The Blood of Flowers by Anita Amirrezvani

The Blood of Flowers (2007)

by Anita Amirrezvani

1,355None5,659 (3.96)148
17th century (44) 2007 (6) 2008 (7) audiobook (7) book club (6) carpet making (8) carpets (17) coming of age (12) ebook (8) fiction (159) historical (37) historical fiction (123) history (8) Iran (150) library (6) marriage (22) Middle East (32) novel (15) own (12) Persia (89) read (24) read in 2008 (8) Roman (11) rug making (8) rugs (11) to-read (42) unread (13) weaving (7) wishlist (10) women (36)
    The Red Tent by Anita Diamant (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another beautifully written historical fiction with a focus around mother daughter relationships.
    The House of the Mosque by Kader Abdolah (sanddancer)
    Anahita's Woven Riddle by Meghan Nuttall Sayres (infiniteletters)

English (62)  Dutch (3)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (69)
Powerful and sad, but soooo good! I kept wishing for the heroine to find happiness. ( )
  CarriePalmer | Feb 28, 2014 |
Here's an old review I wrote 2 years ago on this novel...

"رواية جامدة...الكاتبة امريكية ايرانية و الكتاب اح​17 ...الكتاب بيحكى عن بنت تسيب القرية مع امها بعد وف​اة والدها و يروحوا يعيشوا عند عمها اللى بيعمل سجاج​

ممتع لاخر درجة...و درجات الرمادى موجودة فى الشخصيا​ت...مش ابيض و اسود...مخلية الشخصيات حقيقية اوى...​

احلى حاجة تطور الاحداث و ازاى البنت بتبنى نفسها بن​

الرواية غنية باحداث و مشاعر...انا فاكرة من كتر ما ​انا مندمجة فيها...فى البريك سبت اصحابى و قعدت اقرا​ فيها لانى مش قادرة استنى لحد ما اكملها فى البيت..​

I remember how impressed I was w/ the journey of the girl, how independent she became and was able to eventually achieve wat she wants, it was a rough journey, very tough one, but she made it, and not w/ the help of some1 who loves her unconditionally blah blah like in American stupid romantic movies we love, it's bec. she believed in herself, how she did this and how she developed to become like this is a wonderful reading journey...

Enjoyed it to the max...a masterpiece, A MUST read :) ( )
  Samar.Abd-Allah | Feb 27, 2014 |
A beautiful book that explained a lot about Middle Eastern culture to me. ( )
  lisan. | Oct 4, 2013 |
The combination of great historical fiction and excellent narration make this book a sure fire hit. Although I listened to this book many months ago, I can still hear the narrator's voice. Powerful story - perfect for a bookclub or even a mother/daughter (high school and older) read. ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |
recommended for: everyone who enjoys novels, historical fiction novels

I will never again look at Persian/Iranian carpets in the same way. This book makes me want to view many examples of such carpets so that I can now fully appreciate their artistry.

This is a finely crafted first novel and I really hope that this author writes more novels. I love her writing style and storytelling.

I was completely immersed in the story, characters, and the time & place of this book. I loved the stories within the story, the depiction of a particular woman’s life and a look into the various life experiences of all the characters.

My only minor complaint is that possibly too much happened right at the end of the book; it took a long time to get there. I enjoyed the journey but it seemed a bit packed toward the end and, even though I understand the reasoning of leaving the end partially up to the readers’ imaginations, I would have loved to know more about what happened next and far into the future for that matter.

So, this is the book that finally (perhaps) will break me of my habit of reading every single word on the cover and in the inside flaps and any reviews included. (We’ll see.) As usual, I read all the text mentioned before I read the book. I therefore then kept waiting for certain things to happen rather than just enjoying the story as it unfolded and being able to be completely surprised as events occurred. (Even though I haven’t yet followed my own advice, I’d suggest reading the novel first and then, if interested, reading the text not written by the author.)

However, even though I read a hardcover edition which often doesn’t include such extras, I thought the book was greatly enhanced by the included author’s notes at the end of the book. I would have enjoyed the novel as much without them but the information was very interesting and, along with the novel, piqued my interest in seventeenth century Iranian history, especially as it pertains to women. ( )
1 vote Lisa2013 | Apr 12, 2013 |
"Anita Amirrezvani's first novel is about the costs and consolations of beauty, and is itself so picturesque that it often seems a striking variation on its own theme."

For my family-
Iranian, Lithuanian and American
In the spring of the year that I was supposed to be married, a comet launched itself over the skies of my village.

In 17th-century Persia, a 14-year-old woman believes she will be married within the year. But when her beloved father dies, she and her mother find themselves alone and without a dowry. With nowhere else to go, they are forced to sell the brilliant turquoise rug the young woman has woven to pay for their journey to Isfahan, where they will work as servants for her uncle, a rich rug designer in the court of the legendary Shah Abbas the Great.
Despite her lowly station, the young woman blossoms as a brilliant designer of carpets, a rarity in a craft dominated by men. But while her talent flourishes, her prospects for a happy marriage grow dim. Forced into a secret marriage to
a wealthy man, the young woman finds herself faced with a daunting decision: forsake her own dignity, or risk everything she has in an effort to create a new life.

"Anita Amirrezvani has written a sensuous and transporting first novel filled with the colors, tastes and fragrances of life in seventeenth-century Isfahan...Amirrezvani clearly knows and loves the ways of old Iran, and brings them to life with the cadences of a skilled story-spinner." -- Geraldine Brooks, author of March

"An engrossing, enthralling tale of a girl's quest for self-determination in the fascinating other world that was seventeenth-century Iran." -- Emma Donoghue, author of Touchy Subjects and Life Mask

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:49 -0400)

"In Persia, in the seventeenth century, a young woman is forced to leave behind the life she knows and move to a new city. Her father's unexpected death has upended everything - her expectation of marriage, her plans for the future - and cast her and her mother upon the mercy of relatives in the fabled city of Isfahan." "Her uncle is a wealthy designer of carpets for the Shah's court, and the young woman is instantly drawn to his workshop. She takes in everything - the dyes, the yarns, the meanings of the thousand ancient patterns - and quickly begins designing carpets herself. This is men's work, but her uncle recognizes both her passion and her talent and allows her secretly to cross that line." "But then a single disastrous, headstrong act threatens her very existence and casts her and her mother into an even more desperate situation. She is forced into an untenable form of marriage, a marriage contract renewable monthly, for a fee, to a wealthy businessman. Caught between forces she can barely comprehend, she knows only that she must act on her own, risking everything, or face a life lived at the whim of others."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,439,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible