Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales (2009)

by Jacob Grimm, Wilhelm Grimm

More than 200 tales by the Brothers Grimm.
    Italian Folktales by Italo Calvino (sibyllacumaea)
    The Brothers Grimm: From Enchanted Forests to the Modern World by Jack Zipes (_Zoe_)
    Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl (sturlington)
    sturlington: Dahl based his poems on Grimms' tales
    Reckless by Cornelia Funke (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Funke's Mirrorworld is imbued with the themes and atmosphere of the Grimm tales, even though the modern world is encroaching.

Probably one of the only books that I've read many times, and also one of the largest I've read in my life. I was so keen on fairy tales I was a kid! ( )
  luciarux | Jul 3, 2022 |
Magical but dark. Take care with the maturity level of the child reading the book.
  Windyone1 | May 10, 2022 |
So to be honest, I didn't read ever tale, I never intended to. I mostly just wanted to skim the ones I love. I had never read the originals before (not to my knowledge anyway) and wanted to. Basically, the ones that are the most well known, are well known for a reason. Some of the lesser known ones are good as well, but my favorites were all the famous ones. I have to admit, I like a lot of the newer takes one them than the originals. I was surprised to find a lot of the tales talking about religion and such, but I guess that was the time they were written. It was interesting to read. (Or rather skim) ( )
  banrions | Dec 7, 2021 |
I'm giving this five stars but actually for me it's unrateable (apparently this is not a word) because of all the memories attached.

With the many illustrations and (shorter) fairy tales this is a good book to read to children. It's what I give all my friends and family who just got their first child. And I never got a complaint. Even the ones who normally don't like to read, like this one, if only because it looks pretty in a bookcase/on a bookshelf. ( )
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
Although this was one part of a two book set, there was a great contrast to Andersen’s Fairy Tales. At times it seemed as if this were the Cliff Notes of fairy tales, rather than what I would have expected from the Ugly Duckling, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Snow White, Hansel and Gretel and others. I suppose that over time the details of these stories have been embellished by others all the way up to Walt Disney. The lesser known tales have the usual heads chopped off, people transformed into animals, parents abandoning their children, wicked stepmothers, and so on. A surprising number of these tales repeat themselves. For example, several evil characters are cut open and filled with stones, then sown up again. Quite disappointing. You should read the revised versions. ( )
  drardavis | Sep 14, 2021 |

Is contained in

Contains

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a commentary on the text

Sage vergeht nie ganz, die verbreitete,
welche der Völker redende Lippe umschwebt:
denn sie ist unsterbliche Göttin (Hesiod, 763)
An die Frau Bettina von Arnim
In olden times, when wishing still helped, there lived a king whose daughters were all beautiful, but the youngest was so beautiful that the sun itself, which had seen so many things, was always filled with amazement each time it cast its rays upon her face.
Long ago, when wishes often came true, there lived a King whose daughters were all handsome, but the youngest was so beautiful that the sun himself, who has seen everything, was bemused every time he shone over her because of her beauty.
More than 200 tales by the Brothers Grimm.

For almost two centuries, the stories of magic and myth gathered by the Brothers Grimm have been part of the way children—and adults—learn about the vagaries of the real world. Cinderella, Rapunzel, Snow-White, Hänsel and Gretel, Little Red-Cap (a.k.a. Little Red Riding Hood), and Briar-Rose (a.k.a. Sleeping Beauty) are only a few of more than 200 enchanting characters included here.
Presents over two hundred tales by the Brothers Grimm, including well-known ones like "Sleeping Beauty," and darker tales such as "Death's Messengers." (Amazon.com offers a Look Inside, with Table of Contents, at https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASI...)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,665,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible