The Blood of Flowers by Anita Amirrezvani

The Blood of Flowers (2007)

by Anita Amirrezvani

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another beautifully written historical fiction with a focus around mother daughter relationships.
    The House of the Mosque by Kader Abdolah (sanddancer)
    Anahita's Woven Riddle by Meghan Nuttall Sayres (infiniteletters)

English (67)  Dutch (3)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (74)
a really fantastic book ( )
  fross | Jan 8, 2015 |
This novel is filled with colors and images of life in 17th century Iran. It follows one girl and her mother who leave their rural villae upon the death of their beloved father and husband. This novel details what life is like in Iran for an unmarried woman at the mercy of family. Her family is not all bad and we really root for our narrator as she negotiates a friendship, learns to design rugs and deals with a "sigheh" with a man who will not marry her. She rises from poverty where she was begging on the streets by designing and creating her own beautiful rugs. It is a spell binding tale and would have gotten a higher rating but I did not like the abrupt ending., ( )
  Smits | Nov 25, 2014 |
it does not feel like a 17th century novel but rather a contemporary story. sadly, things have hardly changed in certain countries. compelling story and wonderful to read about emazipitation in a time and place you dont expect it. ( )
  kakadoo202 | Jul 26, 2014 |
One of my favourite old-style books. About something I have no idea about and thought I may find boring, but strangely I didn't. Rug making is not exactly an easy thing to make interesting when describing the process in a book. Not only that, it is also a very erotic story. That just goes to show how wonderful this writer is.
The story of duty, love, yearning for someone or something you cannot have and doing what you don't like because it's necessary for your survival, is powerful. This book is a very moving and fascinating story.
I read this a few years ago and had to give the book back to a friend. I forgot the name and now I've found it, I'm going to get it and read it again. ( )
  IceMaiden786 | May 31, 2014 |
Very good historical fiction set in 17th century Iran, about a young girl's journey to become a carpet maker. Thanks to Phyllis and Diane D for recommending this book to me!
  librarymary09 | May 24, 2014 |
"Anita Amirrezvani's first novel is about the costs and consolations of beauty, and is itself so picturesque that it often seems a striking variation on its own theme."

For my family-
Iranian, Lithuanian and American
In the spring of the year that I was supposed to be married, a comet launched itself over the skies of my village.

In 17th-century Persia, a 14-year-old woman believes she will be married within the year. But when her beloved father dies, she and her mother find themselves alone and without a dowry. With nowhere else to go, they are forced to sell the brilliant turquoise rug the young woman has woven to pay for their journey to Isfahan, where they will work as servants for her uncle, a rich rug designer in the court of the legendary Shah Abbas the Great.
Despite her lowly station, the young woman blossoms as a brilliant designer of carpets, a rarity in a craft dominated by men. But while her talent flourishes, her prospects for a happy marriage grow dim. Forced into a secret marriage to
a wealthy man, the young woman finds herself faced with a daunting decision: forsake her own dignity, or risk everything she has in an effort to create a new life.

"Anita Amirrezvani has written a sensuous and transporting first novel filled with the colors, tastes and fragrances of life in seventeenth-century Isfahan...Amirrezvani clearly knows and loves the ways of old Iran, and brings them to life with the cadences of a skilled story-spinner." -- Geraldine Brooks, author of March

"An engrossing, enthralling tale of a girl's quest for self-determination in the fascinating other world that was seventeenth-century Iran." -- Emma Donoghue, author of Touchy Subjects and Life Mask

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:49 -0400)

"In Persia, in the seventeenth century, a young woman is forced to leave behind the life she knows and move to a new city. Her father's unexpected death has upended everything - her expectation of marriage, her plans for the future - and cast her and her mother upon the mercy of relatives in the fabled city of Isfahan." "Her uncle is a wealthy designer of carpets for the Shah's court, and the young woman is instantly drawn to his workshop. She takes in everything - the dyes, the yarns, the meanings of the thousand ancient patterns - and quickly begins designing carpets herself. This is men's work, but her uncle recognizes both her passion and her talent and allows her secretly to cross that line." "But then a single disastrous, headstrong act threatens her very existence and casts her and her mother into an even more desperate situation. She is forced into an untenable form of marriage, a marriage contract renewable monthly, for a fee, to a wealthy businessman. Caught between forces she can barely comprehend, she knows only that she must act on her own, risking everything, or face a life lived at the whim of others."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,159,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible