Hilda and the Midnight Giant by Luke Pearson

Hilda and the Midnight Giant (2011)

by Luke Pearson

A quick mini review since I'm on vacation. Wonderful second book in this original fairy tale series. Hilda finds out her forest is inhabited by both little folk and giants putting herself in the perspective of both as well. While trying to solve the problem she is causing the little people who have let themselves become visible to her she meets the last of the old giants who has come looking for his friend who had promised to meet him here four thousand years ago. Wonderful characters and story. A pure delight to read! An interesting end which makes us wonder what is in store for Hilda and her mother in the next book. ( )
  ElizaJane | Mar 16, 2016 |
I read something about this recently that caused me to make a special trip to the library for it, but I can't remember what it was. Visually, this book is lovely. The world is a very whimsical one, with interesting creatures and a mother and daughter that interact more like friends. I think I was expecting to be blown away, and I wasn't really, but it is definitely enjoyable.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
Recensione su: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-o1
Review at: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-o1 ( )
  Saretta.L | Jan 23, 2015 |
Hilda and the Midnight Giant by Luke Pearson is another book that has unfortunately fallen through the cracks of my review schedule. Originally I read it as part of the 2012 CYBILs. I even wrote the blurb for it when it made to the short list. I think in writing the blurb, I wanted more time to think about what else to say, and to avoid undue influence on the judging process. Somehow though, I never did get back to writing a review for posting on this blog. Now it's a year and a half later and I'm still thinking fondly of the book. I've also since then read Hilda and the Bird Parade and have Hilda and the Black Hound waiting on my to be read shelf. Hilda with her blue hair and plucky spirit, reminds me of Laika Entertainment's 2009 adaptation of Coraline by Neil Gaiman. With her yellow scarf, red shirt, and blue skirt, she's even dressed in a similar fashion. Regardless of the reasons (if any) behind the similarities, the basic look of Hilda put me in the mood for an otherworldly experience, and that's exactly what Luke Pearson delivered.

Hilda and her mother for reasons left unmentioned, live in an Alpine area, far from human civilization. Soon, though, Hilda discovers that it's not far from other, magical types of civilization. In fact she and her mother have been stomping through an unseen village for months (years?) until something happened to open up Hilda's eyes.

Then like a slowly peeled union, more and more of the scope of this hidden world is revealed. The whole valley and mountainous area takes on new meaning. But this new awareness on Hilda's part also introduces new dangers to her and her mother. Ultimately they have to decide if they can live in harmony with their neighbors or if they should rejoin society and let the cabin go.

Beyond the Coraline connection, there's also a nod to Studio Ghibli in the interaction between humanity and faerie or the spirit world, as represented by (and hidden by) the surrounding nature. I think any fan of My Neighbor Totoro or Spirited Away will appreciate Hilda and the Midnight Giant. ( )
1 vote pussreboots | Sep 26, 2014 |
What a lovely, odd, sweet story. Great art too. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |

Hilda finds her world turned upside down as she faces the prospect of leaving her snow-capped birthplace for the hum of the megalopolis. Her mother, an architect, has been offered a prestigious position in the bustling metropolis that she would find hard to reject. Besides, the tiny elven creatures making a daily habit of bombarding them with threats isn't making Hilda's case any better. As she seeks ways to stall her mother's decision, Hilda rushes to befriend the very source of her malady - will they help or hinder her? More importantly, who is this mysterious Midnight Giant? -- pub. website.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,306,433 books! | Top bar: Always visible