Well-Read Black Girl: Finding Our Stories,…

Well-Read Black Girl: Finding Our Stories, Discovering Ourselves

by Glory Edim (Editor)

Other authors: Barbara Smith (Contributor), Bsrat Mezghebe (Contributor), Carla Bruce-Eddings (Contributor), Dhonielle Clayton (Contributor), Gabourey Sidibe (Contributor)16 more, Jamia Wilson (Contributor), Jaqueline Woodson (Contributor), Jesmyn Ward (Contributor), Kaitlyn Greenidge (Contributor), Lynn Nottage (Contributor), Mahogany L. Browne (Contributor), Marita Golden (Contributor), Morgan Jerkins (Contributor), N. K. Jemisin (Contributor), Nicole Dennis-Benn (Contributor), Rebecca Walker (Contributor), Renee Watson (Contributor), Stephanie Powell Watts (Contributor), Tayari Jones (Contributor), Veronica Chambers (Contributor), Zinzi Clemmons (Contributor)

9920179,660 (4.41)28

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've been trying to find something more to say than "I love this book" but that pretty much sums it up." The poem "won't you celebrate with me'' by Lucille Clifton followed by the introduction by Glory Edim are more than enough to get the reader (of any color or gender) in the right frame of mind for this anthology. The recommendations are on point and the essays are simply outstanding. I'm hopeful that Ms. Edim will be providing women of color more like this in the future. ( )
  BookDivasReads | Mar 11, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
“Well-Read Black Girl” packs a lot into a relatively small space, and the result is a book that seems deceptively simple at first glance. The text anthologizes 21 essays by and conversations with contemporary black female writers on the books that inspired and continue to inspire them. The contributors range from playwright Lynn Nottage to actress, writer, and director Gabourey Sidibe to young adult author and COO of We Need Diverse Books Dhonielle Clayton, and they books the women describe are as varied as their backgrounds and occupations. While some, such as Toni Morrison’s Beloved and The Bluest Eye, are well-known and perhaps expected, others, including Roald Dahl’s Boy, are surprising. The diversity of contributors and books discussed keeps the text engaging and lively, and it encourages the reader to consider not only the role of books in these women’s lives but also the importance that finding oneself in books holds for all readers, especially those who from diverse backgrounds and cultures. Interspersed with these essays are recommendations for books by and about black women in a variety of genres, including science fiction, poetry, and memoir. This feast of literary discussions and suggestions will leave readers adding to their book lists and pondering what books have shaped their own lives and perceptions. ( )
  sweeks1980 | Mar 3, 2019 |
This is an outstanding collection of essays from successful black women including many black women authors. They reflect on the pain and isolation of growing up and not seeing themselves represented in books, films, television and real life models.

All of them express sheer joy of finding themselves in a variety of black writers and characters – whether it was a children's book with a black girl pretending to be a witch, or one of the very small but growing canon of well known and lesser known black authors.

I loved each and every essay. I'm neither black nor a girl, and yet my eyes are reopened to the importance of seeing oneself and one's experience in what you read.

The lists of books in this book will add immensely to my reading in the years to come.

A well-deserved 5 star read. ( )
  streamsong | Feb 13, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
At first, I was surprised. This is not the style I was expecting. This book has a blog style with famous/successful black women talking about their challenges with racism and self doubt while giving hints on good books that help them in their process. I got great book names to read next. But most importantly, I realized racism and suffering of black people will not be easy to get over. It is embedded in their DNA and settled deeper in the years and years of being treated differently and watching/reading material that they do not belong to... these women are definitely on the right track to talk about their experiences and hopefully all black teens and children will read this book. Hopefully white people too- at least to see the damage that has been done. ( )
  soontobefree | Feb 6, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a gorgeous book, inside and out. The group of contributors is truly amazing (NK Jemisin, Jesmyn Ward, Tayari Jones, Morgan Jerkins...I could go on and on...), and I loved every essay. Can’t recommend it highly enough. ( )
  ChristineCrofts | Feb 1, 2019 |

Tayari JonesContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Veronica ChambersContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zinzi ClemmonsContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Glory Edim's book Well-Read Black Girl is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,459,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible