Nova (1968)

by Samuel R. Delany

Given that the suns of Draco stretch almost sixteen light years from end to end, it stands to reason that the cost of transportation is the most important factor driving the thirty-second century. And since Illyrion is the element most needed for space travel, Lorq von Ray is plenty willing to fly through the core of a recently imploded sun in order to obtain seven tons of it. The potential for profit is so great that Lorq has little difficulty cobbling together an alluring crew, including a gypsy musician and a moon-obsessed scholar interested in the ancient art of writing a novel. What the crew doesn't know is that Lorq's quest is actually fueled by a private revenge so consuming that he'll stop at nothing to achieve it. In the grandest manner of speculative fiction, Nova is a wise and witty classic that casts a fascinating new light on some of humanity's oldest truths and enduring myths.… (more)

English (31)  Croatian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (33)
My dear friend Jason Huntington (cognomen here on goodreads) recommended I read this. It was the second Delany book he ordered me to read, I never read the first but this one immediately captured me. It's a wonderful book and I highly recommend it. ( )
  wickenden | Mar 8, 2021 |
This was assigned reading, so I didn't approach it quite like I normally would. It's an interesting read for many reasons, and I definitely recommend it. The style is very distinct from what get written nowadays, of course, and very much in the same vein as Zelazny from that period.

The story did not go where I expected it to. It's a very meta book -- and of course it provides no answers to its questions about what we do when we write science fiction novels, or any novels really, whether it is or is not a Grail quest (is there anything else?), and who does the writing. Fascinating stuff. ( )
  RJ_Stevenson | Aug 19, 2020 |
I'm strangely addicted to this novel... ( )
  johnthelibrarian | Aug 11, 2020 |
I can't say I was too keen on this one, seemed overly convoluted and I just couldn't get into it.

At the end of the book I had no positive feeling from the reading experience, it was just meh. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Aug 9, 2020 |
**Nova** by *Samuel Delany* was alright – a beautiful space opera telling the story of a captain and is impromptu crew in a well-thought, well-described future a thousand years from now. I can't really say why it didn't grip me as much as other Delany books, maybe my mood and the book just weren't a fit at the time. ( )
  _rixx_ | May 24, 2020 |

Samuel R. Delanyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fitzgerald, RussellJacket Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, EddieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, AnthonyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Bernard and Iva Kay
"Hey, Mouse! Play us something," one of the mechanics called from the bar.
This is the novel alone, not a novel omnibus.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,006,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible