Hallowe'en Party (1969)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Ariadne Oliver (7), Hercule Poirot (31)

Fiction. Mystery. Historical Fiction. HTML:

Inspiration for the major motion picture A Haunting in Venice, directed by and starring Kenneth Branagh, coming September 2023!

When a Halloween Party turns deadly, it falls to Hercule Poirots to unmask a murderer in Agatha Christie's classic murder mystery, Hallowe'en Party.

At a Halloween party, Joyce??a hostile thirteen-year-old??boasts that she once witnessed a murder. When no one believes her, she storms off home. But within hours her body is found, still in the house, drowned in an apple-bobbing tub.

That night, Hercule Poirot is called in to find the 'evil presence'. But first he must establish whether he is looking for a murderer or a double-murderer..… (more)

English (94)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Danish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (102)
A thirteen-year-old girl, Joyce Reynolds, is murdered at a Halloween party, drowned in the tub where the partygoers had earlier bobbed for apples, and Hercule Poirot is called in by his friend, crime novelist Ariadne Oliver, who was a guest in the home where the murder occurred. Hours before the party, Joyce made a pronouncement that she had once witnessed a murder; however, all the individuals Poirot interviewed unanimously dismissed her as the teller of tall tales, casting doubt on that revelation as a motive. Despite rather flat characters and snails’ pace plot, I enjoyed the complicated unraveling of the mysterious deaths related to Joyce’s. Not my favorite Christie work. ( )
  bschweiger | Feb 4, 2024 |
The newest Poirot movie was based on this, but very little of the story remained the same. This one didn't hold my attention like others in the series. A young girls is killed after claiming to have witnessed a murder, but everyone says she was a compulsive liar. Poirot works with a famous author to try to solve the case. Not a bad mystery, just missing some of the urgency in Christie's others. ( )
  bookworm12 | Dec 20, 2023 |
A clever mystery that leaves the reader guessing. A young girl outs drowned in a peculiar way and Peroit is called in. The characters are introduced as he interviews them. A flavor of the English countryside is added. ( )
  waldhaus1 | Nov 18, 2023 |
One of her later novels (published in 1969), Christie hauls out Poirot from her bookcase of detectives to solve the mystery of 13-year-old Joyce's death, an annoying girl who is drowned in a bucket while bobbing for apples at a Halloween Party. Even Poirot seems a bit hackneyed on this job. A semi-enjoyable and fast read, but not one of Christie's best. The ending also was too abrupt, like she was hurrying to meet a deadline. A low pick. 3.5/5.
  crabbyabbe | Nov 5, 2023 |
I enjoyed this story—and it's one of the few Christie books where I've guessed whodunnit* and why—but it's a lesson in public domain publishing as well. The copy that I read was an ebook I picked up cheap with "public domain" listed as the publisher, and the quality is very poor. Sentence and paragraph breaks in odd places were the worst offender. So, note to self: pay a little more next time and get a copy published by someone willing to put their name on it. I would have enjoyed this story more, I feel, had I not been reading such a poor quality copy of it. (Side note: the cover image on my copy is NOT the one shown here.)

* one of whodunnit, anyway ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Oct 26, 2023 |

Thommessen, GunnarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
van de Berg, AlbertPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
van Kasteren, LambertCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To P. G. Wodehouse
whose books and stories have brightened my
life for many years. Also to show my pleasure
in his having been kind enough to tell me
that he enjoys my books
Mrs. Ariadne Oliver had gone with the friend with whom she was staying, Judith Butler, to help with the preparations for a children's party which was to take place that same evening.
(Judith Butler on teenage parties:) "Peculiar drugs and – what do they call it? – Flower Pot or Purple Hemp or L.S.D., which I always have thought just meant money, but apparently it doesn't."
"I suppose it costs it," suggested Ariadne Oliver.

Fiction. Mystery. Historical Fiction. HTML:

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,552,261 books! | Top bar: Always visible