Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee

Go Set a Watchman (2015)

by Harper Lee

5,3033431,262 (3.36)3 / 272
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (JuliaMaria, KayCliff)
    JuliaMaria: Harper Lee hat nur zwei Bücher veröffentlicht. Das zweite - "Gehe hin, stelle einen Wächter" - erst mit 90 Jahren - auch wenn es schon früher geschrieben wurde. Es war die literarische Sensation des Jahres 2015.
    KayCliff: Go Set a Watchman is the sequel to To Kill a Mocking Bird
    Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor (amanda4242)
    The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Another story of the south by an author with similar background.
    The Optimist's Daughter by Eudora Welty (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Moving and bittersweet, these Southern Gothic novels portray women pushed to their emotional limits as they return home and re-establish old relationships. Both are literary and character-driven, with a thoughtful style that also references mid-twentieth-century events and attitudes.… (more)
    The Keepers of the House by Shirley Ann Grau (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Southern values shortly before the civil rights era
    Tongues of flame by Mary Ward Brown (andrewcorser)
    andrewcorser: Further insight into the Southern States
    Four Spirits by Sena Jeter Naslund (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although Go Set a Watchman takes a more humorous approach than Four Spirits, both novels, set in the mid-twentieth-century South, spotlight the effects of the Civil Rights Movement on individuals. They are captivating, character-driven cameos representing society as a whole.… (more)

English (334)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (343)
I didn't know when I started that this not a sequel to To Kill A Mockingbird, so I was decently confused by a certain point. Once I found out that it was just an eairly version it made a lot of since. I haven't read To Kill A Mockingbird since I was in school so my memory in it is hazy. I remember it being better developed and having less long sections of flashbacks and meandering thoughts and overall presenting everything in a way that made a lot more sense to me as a child then this book would have. I can see a lot of the ideas in this book in that one. Overall I can see the issue a lot of people seem to take with this book, but I still gave it a good rating because, while I might not have agreed with all of it's points, there was a lot of points that rang true to things I see happening now. That made some of it, in different parts, more interesting or upsetting. ( )
  Natix | Jun 3, 2019 |
This book was read in Swedish.

I have avoided reading reviews of this book because I didn't want to read spoilers and I also didn't want other people's thoughts to influence my thoughts of the book.

I also was a bit nervous to start to read it because To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my all time favorite books and well I didn't think this one would be as good, but at the same time since I read how disappointed many was over this book and how angry they were over how Atticus was portraited in this book. And, I can understand that. But at the same time I can understand him since racism against African Americans was very common in Alabama at that time. I also think that the ending with Scout and her uncle Jack discussing her different opinions and how important that she sees her father as human and that it was time for her to stop thinking of him as a God was an important part of the book. And, since I have never put Atticus on a pedestal didn't my images of him shatter when I read about his opinions of African Americans people. I didn't agree with him, but I was also not upset. I was more surprised that it took 26 years for Scout to realize it. But the flashbacks in this book I think showed quite well how little Scout knew and how blind she was and how blind she is.

But I must admit that this book was just not as good as To Kill a Mockingbird. The story in this book had just not the same impact as the previous book had. I was wondering quite a long time while I read the book what the point of the book was. It had some funny moments, for instance, young Scout thinking she was pregnant. But Frankly it feels that this book is not that necessary to read unless you want to know what happened with Scout, Jem, and Dill. And, I missed Jem and Dill in this book.

So in the end all I want to say that I'm glad that the publisher told Harper Lee to write a book about Scout growing instead of publishing this one. Because if they hadn't done that we probably wouldn't have had To Kill a Mockingbird. ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
It makes me sad that I wasn't a big fan of this one. I guess I just couldn't reconcile my vision of these people with Lee's, even though I know I'm the one who is wrong. Oh well. ( )
  kweber319 | May 13, 2019 |
I am thankful that I insist on making up my own mind. There are many people actually complaining about this novel. One of the things that is said, is that this book was forced into publication in order for Ms Lee. to pay her bills. I am not sure of this because I have seen interviews to the contrary. My other thought is that many books are published to help authors pay their bills. Also if she hadn't published it in her lifetime, I think odds are pretty good it would be published posthumously.The other major argument is that Atticus Finch is a racist. I wonder if those people actually read this book. Thier statements make it sound as if the book is full of racist comments that no one should read it lest their mind be tainted. Jean Louise (AKA Scout) does come home to what she sees as a different world then she left. It is easy to chose your memories at any age, and to adapt your thinking pro or con to any idea simply because of your viewpoint. As a child it is easy to put adults on pedestals. Sometimes as we grow those pedestals often seem to shrink. Who better than Atticus to give everyone a right to speak whether he agrees with it or not. Who better to be concerned about everyone's rights and protection than his own progeny. It should be every parent's desire to have their child stand up for perceived injustices.
Go Set a Watchman is not an easy read. As a sketch of its several characters I felt like the meanderings may have been more helpful than not, because we are often not linear beings and we wander considerably. This book requires time and focus, but it is worth it. If you watched the news at all in 2015 you are aware that racism is still a considerable problem, maybe the problem is that we are wishing the problem away and not making open and honest conversation about it. This book does that. I hope that it gets larger acclaim and isn't banned for it's use of the "N" word. I want to go read "To Kill a Mockingbird" soon and possibly add the biography of Harper Lee, and then reread Go Set a Watchman.
1 vote ISCCSandy | Apr 9, 2019 |
1 vote ISCCSandy | Apr 9, 2019 |
And so beneath Atticus’s style of enlightenment is a kind of bigotry that could not recognize itself as such at the time. The historical and human fallacies of the Agrarian ideology hardly need to be rehearsed now, but it should be said that these views were not regarded as ridiculous by intellectuals at the time. Indeed, Jean Louise/Lee herself, though passionately opposed to what her uncle and her father are saying, nevertheless accepts the general terms of the debate as the right ones.
added by danielx | editNew Yorker, Adam Gopnik (Jul 27, 2015)

Go Set a Watchman is a troubling confusion of a novel, politically and artistically, beginning with its fishy origin story. .. I ached for this adult Scout: The civil rights movement may be gathering force, but the second women's movement hasn't happened yet. I wanted to transport Scout to our own time — take her to a performance of Fun Home on Broadway — to know that, if she could only hang on, the possibilities for nonconforming tomboys will open up. Lee herself, writing in the 1950s, lacks the language and social imagination to fully develop this potentially powerful theme.
added by danielx | editNPR books, Maureen Corrigan (Jul 13, 2015)

Despite the boldness and bravery of its politics, Go Set a Watchman is a very rough diamond in literary terms … it is a book of enormous literary interest, and questionable literary merit.
added by Widsith | editThe Independent, Arifa Akbar (Jul 13, 2015)

It is, in most respects, a new work, and a pleasure, revelation and genuine literary event, akin to the discovery of extra sections from T S Eliot’s The Waste Land or a missing act from Hamlet hinting that the prince may have killed his father.
added by Widsith | editThe Guardian, Mark Lawson (Jul 12, 2015)

Watchman is both a painful complication of Harper Lee’s beloved book and a confirmation that a novel read widely by schoolchildren is far more bitter than sweet. Watchman is alienating from the very start.
added by Widsith | editTime, Daniel D'Addario (Jul 11, 2015)

Lee, Harperprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Drews, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Johansson, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Witherspoon, ReeseReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Mr. Lee and Alice
Since Atlanta, she had looked out the dining-car window with a delight almost physical.
"Every man's island, Jean Louise, every man's watchman, is his conscience." "There is no such thing as a collective conscious".
"Aunty," she said, cordially, "why don't you go pee in your hat?"
I need a watchman to lead me around and declare what he seeth every hour on the hour.  I need a watchman to tell me this is what a man says but this is what he means, to draw a line down the middle and say here is this justice and there is that justice and make me understand the difference. I need a watchman to go forth and proclaim to them all that twenty-six years is too long to play a joke on anybody, no matter how funny it is.
I was taught never to take advantage of anybody who was less fortunate than myself, whether he be less fortunate in brains, wealth, or social position; it meant anybody, not just Negroes. I was given to understand that the reverse was to be despised. That is the way I was raised, by a black woman and a white man.
I detest the sound of it as much as its matter

From Harper Lee comes a landmark new novel set two decades after her beloved Pulitzer Prize–winning masterpiece, To Kill a Mockingbird.

Maycomb, Alabama. Twenty-six-year-old Jean Louise Finch—"Scout"—returns home from New York City to visit her aging father, Atticus. Set against the backdrop of the civil rights tensions and political turmoil that were transforming the South, Jean Louise's homecoming turns bittersweet when she learns disturbing truths about her close-knit family, the town, and the people dearest to her. Memories from her childhood flood back, and her values and assumptions are thrown into doubt. Featuring many of the iconic characters from To Kill a Mockingbird, Go Set a Watchman perfectly captures a young woman, and a world, in painful yet necessary transition out of the illusions of the past—a journey that can only be guided by one's own conscience.

Written in the mid-1950s, Go Set a Watchman imparts a fuller, richer understanding and appreciation of Harper Lee. Here is an unforgettable novel of wisdom, humanity, passion, humor, and effortless precision—a profoundly affecting work of art that is both wonderfully evocative of another era and relevant to our own times. It not only confirms the enduring brilliance of To Kill a Mockingbird, but also serves as its essential companion, adding depth, context, and new meaning to an American classic.
Scout Finch returns home/Atticus is a racist/Scout sees him anew (waitingtoderail)

A wonderful new novel from one of America's bestselling authors. Exploring the tensions between a local culture and a changing national political agenda; family arguments and love: an instant classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:11 -0400)

Twenty years after the trial of Tom Robinson, Scout returns home to Maycomb to visit her father and struggles with personal and political issues as her small Alabama town adjusts to the turbulent events beginning to transform the United States in the mid-1950s.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,570,018 books! | Top bar: Always visible