Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

A Good Man Is Hard to Find and Other Stories…

A Good Man Is Hard to Find and Other Stories (1955)

by Flannery O'Connor

It was fine really, I just am not very good at short stories. DNF
  kemilyh1988 | Apr 12, 2019 |
Short stories from Deep South in early 20th century. ( )
  addunn3 | Feb 16, 2019 |
Amazingly written and utterly original Southern Gothic short stories. They're simultaneously utterly dark, full of unsympathetic people in dire situations, and yet full of funny and brilliantly observed little comments -
the cantankerous centenarian who "would not wear teeth because he thought his profile was more striking without them";
the seemingly gormless youth selling Bibles door-to-door who finally gets a woman in the hayloft; opening his valise "there were only two Bibles in it. He took one of these and opened the cover of it. It was hollow and contained a pocket flask of whiskey, a pack of cards and a small blue box with printing on it...He put the blue box in her hand. THIS PRODUCT ONLY TO BE USED FOR THE PREVENTION OF DISEASE, she read and dropped it."

Intriguing scenarios abound...a family on a roadtrip encounter a serial killer; a child from a bad home goes to the river to re-live the healing that a neighbour took him to see; an old woman tries to marry off her retarded daughter to a drifter; a young wife with a horror of doctors discovers she is pregnant.
Utterly engrossing and very very strange. ( )
  starbox | Nov 10, 2018 |
I chose Flannery O'Connor for my short story pick of the Popsugar 2015 challenge, as she is on the list of must-read women authors. I don't normally read short stories, so it took me a while to figure whether I did not like the fomat or the writing. Well, I actually was fine with the length of the stories, and the writing was good, too. She paints a vivid picture of Southern life with its prejudices, small-mindedness and religious hypocrisy. What really bugged me was her utter contempt for her characters, the attitude of judgment instead of compassion. Virtually all characters are petty, self-absorbed and judgmental. Many do bad things to others out of boredom or for pleasure, from killing through stealing from disabled people to setting a farm on fire just for shits and giggles. Some people think they are smart and get cheated, others are plain mean, racist or simply cannot stand someone different.

Flannery O'Connor has been checked off as read and will never be read again by me. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
This book was reallyyyyyyyy fucked up, by which I mean that every single story was some degree of horrifying/disturbing, but it was in a way that was extremely compelling. This was the first time I'd read anything by O'Connor and I was really impressed by her skill in that "I want to emulate certain elements of this writer's work in my own work" way--I thought her powers of description were particularly impressive. Fair warning, there's definitely a hell of a lot of racism in this book which some readers might be put off by, but I thought it was usually done in a way that the racists were actually the ones who were made to look bad. ( )
  selfcallednowhere | Aug 30, 2018 |
For Sally and Robert Fitzgerald
The grandmother didn't want to go to Florida.
She would have been a good woman if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life.
...an end that would be welcome because it would be the end.

This is the book that established Flannery O'Connor as a master of the short story and one of the most original and provocative writers to emerge from the South. Her apocalyptic vision of life is expressed through grotesque, often comic, situations in which the principal character faces a problem of salvation: the grandmother, in the title story, confronting the murderous Misfit; a neglected four-year-old boy looking for the Kingdom of Christ in the fast-flowing waters of the river; General Sash, about to meet the final enemy.
"The Displaced Person," the story of an outsider who destroys the balance of life between blacks and whites on a small Southern farm, has been adapted into a powerful drama for television.

ONE OF THE GREATEST AMERICAN SHORT STORY COLLECTIONS

In 1955, with this short story collection, Flannery O'Connor firmly laid claim to her place as one of the most original and provocative writers of her generation. Steeped in a Southern Gothic tradition that would become synonymous with her name, these stories show O'Connor's unique, grotesque view of life-- infused with religious symbolism, haunted by apocalyptic possibility, sustained by the tragic comedy of human behavior, confronted by the necessity of salvation.

With these classic stories-- including "The Life You Save May Be Your Own," "Good Country People," "The Displaced Person," and seven other acclaimed tales-- O'Connor earned a permanent place in the hearts of American readers.

"Much savagery, compassion, farce, art, and truth have gone into these stories. O'Connor's characters are wholeheartedly horrible, and almost better than life. I find it hard to think of a funnier or more frightening writer." -- Robert Lowell

"In these stories the rural South is, for the first time, viewed by a writer who orthodoxy matches her talent. The results are revolutionary." -- The New York Times Book Review

Flannery O'Connor (1925-1964) was born in Savannah, Georgia. She earned her M.F.A. at the University of Iowa, but lived most of her life in the South, where she became an anomaly among post-World War II authors-- a Roman Catholic woman whose stated purpose was to reveal the mystery of God's grace in everyday life. Her work-- novels, short stories, letters, and criticism-- received a number of awards, including the National Book Award.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:20 -0400)

The collection that established OéConnorés reputation as one of the american masters of the short story. The volume contains the celebrated title story, a tale of the murderous fugitive The Misfit, as well as zThe Displaced Persony and eight other stories.… (more)

Legacy Library: Flannery O'Connor

Flannery O'Connor has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Flannery O'Connor's legacy profile.

See Flannery O'Connor's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,474,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible