Silas Marner (1861)

by George Eliot

In this heartwarming classic, a gentle linen weaver named Silas Marner is wrongly accused of theft actually committed by his best friend. Silas exiles himself to a rustic village, where he finds spiritual rebirth through his unselfish love of an abandoned child. Includes a new Afterword. Revised reissue.… (more)
    Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both great classics, with orphaned girls and themes of redemption.
    The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey (suniru)
    suniru: Both stories center around ophans and have heavy fairy tale roots.
    The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (kxlly)
    The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: The Storied Life of AJ Frikry is based off of Silas Marner.
    The Lamplighter by Maria S. Cummins (KayCliff)
    Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton (kxlly)

English (124)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (129)
My first experience with George Elliot, which I thoroughly enjoyed! Her characters are clearly drawn, though the many different side characters are confusing sometimes, and the themes of family touched on are beautifully done. A worthwhile classic read. ( )
  askannakarenina | Sep 16, 2020 |
At first, I thought this was slow and a bit boring but as I kept reading, I grew to like Silas more, loved Eppie, and by the end, I thought it was such a sweet story. I was reading 2 other classic books when I started reading this and after a while, this was the one I wanted to read last because I wanted to end with the best. While Silas was the main character, he shared space with many others and they were as interesting by the end as well. This was my first George Eliot book and it won't be my last. ( )
  twinkley | Jul 23, 2020 |
I was 1/3 of the way through the book where the Cass brothers were having their discussion when I realized "I have read this book before." That actually made the book more enjoyable because I knew what to look forward to. And of course, there were parts that I didn't remember.

Delightful. ( )
  bread2u | Jul 1, 2020 |
So much of the middle is adjacent to the main character's story that I started to wonder why this was called "Silas Marner" and not "The Cass Family". And the latter's story was quite tedious. It doesn't help that the writing while well-done in one sense is way overwritten. I recall several pages where each was composed of an unbroken block of text. And, for a book almost as short as a novella, it felt at least three times its length. I liked Silas's arc, though, even if it was overshadowed. ( )
  peterbmacd | May 17, 2020 |
A very nice story, and Eliot has some of her usual deep insights in to human nature, but it is nowhere near the level of Middlemarch. ( )
  Kelmanel | Apr 17, 2020 |

Is contained in

Contains

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

"A child, more than all other gifts
That earth can offer to declining man,
Brings hope with it, and forward-looking thoughts,"

~ Wordsworth
In the days when the spinning wheels hummed busily in the farmhouses—and even great ladies, clothed in silk and thread lace, had their toy spinning wheels of polished oak—there might be seen in districts far away among the lanes, or deep in the bosom of the hills, certain pallid undersized men, who, by the side of the brawny country-folk, looked like the remnants of a disinherited race.
Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.
In old days there were angels who came and took men by the hand and led them away from the city of destruction.  We see no white-winged angels now.  But yet men are led away from threatening destruction: a hand is put into theirs, which leads them forth gently towards a calm and bright land, so that they look no more backward; and the hand may be a little child's.
There were old labourers in the parish of Raveloe who were known to have their savings by them, probably inside their flock-beds.
Perfect love has a breath of poetry which can exalt the relations of the least instructed human beings.
Instead of trying to still his fears, he encouraged them, with that superstitious impression which clings to us all, that if we expect evil very strongly it is the less likely to come;...

A bitter old man,
An infant who warms his heart,
More precious than gold.
(hillaryrose7)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439750, 0141389451

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,619,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible