dismiss

Well-Read Black Girl: Finding Our Stories,…

Well-Read Black Girl: Finding Our Stories, Discovering Ourselves

by Glory Edim (Editor)

Other authors: Barbara Smith (Contributor), Bsrat Mezghebe (Contributor), Carla Bruce-Eddings (Contributor), Dhonielle Clayton (Contributor), Gabourey Sidibe (Contributor)16 more, Jamia Wilson (Contributor), Jaqueline Woodson (Contributor), Jesmyn Ward (Contributor), Kaitlyn Greenidge (Contributor), Lynn Nottage (Contributor), Mahogany L. Browne (Contributor), Marita Golden (Contributor), Morgan Jerkins (Contributor), N. K. Jemisin (Contributor), Nicole Dennis-Benn (Contributor), Rebecca Walker (Contributor), Renee Watson (Contributor), Stephanie Powell Watts (Contributor), Tayari Jones (Contributor), Veronica Chambers (Contributor), Zinzi Clemmons (Contributor)

"An inspiring collection of essays by black women writers, curated by the founder of the popular book club Well-Read Black Girl, on the importance of recognizing ourselves in literature. Remember that moment when you first encountered a character who seemed to be written just for you? That feeling of belonging remains with readers the rest of their lives--but not everyone regularly sees themselves on the pages of a book. In this timely anthology, Glory Edim brings together original essays by some of our best black women writers to shine a light on how important it is that we all--regardless of gender, race, religion, or ability--have the opportunity to find ourselves in literature. Contributors include Jesmyn Ward (Sing, Unburied, Sing), Lynn Nottage (Sweat), Jacqueline Woodson (Another Brooklyn), Gabourey Sidibe (This Is Just My Face), Morgan Jerkins (This Will Be My Undoing), Tayari Jones (An American Marriage), Rebecca Walker (Black, White and Jewish), and Barbara Smith (Home Girls: A Black Feminist Anthology). Whether it's learning about the complexities of femalehood from Zora Neale Hurston and Toni Morrison, finding a new type of love in The Color Purple, or using mythology to craft an alternative black future, the subjects of each essay remind us why we turn to books in times of both struggle and relaxation. As she has done with her book club-turned-online community Well-Read Black Girl, in this anthology Glory Edim has created a space in which black women's writing and knowledge and life experiences are lifted up, to be shared with all readers who value the power of a story to help us understand the world and ourselves"--… (more)

Well-Read Black Girl is an inspirational collection of essays by black women writers about the books that have meant the most to them. An anthology for all, not just black girls. ( )
  akblanchard | Apr 6, 2020 |
I received a copy of Well Read Black Girl from NetGalley in exchange for a honest review. I have since purchased a copy. Glory Edim’s essay anthology, Well Read Black Girl, is guaranteed to be on my top favorites of 2019. Authors, playwrights, poets, artists, actors speak about when they first saw themselves represented as black women in books and how that went on to impact their lives. This essay anthology left me with a list of new texts to discover and with many wise words from familiar favorites. Most of all these essays remind me that the publishing industry needs to continue to do better and publish black women with the same vigor and breadth of genre as white folks. ( )
  baskinginbooks | Nov 3, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book through the LibraryThing Early Reviewer program. It's a wonderful collection of essays by Black women sharing the books that inspired them in their lives. A great read to use to be inspired yourself and expand your knowledge of books written by women of color.The hard cover edition is gorgeous, as well. A beautiful book inside and out. ( )
  MFenn | Jul 23, 2019 |
This is an excellent collection of short essays by black American women, each discussing the first time they saw themselves in fiction. In addition to the experience of reading the essays themselves for the insight they provide, the collection as a whole is an indispensable set of recommendations for further reading, both within the essays and in the lists of books by black women included throughout. Recommended. ( )
  lycomayflower | Apr 27, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This tiny book holds some big stories. Well-Read Black Girl is a compilation of stories gathered by Glory Edim founder of the Well-Read Black Girl book club. As a child, I learned about life from books, some of those covered in this powerful anthology. Even though I enjoyed all the life stories of each author I go back to the first story, Magic Mirrors by Jesmyn Ward. Her account of trying to see herself in the books she read can connect with any reader of any race or creed. Each story is relatable, diverse and variable genre rich. Reading Memoir always connects with me and these stories read like a personal memoir with each female writer even though it can be written in, as I said before variable genres. I was happy to read this during February while celebrating Black History month. Apropos and fulfilling as an appreciative reader of different cultures and views. Ms. Edim complied winning essays. I thank her for that.

Thank you to LibraryThing for the opportunity to read Well-Read Black Girl by Glory Edim in lieu of my honest review. ( )
  SandraBrower | Mar 25, 2019 |

Tayari JonesContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Veronica ChambersContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zinzi ClemmonsContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Glory Edim's book Well-Read Black Girl is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,708,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible