The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

The Year of Magical Thinking (2005)

by Joan Didion

7,071199510 (3.82)252
    A Widow's Story: A Memoir by Joyce Carol Oates (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both are autobiographical accounts of the writer's first year of widowhood.
    Logboek van een onbarmhartig jaar by Connie Palmen (JuliaMaria)
    Nocturne: On The Life And Death Of My Brother by Helen Humphreys (unlucky)
    When We Were the Kennedys: A Memoir from Mexico, Maine by Monica Wood (DetailMuse)
    DetailMuse: Both are beautiful explorations of magical thinking during grief -- Didion's in reaction to the death of her husband in older age; Wood's in reaction to the death of her father in childhood.
    Love Is a Mix Tape: Life and Loss, One Song at a Time by Rob Sheffield (sanddancer)
    The Long Goodbye: A memoir by Meghan O'Rourke (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Although these books certainly have differences, both are beautifully written, and both are about a year of grieving, each in their own way.

English (193)  Norwegian (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All (197)
What a good book this is - Didion's writing is like music in the way that she plays on certain motifs. These motifs appear as phrases, some from her own thoughts, some from published work, some from memories. There's a lot to think about here, not least the way that we approach the death of someone close to us; also the way that people in a marriage interact. Her words just flow, almost more like one long (but so readable) essay. ( )
  meredk | Oct 13, 2016 |
I was expecting this book to be about mental illness (and in some ways it was) but it wasn't and so maybe my review is tainted by that, but, OMG, what a presumptuous pompous bloviated blind obtusely outlandish book. A fabulously rich woman attempts to document "grief" and "hardship" from her husband's death. Wow. I would love to have a minimum wage single widowed mother with 5 kids read this book and critique - I imagine constant eye rolling as the author explains the "struggle" to cope as she eats as fancy restaurants with famous friends and compares notes on death. Oh the luxury... you just want to yell thru the pages to get this melodramatic woman to understand that she has NO idea what struggling through death is about (neither do I, actually, but before you write a book about how you struggle to come up with the right way to explain grief and the disappointment of not being able to cater to your daughter's every need, perhaps talk to someone who really has struggled and grieved, and tried to take care of kids and keep a low-paying job and meet the mortgage payment and get the bills paid and hope like the kids don't get hurt etc etc etc...).

OK, so you might be able to tell, I thought this was a stupid stupid book. Do NOT reommend. ( )
  marshapetry | Oct 9, 2016 |
Like everything Didion does, incredible. ( )
  bookofmoons | Sep 1, 2016 |
I rated this book three stars, purely because I don't think this is the kind of book you read for enjoyment.

It was a very well-written book that explored concepts of grief and loss. It's a powerful little book, it's very short, and some people found it hard to read.

I understand that a lot of people don't like this book because the subject matter is very heavy and difficult, but I don't think that makes it any less readable.

It's been quite some time since I've read this book, and I'm not entirely sure I would be inclined to reread it. But I would like to read more of Joan Didion's writing and see how it compares.

Would I recommend this book if it were your first time reading Joan Didion? No, I don't think so. Does that make it an awful book? No, absolutely not. But it's a particular book and I think in order to really love it, I would need to read it at the right time.

Edit: I've heard a lot about the privilege Didion mentions in this novel and how it really affected some readers. I don't remember that when I read it, but I think I wasn't reading it critically at the time. ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
like i need to rate this book! it's a sad story about a fascinating woman who happens to be a great writer. i love the jacket pic of the joan with her daughter and john on a balcony overlooking the ocean in malibu. wow, getting a glimpse into her life was quite an experience. thank you, joan. ( )
  Joseph_W_Naus | Jul 20, 2016 |
Essayistic and concise, seeking external points of comparison, trying to set her case in some wider context.
added by KayCliff | editNew York Review of Books, Julian Barnes (Apr 7, 2011)

added by melmore | editLondon Review of Books, Michael Wood (pay site) (Jan 5, 2006)

The book is, as promised, extraordinary. The Year of Magical Thinking is raw, brutal, compact, precise, immediate, literate, and, given the subject matter, astonishingly readable.
added by melmore | editSlate.com, Peter D. Kramer (Oct 17, 2005)

Though the material is literally terrible, the writing is exhilarating and what unfolds resembles an adventure narrative: a forced expedition into those "cliffs of fall" identified by Hopkins.

The Year of Magical Thinking , though it spares nothing in describing Didion's confusion, grief and derangement, is a work of surpassing clarity and honesty. It may not provide "meaning" to her husband's death or her daughter's illness, but it describes their effects on her with unsparing candor. It was not written as a self-help handbook for the bereaved but as a journey into a place that none of us can fully imagine until we have been there.

Joan Didionprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jonkheer, ChristienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for John and for Quintana
Life changes fast.
I remember thinking that I needed to discuss this with John.
Confronted with sudden disaster we all focus on how unremarkable the circumstances were in which the unthinkable occurred, the clear blue sky from which the plane fell, the routine errand that ended on the shoulder with the car in flames.
Didion's journalistic skills are displayed as never before in this story of a year in her life that began with her daughter in a medically induced coma and her husband unexpectedly dead due to a heart attack.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140004314X, Hardcover)

From one of America’s iconic writers, a stunning book of electric honesty and passion. Joan Didion explores an intensely personal yet universal experience: a portrait of a marriage–and a life, in good times and bad–that will speak to anyone who has ever loved a husband or wife or child.

Several days before Christmas 2003, John Gregory Dunne and Joan Didion saw their only daughter, Quintana, fall ill with what seemed at first flu, then pneumonia, then complete septic shock. She was put into an induced coma and placed on life support. Days later–the night before New Year’s Eve–the Dunnes were just sitting down to dinner after visiting the hospital when John Gregory Dunne suffered a massive and fatal coronary. In a second, this close, symbiotic partnership of forty years was over. Four weeks later, their daughter pulled through. Two months after that, arriving at LAX, she collapsed and underwent six hours of brain surgery at UCLA Medical Center to relieve a massive hematoma.

This powerful book is Didion’s attempt to make sense of the “weeks and then months that cut loose any fixed idea I ever had about death, about illness . . . about marriage and children and memory . . . about the shallowness of sanity, about life itself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:12 -0400)

An autobiographical portrait of the author's efforts to deal with the death of her husband, John Gregory Dunne, shortly after their daughter Quintana was placed into an induced coma to help her survive complications after pneumonia.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,820,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible