City of the Beasts (2002)

by Isabel Allende

Series: Journeys of Jaguar and Eagle (1)

When fifteen-year-old Alexander Cold accompanies his individualistic grandmother on an expedition to find a humanoid Beast in the Amazon, he experiences ancient wonders and a supernatural world as he tries to avert disaster for the Indians.

English (44)  Spanish (9)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Bulgarian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Japanese (1)  French (1)  All languages (64)
3.5 stars, started out exciting and adventurous, got a little muddled in the middle, and was kind of obvious at the end, but overall enjoyable. A clean look into a different culture for young readers, nothing really inappropriate or terribly questionable. ( )
  Annrosenzweig | Oct 15, 2021 |
It took me a long time to get through this story, as it does not lend itself well to scattered reading, and we had a family crisis happening when I started it. But everything about the book is excellent and the end is surprising and powerful. It was just too long for my attention span. Reading it was truly taking a journey. It's rare that I am so surprised by events in a novel. This book went places that were unexpected, and unexpectedly rewarding.

This book is really worth reading. It was just too long for me. I plan to read the sequel when I can dedicate more time to reading straight through. ( )
  librarymeanslove | Oct 1, 2020 |
The dialogue is incredibly stilted and unrealistic. I am inclined to blame this on the translation, but regardless of where the fault is, it made the book unreadable for me. I only got about 15 pages in before I gave up on it. ( )
  elenaj | Jul 31, 2020 |
Una aventura mágica

Isabel Allende captura la imaginación con su realismo mágico, haciendo uso de las leyendas, cultura, y realidades de los pueblos indígenas de América para contar una linda novela juvenil sobre los cambios en la vida de los jóvenes modernos. La narrativa es muy entretenida y pintoresca. ( )
  Miguel.Arvelo | Jun 9, 2020 |

Allende, Isabelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Becker, SvenjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Degenaar, RikkieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Liverani, ElenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peden, Margaret SayersTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To Alejandro, Andrea, and Nicole,
who asked me for this story
Alexander Cold awakened at dawn, startled by a nightmare.
Our family is going through a real crisis. In the Chinese language, do you know what the characters for 'crisis' are? 'Danger" plus 'opportunity.' Maybe your mother's illness will offer you an extraordinary opportunity.
...he wasn't certain about the propriety of Christianizing the Indians, who had their own form of spirituality.  They had lived in harmony with nature for thousands of years, like Adam and Eve in Paradise.  Why, Padre Valdomero wondered, was it necessary to teach them the concept of sin?

The book is for young teens and the style of writing reflects this. The story is about a boy whose family life is disrupted when his mother becomes ill, and he is sent to live with his Aunt. His aunt is a no nonsense lady who is about to embark on a trip to the Amazon to keep an eye on govt. relations with the local indians. Behind the scenes the indians are in danger of greedy developers who want them out of the way. This is a real coming of age adventure for this boy, who grows up a lot. He starts as a bit of a spoiled brat but turns out to be a leader. This is a mystical book, full of magic.
It was OK, but I wouldn't rave about it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,250,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible