Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie

Hallowe'en Party (1969)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot Mystery (36)

English (43)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (46)
Mixed feelings about this one. Not one I've come across on TV (yet), so didn't have any knowledge of who was going to be guilty. However, I did feel it was quite 'signposted' - quite a few of the main clues leapt out at me. Obviously not going to say which as that would spoil it for anyone reading this before the book. Otherwise, the usual, nicely crafted, Agatha Christie/Poirot, but not one of her best.

What I really didn't like was the continuing references by the characters, suggesting that the perpetrator, would be someone mentally unstable, deranged etc. I know these books were all written years ago, but it still jarred with me, especially as this was one of the later books & therefore was written and, probably, set within my lifetime.
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
A young girl boasts at a party that she has seen a murder and didn't report it because at first she didn't know what she saw......

No one believes her (because everyone knows she is a liar) except the murderer......

She is found drown bobbing for apples..... Then her little brother is murdered....

Mrs. Ariadne Oliver seeks M. Poirot's help in solving the crime. Many people are not quite who/what they seem and there are more than a few hidden connections.

I liked the story, I liked the characters, I liked that Hastings was absent, and Poirot was not his usual arrogant little self. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Mystery writer Ariadne Oliver attends a Halloween party for teenagers while visiting a friend. When one of the girls who bragged about witnessing a murder is found dead during the party, she calls her friend Hercule Poirot to help solve the mystery. His first problem is to determine how many murders he actually has on his hands, and that question proves more mysterious than one might first think.

This wasn’t a bad novel, but it certainly wasn’t her best. Most of the book consisted in Poirot talking to everyone who was at the party one by one, and that got boring pretty quickly. There was also a lot of dated (the book was published in 1969) commentary on people with mental health issues, and that started to bother me after the first dozen times it was brought up. I do have to give Christie props for always thinking outside the box when it comes to how the crime was committed and how the detective solves the case.
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
Mystery author Ariadne Oliver is visiting a new friend, Judith Butler, in Woodleigh Common. Both women have agreed to help prepare and oversee a Halloween party for children at Apple Trees manor. During the set-up of the party one of the children, 13-year-old Joyce Reynolds, boasts of having witnessed a murder several years earlier but she hadn't realized it was murder at the time. When the other children laughed at her and called her a liar Joyce refused to say anymore. Unfortunately for Joyce the wrong person heard her statement and later that evening Joyce was drowned in the 'bobbing-for-apples' bucket. Mrs. Oliver quickly contacts her old friend Hercule Poirot to come investigate the crime. Poirot learns that Joyce was indeed quite a liar but he does believe that her boastful statement at the party is the key to her murder. Unfortunately there have been several questionable deaths in Woodleigh Common in the last few years so Poirot must investigate these as well to find the answer.
It has been quite a few years since I have read a Christie mystery and I had forgotten how enjoyable they are. This one was full of red herrings and I didn't figure it out until there were only about 20 pages left. Good fun! ( )
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
An average Agatha Christie. ( )
  cazfrancis | Dec 4, 2015 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Adams, TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fraser, HughNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moffatt, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To P. G. Wodehouse
whose books and stories have brightened my
life for many years. Also to show my pleasure
in his having been kind enough to tell me
that he enjoys my books
Mrs. Ariadne Oliver had gone with the friend with whom she was staying, Judith Butler, to help with the preparations for a children's party which was to take place that same evening.
(Judith Butler on teenage parties:) "Peculiar drugs and -- what do they call it? -- Flower Pot or Purple Hemp or L.S.D., which I always have thought just meant money, but apparently it doesn't."
"I suppose it costs it," suggested Ariadne Oliver.

From the back

The guests included ghoulies, ghosties, and long-leggedy beasties. But the scariest ingredient of the party was the little girl who claimed to have witnessed a murder.

Of course, no one believed her...until whe was drowned that very night.

Now the great detective, Herule Poirot, must unmask the murderer amongst the things that go bump in the night...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425129632, Mass Market Paperback)

At a Hallowe'en party, Hercule Poirot aids mystery writer Ariadne Oliver in an investigation into the murder of a young girl-who may have witnessed a murder herself. But unmasking the killer proves more daunting than bobbing for apples.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:04 -0400)

A Hercule Poirot Mystery.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,046,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible