Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie

Hallowe'en Party (1969)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot Mystery (35)

English (52)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All (56)
Synopsis: There is a children's party in a small town. During the set-up a young girl declares that she's seen a murder; no one believes her. However, by the end of the party, the girl is dead. Drowned in the apple bobbing bucket. Hercule Peirot is called in to investigate. He must pull together threads from several unsolved cases to find who is hiding behind an innocent face.
Review: Most of this book was interesting, but there were some sections that were verbose and boring. ( )
  DrLed | Mar 15, 2017 |
For any fan of Agatha Christie, this is a solid effort! Thoroughly enjoyable! ( )
  bcotten | Dec 6, 2016 |
Something different. An interesting case for M.Poirot. A young girl is found drowned in the keg of bobbing apples at a Hallowe'en party just hours after declaring she had witnessed a murder. Poirot must discover if there are two murders to be solved or just one. ( )
  Hanneri | Nov 23, 2016 |
Between The Mysterious Affair of Styles (1920) and Hallowe’en Party (1965) there is a large gulf: that of Mrs. Christie’s way of viewing the world. From the careless, funny style, she became progressively darker, heavier, more negative. There are some funny moments in this book, but very few. Clearly her view of the world around her changed. She is clearly disappointed with how the modern “youth” behaved—but she continues to believe in the death penalty. The un-PC comments about how justice should be applied no matter the age of the criminal, are refreshing in our age of PC and Thought Police. Her many critical mentions of how young people behaved, talked and dressed are all over the book. Coming from a more Conservative world, it is very easy to understand how upsetting the new order is to her—and, boy, do I empathize! There are also a few mentions of what would have been very controversial subject (the matter of sexual preferences), which surprised me; but they are very discreetly worked into the story. The movie made of this book recently, twisted this part in such a way as to completely deform and distance itself from the subtle strokes she used when brushing the subject. Not as great as her older books, but still a Christie in high form. ( )
  MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |
This is one of Agatha Christie's later Poirot novels. I still enjoyed the mystery and following Poirot as he gathers clues. However, I missed Hastings. Poirot's assistant in this novel was Ariadne Oliver, a mystery-writing friend of Poirots. She is not one of my favorite Agatha Christie characters. I did enjoy the references to other Agatha Christie novels throughout the text. If you have not read them, you probably wouldn't notice the references so I don't think it hurts to read out of order on these.
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Adams, TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fraser, HughNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moffatt, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To P. G. Wodehouse
whose books and stories have brightened my
life for many years. Also to show my pleasure
in his having been kind enough to tell me
that he enjoys my books
Mrs. Ariadne Oliver had gone with the friend with whom she was staying, Judith Butler, to help with the preparations for a children's party which was to take place that same evening.
(Judith Butler on teenage parties:) "Peculiar drugs and -- what do they call it? -- Flower Pot or Purple Hemp or L.S.D., which I always have thought just meant money, but apparently it doesn't."
"I suppose it costs it," suggested Ariadne Oliver.

From the back

The guests included ghoulies, ghosties, and long-leggedy beasties. But the scariest ingredient of the party was the little girl who claimed to have witnessed a murder.

Of course, no one believed her...until whe was drowned that very night.

Now the great detective, Herule Poirot, must unmask the murderer amongst the things that go bump in the night...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425129632, Mass Market Paperback)

At a Hallowe'en party, Hercule Poirot aids mystery writer Ariadne Oliver in an investigation into the murder of a young girl-who may have witnessed a murder herself. But unmasking the killer proves more daunting than bobbing for apples.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:04 -0400)

A Hercule Poirot Mystery.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,463,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible