Silas Marner (1861)

by George Eliot

In this heartwarming classic, a gentle linen weaver named Silas Marner is wrongly accused of theft actually committed by his best friend. Silas exiles himself to a rustic village, where he finds spiritual rebirth through his unselfish love of an abandoned child. Includes a new Afterword. Revised reissue.… (more)
    Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both great classics, with orphaned girls and themes of redemption.
    The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey (suniru)
    suniru: Both stories center around ophans and have heavy fairy tale roots.
    The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (kxlly)
    The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: The Storied Life of AJ Frikry is based off of Silas Marner.
    The Lamplighter by Maria S. Cummins (KayCliff)
    Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton (kxlly)

English (139)  Catalan (3)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (147)
George Eliot does it again for me at least. Having read three of her novels now, I feel like she masters the art of a novel. I wouldn't say this was my favorite of hers, but I liked it a lot and Silas Marner was a great character. If you want to start reading Eliot I suggest you start with this book first (although I started with Middlemarch). This is her shortest novel just under 200 pages while her other novels run over 500 pages. I also like the fact this a story written by a woman about an older man when woman didn't write about male characters at her time. If you are looking for a well written heart warming story for a quick read I recommend this book (it does have it's depressing parts, but the ending makes up for that). ( )
1 vote Ghost_Boy | Aug 25, 2022 |
This book reads like the way I tell stories -- rambling and complicated and full of possibly too much information. I find that comforting. ( )
  J.Flux | Aug 13, 2022 |
Felt I should read Middlemarch but the 800 pages intimidated me, so picked up this instead. It is sometimes dense, insofar as the writing is layered and the reading is slow. That said, the writing is delightful---wry, vivid picture of village life, characters with believable uniqueness, and a deft hand with dialect and idiom. This edition has a glossary which is useful for some of the archaic terms, particularly regarding agriculture.
The plot---man ostracized and forced into a sort of exile is further victimized. His despair is washed away by the arrival of a new ward. After such a dark beginning, things are sunny in the end. That's a bit sentimental, but the plot is not the important thing. Its the writing and the characters that make the book worth a read. ( )
1 vote brianstagner | Aug 1, 2022 |
George Elliot is one of those authors who, given my general taste, I ought to have read, but I never got around to it. The downside, is that I am just now realizing what I have been missing for years. The upside, is now I have a new author I enjoy whose works all have free Kindle downloads! =)

Silas Marner is the tale of a weaver who learns to love through a series of events set off by the interrelated actions of the members of his small community. The story is simple, at least on the surface, but the characters have a depth that makes you feel like you know them. Overall, a good read. ( )
  eri_kars | Jul 10, 2022 |
A nice little story with a simple plot and a sweet transformation. Paints the characters and the village beautifully. ( )
  HellCold | May 3, 2022 |

Is contained in

Contains

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

"A child, more than all other gifts
That earth can offer to declining man,
Brings hope with it, and forward-looking thoughts,"

~ Wordsworth
In the days when the spinning wheels hummed busily in the farmhouses—and even great ladies, clothed in silk and thread lace, had their toy spinning wheels of polished oak—there might be seen in districts far away among the lanes, or deep in the bosom of the hills, certain pallid undersized men, who, by the side of the brawny country-folk, looked like the remnants of a disinherited race.
Nothing is so good as it seems beforehand.
In old days there were angels who came and took men by the hand and led them away from the city of destruction.  We see no white-winged angels now.  But yet men are led away from threatening destruction: a hand is put into theirs, which leads them forth gently towards a calm and bright land, so that they look no more backward; and the hand may be a little child's.
There were old labourers in the parish of Raveloe who were known to have their savings by them, probably inside their flock-beds.
Perfect love has a breath of poetry which can exalt the relations of the least instructed human beings.
Instead of trying to still his fears, he encouraged them, with that superstitious impression which clings to us all, that if we expect evil very strongly it is the less likely to come;...

A bitter old man,
An infant who warms his heart,
More precious than gold.
(hillaryrose7)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439750, 0141389451

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,767,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible