35)

English (48)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (52)
This is one of Agatha Christie's later Poirot novels. I still enjoyed the mystery and following Poirot as he gathers clues. However, I missed Hastings. Poirot's assistant in this novel was Ariadne Oliver, a mystery-writing friend of Poirots. She is not one of my favorite Agatha Christie characters. I did enjoy the references to other Agatha Christie novels throughout the text. If you have not read them, you probably wouldn't notice the references so I don't think it hurts to read out of order on these.
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
Halloween Party - Agatha Christie
audio performance by Hugh Fraser
3 stars
Mystery author, Ariadne Oliver attends a children’s Halloween party.A child is found drowned in the apple bobbing tub of water at the conclusion of the party. The victim,who has a well established reputation for lying, had reported seeing a murder. Before the strange conclusion, two (unlikable) children are dead and another (very likable) child is rescued in the nick of time.

Agatha Christie seems to have given up on aging Hercule Poirot appropriately for the purposes of this book. He works with Ariadne Oliver to solve the mystery without any apparent infirmities of age. Christie allows her characters a certain amount of ranting about how ‘one is always hearing of children being murdered these days’. She is apparently of the opinion that too many of the criminally insane are being released to commit further crimes.
I thought it was interesting to read about a British Halloween party. I’d thought most of these traditions were American. Ariadne does discourse a bit on whether the decorations are pumpkins or vegetable marrows, and apparently, in England, pumpkins are yellow.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
A good entertaining read - his is what Christie is so good at. ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
A pretty decent mystery novel that had some interesting and well-portrayed characters. A good tense ending and it was wrapped up satisfyingly. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
One of my favorite quotes of all time comes from this book. "Ever had a bite at a nice juicy apple and there, down by the core, something rather nasty rears itself up and wags its head you? Plenty of human beings about like that. More than there used to be, I'd say." - Dr. Fergusun ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Adams, TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fraser, HughNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moffatt, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To P. G. Wodehouse
whose books and stories have brightened my
life for many years. Also to show my pleasure
in his having been kind enough to tell me
that he enjoys my books
Mrs. Ariadne Oliver had gone with the friend with whom she was staying, Judith Butler, to help with the preparations for a children's party which was to take place that same evening.
(Judith Butler on teenage parties:) "Peculiar drugs and -- what do they call it? -- Flower Pot or Purple Hemp or L.S.D., which I always have thought just meant money, but apparently it doesn't."
"I suppose it costs it," suggested Ariadne Oliver.

From the back

The guests included ghoulies, ghosties, and long-leggedy beasties. But the scariest ingredient of the party was the little girl who claimed to have witnessed a murder.

Of course, no one believed her...until whe was drowned that very night.

Now the great detective, Herule Poirot, must unmask the murderer amongst the things that go bump in the night...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425129632, Mass Market Paperback)

At a Hallowe'en party, Hercule Poirot aids mystery writer Ariadne Oliver in an investigation into the murder of a young girl-who may have witnessed a murder herself. But unmasking the killer proves more daunting than bobbing for apples.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:04 -0400)

A Hercule Poirot Mystery.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,846,934 books! | Top bar: Always visible