You're Only Old Once! by Dr. Seuss

You're Only Old Once! (1986)

by Dr. Seuss

This one is a picture book, but aimed at adults. It follows an older man getting poked and prodded and checked by doctors. Having read this immediately after The Lorax, it wasn't quite as engaging. I found there were more made-up words that I stumbled through a little bit, through to the end of the book, not just at the beginning. However, it is still a humourous look at aging. The pictures, of course, add to the humour. ( )
  LibraryCin | Apr 2, 2019 |
Returned books to the Hershey library and was snorting around, mainly looking in the non-fiction section, trying to find the area for collections of articles, essays, etc (was primarily looking for Vonnegut's book of his college speeches.... which I found), and I came across this. I had never heard of it, so I had to pick it up and give it a read.

It's a Dr. Seuss book (by Dr. Seuss, not one of the fill-ins after he passed away) with his own illustrations and everything, aimed at 70 year olds, about getting old, and having to wait in a doctor's office and the litany of tests that doctors do to people as they age.

Very funny book, Dr. Seuss was an amazing poet in both the way he did children's books, and this one as well. I'm surprised I'd never heard of this before, it should be in all retirement homes..... (ha!) ( )
  BenKline | Aug 7, 2016 |
Dr. Seuss books are always such wonderful books to read to students. I really like this book because I had never read this book before.
  mackenzie1992 | Mar 1, 2016 |
In honor of his 82nd birthday Theodore Geisel celebrated with the publication of this picture book for adults or, to use his term, 'obsolute children'. The story follows an ambiguous 'you' on a visit to the Golden Years Clinic where you have gone for a checkup. From absurd questionnaires about the health history of every extended member of your family past and present to a plethora of prescription pills with a complicated dosage schedule every inch of you is inspected and ogled by a huge staff of doctors. You even visit the dietician's office where you lay on a table and appetizing foods pass by your nose so the doctor can determine which foods you like the most. "And when that guy finds out what you like, you can bet it won't be on your diet, From here on, forget it!" It's all in good fun with Seuss' silly rhymes that tickle your funny bone. ( )
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
I really loved this story, and I hope I remember to read it again when I am old.
  kali.joy | Nov 2, 2015 |
With Affection for and Afflictions with the Members of the Class of 1925
One day you will read in the National Geographic of a faraway land with no smelly bad traffic.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394551907, Hardcover)

Subtitled A Book for Obsolete Children, this unusual item in the Seuss canon doesn't really belong among the children's books. Written to celebrate the nonsense master's 82nd birthday, it follows "you" (an elderly gent in a suit and white moustache) through a physical check-up in some fiendish geriatric clinic. You are measured, prodded, and subjected to all the medical indignities familiar and unfamiliar to the elderly. "You must see Dr. Pollen, our Allergy Whiz, who knows every sniffle and itch that there is... He will check your reactions to thumbtacks and glue, catcher's mitts, leaf mould, and cardigans too. Nasturtiums and marble cake, white and blue chalks, anthracite coal and the feathers of hawks." It's clear that the process is going to be long, but much shorter than the bill. The blurb on the back says it all: "Is this a children's book? Well... not immediately. You buy a copy for your child now and you give it to him on his 70th birthday." Actually, it would make an amusing gift for anyone over 40. --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:18 -0400)

A man goes through a hilarious battery of tests at his annual checkup.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,634,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible