A Search for the King by Gore Vidal

A Search for the King (1950)

by Gore Vidal

Kidnapped and held to ransom by Duke Leopold of Austria after the Third Crusade, Richard the Lion Heart, it is said, was found by his faithful troubadour Blondel de Neel. But how? And what trials did the faithful and long-suffering lyricist have to overcome to find his king? Gore Vidal paints a broad, colourful and poignant picture of a man searching for his master; for the symbolic king who is the goal of man's eternal quest; for the spiritual centre of his life.… (more)
    The Lute Player by Norah Lofts (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two historical novels about the search for Richard Lionheart after his capture in Germany

English (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (3)
Some years ago, I read and enjoyed Gore Vidal’s Julian, which tells the story of the young pagan who becomes Emperor in a post-Constantine, Christian world. Since then, I’ve been keen to try more of his historical fiction and this book was the first to come into my hands. I had high hopes for it, as I’ve always been fascinated by Richard the Lionheart – probably due to my childhood fondness for Robin Hood stories: Richard’s own record as an indifferent King of England certainly doesn’t do him any favours. Vidal focuses on a particular episode from Richard’s life: the King’s famous capture in Austria on his return from the Crusades, and the faithful (and probably fictional) quest of Richard’s troubadour Blondel, who sets out to find his master’s prison, armed only with his viol, his voice and a good deal of faith...

For the rest of the review, please see my blog:
https://theidlewoman.net/2017/12/11/a-search-for-the-king-gore-vidal/ ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Dec 16, 2017 |
Not historically accurate, but a fine adventure story following Blondel's (Richard the Lionheart's troubadour) search for his captured King after the Crusades. The book is full of courtly love, troubadours, castles, touches of fantasy, male companionship and a battle at the end. It completely ignores the question of Richard's sexuality, surprising considering Vidal is gay. I enjoyed this more than some of Vidal's tomes of historical fiction. ( )
  aulsmith | Nov 22, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,754,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible