The Silver Chair (1953)

by C. S. Lewis

Two English children undergo hair-raising adventures as they go on a search and rescue mission for the missing Prince Rilian, who is held captive in the underground kingdom of the Emerald Witch.

English (153)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Polish (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (162)
Even with the clouded mind I finished the book, I guessed that the knight was Rilian. It was just right there in front of your face if you don’t guess right. The Caspian in the real world was a twist I did not see coming. ( )
  MaryRachelSmith | May 23, 2022 |
An interesting story ( )
  Bookslesstravelled | Apr 15, 2022 |
I like Jack and I like this book, but I don’t have much to say about it. It’s very similar to the first three books, and especially to the first one, (gluttony goes with sloth), except that the girl is more prominent—and the girl is a character whose lore I am no expert in.

So I’ll just talk about Jack, for his crusty old Jesus and the sheer magic of it. I like what Jack represents enough that I am not sure that I am a liberal Christian at all, just a conservative one that’s moderately obsessed with racism and discrimination.

Conservative: Yes, racism, very unfortunate, it used to be practiced on one of the countries on the Continent….
Liberal Conservative: You’re embarrassing me. No, I think they put it in your roast beef; even the best minds and hearts seem to have it, and people didn’t used to even dream it was there….

But I’m not really a liberal without qualification, especially if that implies Ernest Renan and Vicky’s Krauts, you know. I’d read all the books if I could, but I try not to favor the intellectual ones too absolutely, because I know what lies can be in a book. More factoids, more illusions. Of course, I think books tend to militate against gluttony and sloth, held the right way—certainly one kind of sloth, the radio creed. But as something to sacrifice cows to, books aren’t so good.

(And if you were really that kind of liberal, you’d think that once everyone was a biologist, we’d do something other than engage in biological warfare. But what else is there for animal man to do, I wonder? Read the Bible, maybe?)

It’s not that Jack isn’t a little macho in his own bookish little way, but he hasn’t forgotten the magic, either. “Don’t let in the light! No large windows, darkness is essential! Windows make you weak, and I won’t let anyone inside! A man’s home is his fortress, and I am a man, and this is and must be, my dark, cold, damp fortress!”

But he amuses me, because he knows a giant isn’t just something that your nursemaid made up, too.

…. I would say that Jack has a very sympathetic ear for mental illness (madness)—maybe more so than me, for I have been mad, and every bit as mad as the world, and obviously more obviously so. Actually what made me more mad than you was that I tried to apply all my mad ideas consistently. But I was clearly ill. Still, sometimes we are all mad because the rest of us are too. And sometimes when you are not mad, *that* is when you are sure not to be rewarded (that much, if at all), and *that* is ill.

…. And I like how, the Knight (how Jack satirizes his own field of medieval romance) cannot “remember” (accept) the true self in the delusion, but once he comes to, he knows very well, what he has suffered.
  goosecap | Feb 3, 2022 |
A magical journey by two young children to rescue the king's son from the spell of the Winter Witch in the Underworld.
  BLTSbraille | Oct 2, 2021 |
The mythical land of Narnia and the adventures one always has there are the subject of this charming book, the fourth in a series that fortunately shows no sign of ending.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Chad Walsh (pay site) (Dec 27, 1953)

C. S. Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Northam, JeremyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Allsburg, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Nicholas Hardie
It was a dull autumn day and Jill Pole was crying behind the gym.
Det var en trist efterårsdag, og Jill Pole stod og græd bag gymnastiksalen.
"Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all these things—trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made up things seem a great deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world. Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And that’s a funny thing, when you come to think of it. We’re just babies making up a game, if you’re right. But four babies making up a game can make a play-world which licks your real world hollow. That’s why I’m going to stick with the play world."
Unabridged. Please do NOT combine with any abridged editions.
Please do NOT combine "The Silver Chair" with "The Chronicles of Narnia"

Jill and Eustace must rescue the Prince from the evil Witch.

NARNIA...where owls are wise, where some of the giants like to snack on humans, where a prince is put under an evil spell...and where the adventure begins.

Eustace and Jill escape from the bullies at school through a strange door in the wall, which, for once, is unlocked. It leads to the open moor...or does it? Once again Aslan has a task for the children, and Narnia needs them. Through dangers untold and caverns deep and dark, they pursue the quest that brings them face and face with the evil Witch. She must be defeated if Prince Rillian is to be saved.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,313,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible