Exploring the Matrix: Visions of the Cyber Present (2003)

by Karen Haber (Editor)

Other authors: Darrel Anderson (Contributor), Kevin J. Anderson (Contributor), Stephen Baxter (Contributor), Rick Berry (Contributor), David Brin (Contributor)13 more, Pat Cardigan (Introduction), Paul Di Filippo (Contributor), Alan Dean Foster (Contributor), Kathleen Ann Goonan (Contributor), Karen Haber (Composer), Joe Haldeman (Contributor), James Patrick Kelly (Contributor), Dean Motter (Contributor), Mike Resnick (Contributor), John Shirley (Contributor), Bruce Sterling (Contributor), Ian Watson (Contributor), Walter Jon Williams (Contributor)

120None227,463 (3.64)None
It is the beginning of the twenty-first century, and we are living on the cusp of change. Reality has already spawned one alternate state, and for many people virtual reality is now where they are most at home. But what happens when virtual worlds become indistinguishable from what we consider to be the real world? When you wake up from a dream, how do you know that you are not still dreaming? And if the reality we're in is virtual, who is doing the programming?These questions, and many more like them, spin effortlessly out of the box-office mega-hit The Matrix. More than just a computer-aided shot-'em-up, more than just the latest cinematic expression of cyberpunk angst, The Matrix presented layer upon layer of challenging explorations of what the true nature of reality might be, and why this should (or should not) be important to us.Exploring the Matrix presents eighteen thoughtful and thought-provoking essays on what the film had to say and exactly how it was said. Here you will discover the long and fascinating history of some of the themes set forth in the Wachowski Brothers' landmark film, why they are important, how they have been explored in the past, and their implications for the immediate future of human society. The true nature of reality in our current cyber-age is not a rhetorical question, but rather onethat needs to be answered as we move closer to seamless virtual scenarios, accessible online, in video games . . . and perhaps ultimately as the result of uploading software to an implanted chip in the brain.You can take the blue pill and stay in the dream, unaware of your status, or take the red pill and see just how deep the rabbit hole goes.… (more)

No reviews

Watson, IanContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, Walter JonContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,751,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible