SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

How to Be an Antiracist

by Ibram X. KENDI

**NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER** 'Could hardly be more relevant... it feels like a light switch being flicked on' OWEN JONES Not being racist is not enough. We have to be antiracist. In this rousing and deeply empathetic book, Ibram X. Kendi, founding director of the Antiracism Research and Policy Center, shows that when it comes to racism, neutrality is not an option- until we become part of the solution, we can only be part of the problem. Using his extraordinary gifts as a teacher and story-teller, Kendi helps us recognise that everyone is, at times, complicit in racism whether they realise it or not, and by describing with moving humility his own journey from racism to antiracism, he shows us how instead to be a force for good. Along the way, Kendi punctures all the myths and taboos that so often cloud our understanding, from arguments about what race is and whether racial differences exist to the complications that arise when race intersects with ethnicity, class, gender and sexuality. In the process he demolishes the myth of the post-racial society and builds from the ground up a vital new understanding of racism - what it is, where it is hidden, how to identify it and what to do about it.… (more)
    The Wake Up: Closing the Gap Between Good Intentions and Real Change by Michelle MiJung Kim (pammab)
    pammab: If you left Kendi wanting more about "what can/should I actually do", Kim addresses exactly that urge in her book, which is essentially a corporate DEI training on steroids.
    The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune (thenothing)

A tough, sometimes grating read, but useful perspectives ( )
  dualmon | Nov 17, 2021 |
Amazing, sobering, and eye opening. Everyone should read this. ( )
  nosborm | Oct 10, 2021 |
I've been thinking about the ending metaphor since I finished the book.

It was interesting to compare this with Jonathan Sack's recent work, particularly his chapters regarding antisemitism, capitalism, and communism. They both point at some similar evils.
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
The value of [b:How to Be an Antiracist|40265832|How to Be an Antiracist|Ibram X. Kendi|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1560163756l/40265832._SY75_.jpg|62549152] is not in its selection of a specific audience - beginner or advanced - but in the way that the author grounds his own journey towards antiracism in a discussion of the wide variety of ways in which racism presents itself. It's not as extraordinary of a work as [b:Stamped from the Beginning|25898216|Stamped from the Beginning The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America|Ibram X. Kendi|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1440457523l/25898216._SY75_.jpg|45781103], but it will provide insight and clarification no matter where you find yourself on your journey towards antiracism. I could not recommend this boom more. ( )
  eshaundo | Sep 13, 2021 |
I highly recommend this book by Ibram X. Kendi. The book is remarkably timely and full of good research, analysis, and advice—with a unique and important take on how to combat racism in our society. It’s equal parts scholarly research and personal narrative. While the author’s style takes a little getting used to, it is an effective way to make his case and he arrives at a compelling conclusion, along with a positive call to make things better in our society.

Kendi argues that rather than being used as a perjorative term, we should use the term “racist” as a descriptive term. And that we should use the term “anti racist” to describe the policies and other efforts to eradicate racism and it’s effects on our society. Kendi also touches on feminism, LGBTQ rights, and the inter-related issues of poverty, discrimination, education, as well as the cancer of racism etc. that plagues our society.

As he states, “The heartbeat of racism is denial, the heartbeat of antiracism is confession.” The book causes me to become more introspective about and aware of my own views, biases, and prejudices, and to commit more fully to overcoming the effects of racism in our society. This book is a must-read for anyone who wants to engage in that process. ( )
  bentleymitchell | Aug 27, 2021 |

KENDI, Ibram X.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Metsch, Jo AnneDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mogford, DanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GregCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Survival
I despised suits and ties.
Racism is a marriage of racist policies and racist ideas that produces and normalizes racial inequities.
Incorrect conceptions of race as a social construct (as opposed to a power construct), of racial history as a singular march of racial progress (as opposed to a duel of antiracist and racist progress), of the race problem as rooted in ignorance and hate (as opposed to powerful self-interest) -- all come together to produce solutions bound to fail.
The source of racist ideas was not ignorance and hate, but self-interest.
To love capitalism is to end up loving racism.
Powerful economic, political, and cultural self-interest...has been behind racist policies.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,344,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible