Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie

Death on the Nile

by Agatha Christie

Other authors: David Suchet

Series: Hercule Poirot Mystery (17), Colonel Race (3)

Evil Under the Sun by Agatha Christie (Porua)
    Porua: Hercule Poirot and holidays never get on well together. Wherever Poirot goes death seems to stalk him. If anyone enjoys Death on the Nile s/he should also enjoy Evil under the Sun. Both books feature not only Poirot in a holiday mood but also women who are fatally attractive and men who desperately fall for them. But then things are not always what they seem.… (more)
    Death at La Fenice by Donna Leon (Smiler69)
    Smiler69: Donna Leon must have read many Agatha Christie novels in her day. Her series of murder mysteries are all set in Venice, Italy.

I decided to read this book after cruising the Nile and seeing the hotel where Agatha Christie stayed on her visit to Egypt. I thought it would be fun to read while the places she mentions in the book are still fresh in my mind.

I liked this story very much....even though I'm not a mystery fan in general. Ms. Christie did keep me guessing along with Mr. Poirot as he tried to solve the murders on the ship. ( )
  LynnB | Jun 11, 2019 |
A beautiful young woman’s mysterious death shatters a peaceful cruise on the Nile, but Hercule Poirot is determined to find the killer who’s still onboard.

This is one of my favorite Hercule Poirot mysteries. The setting is exotic, the mystery is smart, and the reveal is extremely satisfying! I didn’t see the ending coming, and for me, that’s the mark of a great mystery. What I love most is that this book is that it’s transporting—meaning that I felt like I was floating down the Nile with Hercule Poirot. The atmosphere is fantastic!

Bonus: Rumor has it that Death on the Nile will be the sequel to the recent Murder on the Orient Express movie!

Read more Agatha Christie reviews on my blog at bigdipperbooks.com ( )
  melissa_faith | Mar 16, 2019 |
Death on the Nile is your typical Hercule Poirot mystery involving a menagerie of colorful yet mysterious characters and an inconvenient murder during a holiday outing. I used to read Agatha Christie novels as a child, mainly due to a fascination with the ingenious deductive methods of the extraordinary "sleuth," and seemed a bit more accessible than Sherlock Holmes at the time. While I enjoy Hercule Poirot as a character, the mystery novel format of gathering a dozen or so red herrings around a convoluted murder plot and then unraveling false leads one by one in agonizing detail can become a bit monotonous. This is especially true of Death on the Nile, with a less than plausible murder plot and peripheral characters whose only role is to provide inconsequential side "mysteries" for Poirot to solve along the way. Of course, this is precisely what most people read Agatha Christie novels for, but I would argue that, even in this regard, Death on the Nile is not the strongest entry into the genre. Entertaining, but overall, not impressive. ( )
  smichaelwilson | Jan 16, 2019 |
Synopsis: Two people are being persecuted by a woman who is still in love with the man. She follows them all over, finally confronting them during their honeymoon on the Nile. Of course Hercule Poirot finds the clues and understands what is happening.
Review: As with all of the Poirot novels/stories,this one drags in places, but the plot is riveting. ( )
  DrLed | Nov 20, 2018 |
In which the Belgian detective’s Egyptian holiday is ruined by love triangles, tourists, and murder.

"Death on the Nile" is, in many ways, the quintessential Agatha Christie novel. Amidst a colourful setting, a variety of characters – some openly shadowy, others repressing their quirks – are suspected in a locked-room murder, while romances and rivalries obfuscate Poirot’s attempts to untangle the situation. There’s no surprise, then, that this is one of her most well-known works, and opened the Peter Ustinov “all-star” film series of the ’70s and ’80s. As with all Christie’s work set in Africa and the Middle East, she devotes a good deal of time to the lush setting, although here it feels less textured than "Murder in Mesopotamia" or "Appointment with Death". Both the Ustinov and Suchet films have been very successful, although how can you really go wrong with a steamer on the Nile?

On a personal level, though, I’ve always found this novel to be a little cold and analytical. Perhaps I was just not drawn into the lives of the characters, whose scattershot nature conflicts with their seeming familiarity with one another. ("Murder on the Orient Express" succeeds for the opposite reason: everyone tries to keep to themselves, making us wonder who is connected to each other. Here, no one can keep to themselves, making us wish they would.) Or perhaps the murder – which is cleverly done, and will hopefully leave most people surprised – just relies on too many coincidences for my liking. Ultimately, though, I think I’m biased against this because I guessed the murderer’s identity. It’s probably the only Christie we’re I’ve ever done so, and the lesson I learnt was that I’d rather be surprised!

[Incidentally, Colonel Race makes his final appearance in Christie's canon and, although his part could have been played by any old friend of Poirot's, it's nice to see Christie continue to interweave her narrative worlds.]

In short, top marks for construction, and it’s certainly famed for a reason, but it’s just not my bag.

Poirot ranking: 14th of 38 ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
Linnet Rideway es una joven agraciada y millonaria que lo posee todo. Su amiga, Jacqueline de Bellefort, no menos hermosa aunque pobre, sólo tiene amor de su prometido Simon Doyle. Sin embargo, Simon acaba casándose con Linnet. El nuevo matrimonio inicia un crucero por el Nilo a bordo de Karnak y durante el viaje, que habría de haber sido el mejor viaje de su vida, Linnet muere asesinada. Tras su asesinato se suceden otros que serán investigados por Hercule Poirot, que viaja en el mismo crucero.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Timson, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vergult, CécileIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vreeland, MyraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Masterpieces of Murder: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, And Then There Were None, Witness for the Prosecution, Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie

Death on the Nile / Murder on the Orient Express / The A.B.C. Murders / Cards on the Table / Thirteen at Dinner by Agatha Christie

Hercule Poirotin johtolangat : viisi kuulua mysteeriä by Agatha Christie

Perilous Journeys of Hercule Poirot: Death on the Nile, Murder in Mesopotamia, Mystery of the Blue Train by Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie Crime Collection: After the Funeral / Death on the Nile / Towards Zero by Agatha Christie

Poirot in the Orient: Murder in Mesopotamia, Death on the Nile, Appointment With Death by Agatha Christie

Has the adaptation

To
SYBIL BURNETT
who also loves wandering around the world
'Linnet Ridgeway!'
If there were only any peace in Egypt I should like it better," said Mrs. Allerton. "But you can never be alone anywhere. Someone is always pestering you for money, or offering you donkeys, or beads, or expeditions to native villages, or duck shooting.
It’s so dreadfully easy...killing people… And you begin to feel that it doesn’t matter…That it’s only you that matters! It’s dangerous...that.
Do not confuse with the short story of the same name.
Do not combine with the film.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425200469, Mass Market Paperback)

Hercule Poirot is perhaps Agatha Christie's most interesting and endearing character; short, round, and slightly comical, Poirot has a razor-sharp mind and puts unlimited trust in his "little grey cells." Those little cells come through for him every time, enabling Poirot to solve some of the most baffling mysteries ever conceived. In Death on the Nile, Poirot, on vacation in Africa, meets the rich, beautiful Linnet Doyle and her new husband, Simon. As usual, all is not as it seems between the newlyweds, and when Linnet is found murdered, Poirot must sort through a boatload of suspects to find the killer before he (or she) strikes again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:51 -0400)

A murder on a cruise ship on the Nile baffles everyone except ace detective Hercule Poirot.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,736,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible