True History of the Kelly Gang (2000)

by Peter Carey

This story is the song of Australia, and it sings its protest in a voice at once crude and delicate, menacing and heart-wrenching. The author gives us Ned Kelly as orphan, as Oedipus, as horse thief, farmer, bushranger, reformer, bank-robber, police-killer and as his country's Robin Hood.

English (69)  Danish (1)  All languages (70)
I had a really hard time connecting to any of the character (including Ned the main character). I never would have read this book if it weren't required reading for a class. Unless you wanted to find out more about the famous outlaw New Kelly from Australia I wouldn't suggest this novel. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey Written in the vernacular in a style that makes for compulsive reading.

This was one of those books whose every page was mouthwateringly well written. A superb work that reminded me that really good books are few and far between. This was my second reading too, I read it originally when it first came out a few years ago now. Dipping into it for the second time it was still as fresh as if I hadn't read it at all.Can't say enough good things. If your house was on fire grab your wallet so you can buy a book to read while you are living under the bridge. ( )
  Ken-Me-Old-Mate | Sep 24, 2020 |
I suppose writing in a semiliterate style with Irish accents is some accomplishment, and the depiction of poverty and hardship in frontier Australia is vivid, but the colloquial writing style, the lack of punctuation, and repetitive encounters with danger and abuse get adjectival tiresome quickly. The picaresque novel is just not my thing I guess. Had to stop a third of the way through. 2/5 ( )
  Misprint | Aug 31, 2020 |
I liked this novel much more than the only other Carey book I have read - Oscar and Lucinda. But something kept me from really loving it; I don't know if it was the style of the writing (which I admired for what appeared to me to be its fidelity to what writing Ned Kelly might actually have been like but found wearisome after a while) or what. ( )
  leslie.98 | Aug 13, 2020 |
a beautiful book, and, it seems, historically accurate. Written in a fucked up language reminiscent of Riddley Walker, an overall excellent reading experience. And I'm not even Australian. ( )
  GirlMeetsTractor | Mar 22, 2020 |
added by lucyknows | editscis (pay site)

Peter Careyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hériz, Enrique deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

The past is not dead. It is not even past.

-- William Faulkner
for Alison Summers
By dawn at least half the members of the Kelly gang were badly wounded and it was then the creature appeared from behind police lines.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,738,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible