Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie

Hallowe'en Party (1969)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot Mystery (36)

1,986None3,375 (3.46)55

English (28)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (30)
Interesting plot and some lovely characters (Miranda comes to mind) but the murderers are too out there for my taste, it seems far-fetched somewhat. I wish Christie had spent more time on one of them, at the end it felt too much like cardboard characters. The motive was strangely original too. ( )
  RubyScarlett | Nov 11, 2013 |
Hercule never disappoints! ( )
  JEB5 | Oct 30, 2013 |
Oh, the agony, the agony. I feel like Poirot would have felt surrounded by uneven piles of rubbish, in a non symmetrical room.

Oh, dearest reader, if you don't want to face the painful knowledge that Agatha Christie had her REALLY bad days, don't pick up this book. When starting this book, I thought I was reading a really bad first draft, not a published version.

The story plot seemed weak, and even Poirot seemed to have lost his sparkle. And beyond a point, I wasn't sorry the girl had died. I was just sorry that all the other characters were still alive. *sigh*

If you need more convincing that this is not the best of books to read, consider this: it's been atleast 8 years since I read this book, and the finer details have skipped my mind, but merely reading the title again has driven me into a rage. :P After all, time wasted is time wasted, no matter how many years ago it was. :D ( )
  Jey_13 | Jul 4, 2013 |
Halloween story from the files of Christie taking place in a town near Manchester, England. Hercules Poirot is called upon by friend and mystery novelist Ariadne Oliver to solve the case of a young girl found drowned in the bobbing-for-apples barrel at a adolescent Halloween party.
Good story. Reads quickly. I of course did not expect the who in the who dunnit. Characters are quirky. ( )
  FMRox | Jan 29, 2013 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fraser, HughNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moffatt, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To P. G. Wodehouse
whose books and stories have brightened my
life for many years. Also to show my pleasure
in his having been kind enough to tell me
that he enjoys my books
Mrs. Ariadne Oliver had gone with the friend with whom she was staying, Judith Butler, to help with the preparations for a children's party which was to take place that same evening.
(Judith Butler on teenage parties:) "Peculiar drugs and -- what do they call it? -- Flower Pot or Purple Hemp or L.S.D., which I always have thought just meant money, but apparently it doesn't."
"I suppose it costs it," suggested Ariadne Oliver.

From the back

The guests included ghoulies, ghosties, and long-leggedy beasties. But the scariest ingredient of the party was the little girl who claimed to have witnessed a murder.

Of course, no one believed her...until whe was drowned that very night.

Now the great detective, Herule Poirot, must unmask the murderer amongst the things that go bump in the night...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425129632, Mass Market Paperback)

At a Hallowe'en party, Hercule Poirot aids mystery writer Ariadne Oliver in an investigation into the murder of a young girl-who may have witnessed a murder herself. But unmasking the killer proves more daunting than bobbing for apples.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:34 -0400)

At a Hallowe'en party, Joyce - a hostile thirteen-year-old - boasts that she once witnessed a murder. When no one believes her, she storms off home. But within hours her body is found, still in the house, drowned in an apple-bobbing tub. That night, Hercule Poirot is called in to find the 'evil presence'. But first he must establish whether he is looking for a murderer or a double-murderer.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,389 books! | Top bar: Always visible