The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E.…

The Ten Thousand Doors of January

by Alix E. Harrow

2091686,539 (4.28)13
In the early 1900s, a young woman embarks on a fantastical journey of self-discovery after finding a mysterious book in this captivating and lyrical debut. In a sprawling mansion filled with peculiar treasures, January Scaller is a curiosity herself. As the ward of the wealthy Mr. Locke, she feels little different from the artifacts that decorate the halls: carefully maintained, largely ignored, and utterly out of place. Then she finds a strange book. A book that carries the scent of other worlds, and tells a tale of secret doors, of love, adventure and danger. Each page turn reveals impossible truths about the world and January discovers a story increasingly entwined with her own. Lush and richly imagined, a tale of impossible journeys, unforgettable love, and the enduring power of stories awaits in Alix E. Harrow's spellbinding debut--step inside and discover its magic. Early praise for The Ten Thousand Doors of January: "Many worlds, vanishing doors, mind-cracking magic: I clung to each page, searching for answers. This is one of the most unique works of fiction I've ever read!" --Tamora Pierce, New York Times bestselling author "A gorgeous, aching love letter to stories, storytellers and the doors they lead us through...absolutely enchanting." -- Christina Henry, national bestselling author of Lost Boys and Alice "With lush writing and a sense of wonder, The Ten Thousand Doors of January examines power, progress, and identity. It is an adventure in the best and grandest sense." --Erika Swyler, national bestselling author of The Book of Speculation… (more)

This book starts really well then, to me, it becomes a reworking of the Time Travellers Wife. It simply doesn't sustain my interest so, reluctantly, I cannot add a new author to my list. ( )
  the.ken.petersen | Oct 16, 2019 |
I laughed. I cried. I rejoiced. I grieved. I went through Doors with my heart on my sleeve. ( )
  Archakr | Oct 6, 2019 |
January Scaller was seven years old when she found a door, a blue door, but it was to take her time to realize that when doors open, things flow between the worlds and stories happen (my spin on the author’s words).

It is the earliest part of the twentieth century. January is a “willful, temerarious” young girl. She is also an oddity, an item in her guardian’s collection . Something is off about the whole arrangement between January and her guardian and her surroundings, Locke House, Vermont. Clues are parceled out but it takes a long time for things to jell. There is a strong undercurrent of maintaining the status quo by whatever means are necessary. There is an equal force of discovery and allowing whatever may come next. There is profound intolerance and racism.

Open the door, step through, don’t get caught in the Threshold, they are dangerous places, “you can’t hesitate or doubt. You can’t fear the in-between” because it can lead you to a white city by the sea where all the questions are answered or no answers are to be found. But “There was no room .... for little girls who wandered off the edge of the map and told the truth about the mad, impossible things they found there.”

This is a breathtaking book about the strength to look through the cracks in the world, and the ability to embrace the magic

Thank you NetGalley and Redhook books for a copy. ( )
  kimkimkim | Sep 22, 2019 |
I started it yesterday morning, I finished it yesterday at eleven pm, it's three hundred and eighty-four (384!) pages long. Need I say more?

I need to get it back to the library, the wait list is growing. ( )
  seeword | Sep 22, 2019 |
I freely admit that fantasy isn't really a genre that I am often drawn towards but The Ten Thousand Doors of January caught my eye for two reasons: one is it has a stunning cover and the second is that I was intrigued by the idea of what was behind those doors, popping in and out of other worlds.

The January of the title is January Scaller and we follow her from childhood through to almost adulthood. Whilst her father is off scouring the globe for treasures for Mr Locke, January is looked after at Locke House. I say looked after but she was paraded when it suited Mr Locke and the rest of the time hidden away. Not much fun for a child.

However, she finds a variety of items that give her some comfort, one of which is a book entitled The Ten Thousand Doors. That, along with discovering her first door, leads to many further discoveries which completely change January's existence.

I really liked how January was so feisty, fighting back against every shackle that was holding her back. She is gifted a dog, (Sind)Bad, and what a lovely friendship they have. In fact, all the characters are well-portrayed in this book and are such interesting creations.

I think I was expecting January to find doors, go through them, have an adventure and return home, something relatively lighthearted and fun. Instead this is a darker, more emotional story of family, friendship and hopefully the triumph of good. Along with January we read a story within the main story and in that way we discover so much about her past at the same time she does.

The Ten Thousand Doors of January is a book for fantasy lovers, for those who like to immerse themselves in different worlds, but ones which are not so very distant from our own. I enjoyed some parts more than others but I think it was a well-written and inventive story. ( )
  nicx27 | Sep 21, 2019 |
Harrow’s novel will hold strong appeal to readers who enjoy portal fantasies featuring adventuresome women.
added by 2wonderY | editPublishers Weekly (Apr 16, 2019)

When I was seven, I found a door. I suspect I should capitalize that word, so you understand I’m not talking about your garden or common variety door that leads reliably to a white-tiled kitchen or a bedroom closet.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,945,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible