A Time of Gifts (1977)

by Patrick Leigh Fermor

Series: On Foot to Constantinople (1)

2,203576,003 (4.21)262
In 1933, at the age of 18, Patrick Leigh Fermor set out on an extraordinary journey by foot - from the Hook of Holland to Constantinople. A Time of Gifts is the first volume in a trilogy recounting the trip, and takes the reader with him as far as Hungary. It is a book of compelling glimpses - not only of the events which were curdling Europe at that time, but also of its resplendent domes and monasteries, its great rivers, the sun on the Bavarian snow, the storks and frogs, the hospitable burgomasters who welcomed him, and that world's grandeurs and courtesies. His powers of recollection have astonishing sweep and verve, and the scope is majestic.… (more)

English (52)  German (2)  French (1)  All languages (55)
I'll quote a small fragment from an interview given by Nick Hunt, who travelled 2,500 miles on the footsteps of sir Patrick Leigh Fermor, spending 50 pounds a week, 50 times more than Paddy had available.

I was also amazed by how little people’s prejudices had changed, especially in the east. Some of the things Slovaks were saying about Hungarians, Hungarians about everyone, Romanians about Hungarians, Romanians about Bulgarians – it could have been cut and pasted from the pages of the books. People have long memories.

It struck me as very true, and in times like this it becomes seriously sad.

Sir Patrick Leigh Fermor was only 18 when he set off on the long journey from Rotterdam to Constantinople. ( )
  luciarux | Jul 3, 2022 |
While reading Upton Sinclair's Lanny Budd series, I heard about Patrick Leigh Fermor's travel memoirs on the NYT Book Review podcast and planned to read this book when I reached the same time period in the Sinclair series. The Lanny Budd books center the wealthy and focus on "high" society. This memoir seemed like a good balance to the novels because I hoped to get glimpses of people from the lower and middle classes.

Fermor decided at the young age of 18 to walk across the continent, from Rotterdam to Constantinople. This first volume details his trip from London to his crossing of the Danube at the border of Czechoslovakia with Hungary. The memoir is, in general, written chronologically. An introduction brings the reader up to the point of his departure, and the story of the journey continues in another volume.

I enjoyed the book, especially his observations of the people he met along the way. He explores the language, folkways, and society of the various peoples he encounters. He also provides vivid descriptions of the wintry landscapes.

The book was written in the 1970s, using his contemporaneous journals and his memories as source material. The experiences of his later years inform the writing and sometimes intrude into the story. These adventures show that his daring only increased in the following decades and made me want to read the next volume as well as his later work. I look forward to doing so. ( )
  RTFlynn | Mar 7, 2022 |
Travels of the author down the Rhine and Danube in the 1930s, when he was 18 years old. Sometimes quite poetic in his descriptions, with a lot of historic and contemporary descriptions of the places and people he meets. I particularly love his description of trying to read Proust: "I had only just heard of Proust...I took the first volume to bed that night: but it was too dense a wood. When I tried again next year..., the wood lightened and turned into a forest whose spell had been growing ever since". ( )
  AChild | Nov 27, 2021 |
[2021-11-19]
  pbth1957 | Nov 19, 2021 |
With Patrick Leigh Fermor as your guide, many new worlds of walking open up.

Adding to previous reviews, the major missing link is skirting around what Germany is doing to destroy the world. ( )
  m.belljackson | Nov 14, 2021 |
Patrick Fermor was only 18 when, abandoning a proper education in England, he decided to walk from the Hook of Holland to Constantinople. His accounts of that journey, which lasted from December 1933 until January 1937, were quickly declared classics of travel writing when they were published in 1977 - a verdict unlikely to be overturned even though the projected third and final volume has not appeared. .... Jan Morris calls Mr. Fermor a "born irregular." He is also a peerless companion, unbound by timetable or convention, relentless in his high spirits and curiosity.

Leigh Fermor, Patrickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Craxton, JohnCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morris, JanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I struck the board and cry'd 'No more;
I will abroad'.
What, shall I ever sigh and pine?
My life and lines are free; free as the road,
Loose as the wind.
-- George Herbert
Dear XAN,
As I have only just finished piecing these travels together, the times dealt with are very fresh in my mind and later events seem more recent still; so it is hard to believe that 1942 in Crete, when we first met - both of us black-turbaned, booted and sashed and appropriately silver-and-ivory daggered and cloaked in white goats' hair, and deep in grime - was more than three decades ago.

An account of the first part of a journey on foot across Europe from the Hook of Holland to Constantinople; 1933/34.
Memoir, travelogue, historical and cultural overview.

NYRB Classics

An edition of this book was published by NYRB Classics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,943,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible