Ariel (1965)

by Sylvia Plath

The poems in Sylvia Plath's Ariel, including many of her best-known such as 'Lady Lazarus', 'Daddy', 'Edge' and 'Paralytic', were all written between the publication in 1960 of Plath's first book, The Colossus, and her death in 1963. 'If the poems are despairing, vengeful and destructive, they are at the same time tender, open to things, and also unusually clever, sardonic, hardminded . . . They are works of great artistic purity and, despite all the nihilism, great generosity . . . the book is a major literary event.' A. Alvarez in the Observer This beautifully designed edition forms part of a series with five other cherished poets, including Wendy Cope, Don Paterson, Philip Larkin, Simon Armitage and Alice Oswald.… (more)

English (46)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (48)
Edición bilingüe del segundo poemario de Plath, publicado tras su suicidio, en el que la traducción no permite apreciar el maravilloso ritmo de los poemas en su lengua original.
Sylvia Plath es una poeta de un talento excepcional y con una fuerza fuera de toda lógica. ( )
  Orellana_Souto | Jul 27, 2021 |
I've just finished reading this collection of poetry, but it is hard to put into words how I feel about it. I very much enjoyed many of the early poems in this volume for their treatment of feminist themes, mythological feeling, and careful use of language, but I got very bogged down in the middle parts of the collection before ending on a high note with "Words." Considering the context in which Plath wrote this collection (during the 9 months prior to her dealth by suicide, and seemingly at a high point of her marital conflict with Ted Hughes) it is not wonder that much of the language evokes altermnating tones of violence and the drudgery of life. I don't know if I would make the entire collection a recommendation, but some of the poems are surely not to be missed. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
I have been trying to read more poetry of late, but I think this collection is just a bit too unintelligible for me. Sometimes beautiful, but most often they make no sense. I guess I like to know what a poem is about, rather than a just collection of beautiful words and rhythms. ( )
  CharlotteBurt | Feb 1, 2021 |

Lowell, RobertForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walser, AlissaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Young, SarahCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Frieda and Nicholas
Love set you going like a fat gold watch.
O love, O celibate. Nobody but me walks the waist-high wet. The irreplaceable golds bleed and deepen, the mouths of Thermopylae.
This is the 1965 collection of Plath's poems titled Ariel. There is also an individual poem titled Ariel, which is included in the collection. Take care when combining or making work-to-work relationships.

Legacy Library: Sylvia Plath

Sylvia Plath has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Sylvia Plath's legacy profile.

See Sylvia Plath's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,456,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible