Boy: Tales of Childhood by Roald Dahl

Boy: Tales of Childhood (1984)

by Roald Dahl

Series: Roald Dahl's Autobiographies (1)

Going Solo by Roald Dahl (1-L1F3-L3FT, DAHU, rahooligan)
    DAHU: This is a great sequel of Boy and should be read by all who love roald Dahl's books
    James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (jf13)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (acx10)
    What I Was by Meg Rosoff (nosoyretro)
    Airman by Eoin Colfer (kittu26)
    kittu26: It is a book about a flying man by eoin colfer
    The Vampire Prince by Darren Shan (Anonymous user)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (yanpoo, Chris.Li)

English (117)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (121)
Roald Dahl is one of my favorite childhood authors. I love his imagination, as well as how in all of his books, his generosity of spirit and unconventional thinking shine through. His characters are simply, but completely drawn, don't patronize or talk down to younger readers and speak to the child in all of us. I've read most of his stories several times...except this one.

Written in much the same style/tone, Boy is a compilation of Dahl's childhood memories grouped by age - his family, summer adventures, early schooling and boarding school as well as some family photographs. It's like reading a time capsule of growing up in Norway, boarding school in Britain and ends with a preview of his first job/experiences in East Africa post-school.

It is a very charming and enjoyable snapshot of a fairly regular and non-remarkable boyhood in a very different era. His mother seems like a very interesting person--much of the book is a love letter of sorts to her, to childhood friends, and to formative experiences both painful (surgery without anesthesia! cruel headmistresses! canings!) and pleasurable (summer adventures! letters from home! and how they shape us into the adults we become.

I think I would have really enjoyed knowing and chatting with Roald Dahl and maybe, in a life after this one, I'll get my chance. Highly recommended for Dahl fans. ( )
  angiestahl | Jun 19, 2019 |
Despite being a school librarian from 2002 until 2013, I had never read this book, and only one other Dahl book in the company of my then very little boy. I love memoir and had it in mind to read for many years. It didn't disappoint, in its depiction of the beauty of prewar Norway and the concurrent horrors of pre-war Britain. The man-to-boy sadism that is recounted by Dahl, inherent in the British public school system, is saddening and very disturbing. Mothers sent their boys off to this risky game of dominator-and-dominated were ignorant of its dark underworkings, or did so with faith that their own child would not become one of life's permanet 'fags', but would carry the work of the empire forward as a Boazer or at least equal to a Boazer (prefect). Are homosapien men inherently sadistic and violent? Do they inscribe this tatoo under the skin of their women, or onto their effigies, where it suits them - out of prurience? ( )
  joannajuki | Feb 15, 2019 |
This book allows the readers to see experience the young childhood of Roald Dahl. It gives insight to the good, bad, adventurous, and memories of young Roald Dahl and how it shaped into the person he became
  Rachael_Dorsch | Dec 11, 2018 |
Dahl details anecdotes of important moments from his childhood. A sort-of memoir that reads like one of his books = fabulous, of course. I love the bits where you can see how he was inspired to write those amazing books of his. Definitely recommended. ( )
  scaifea | Sep 1, 2018 |
I loved this book. It was an excellent collection of memories from Dahl's childhood. ( )
  PeggyK49 | Aug 27, 2018 |
Jody Little (Children's Literature)
Dahl’s autobiography of his first 20 years of life begins with a brief description of his parents’ backgrounds, including his father’s death when Dahl was only three years old. Dahl then moves into short memories from his childhood and school days beginning with his year in kindergarten and then the move to Llandaff Cathedral School. While at Llandaff, Dahl writes fondly of the local sweet shop owned by a “small skinny old hag with a moustache on her upper lip and a mouth as sour as a green gooseberry.” He tells the story of finding a dead mouse at school and deciding with his friends to put the mouse in a candy jar at the sweet shop, a prank that eventually earns him four strokes of the headmaster’s cane. At age nine, Dahl moves to boarding school where he begins to write a weekly letter home to his mother, a habit he continues for 32 years. His mother kept all the letters from Roald, and he includes many snippets of them throughout the book. The final section includes memories of his teen years at Repton School and his first job outside of school with the Shell Company. Fans of Roald Dahl’s books will recognize details from his life, such as the sweet shop, Gobstoppers, the villainous adults, and the Cadbury Coffee Cream Bar, which later led to some of Dahl’s most memorable children’s books. 2009 (orig. 1984), Puffin Books/Penguin, $6.99. Ages 10 up.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Jody Little

Bill Boyle (Books for Keeps No. 38, May 1986)
Subtitled 'Tales of childhood', this is a fascinating insight into the young life of Roald Dahl. All are true, and act as indicators of the sources of much of the material in Dahl's books. 'An English school in those days was purely a moneymaking business owned and operated by the Headmaster,' So, naturally, money could be made by encouraging parents to send parcels of food to their offspring, thereby reducing the amount he would have to spend on school meals. Part and parcel of the 'make your own Headmaster kit' was 'the kind of flashing grin a shark might give to a small fish just before he gobbles it up.' Very interesting and worthwhile reading as background to the developing Roald Dahl, from dot to twenty, an adolescent world of boarding school and boaters fagging and tuck boxes holding frogs and slugs. Category: Middle/Secondary. . ...., Puffin, D1.95. Ages 10 to 14.
added by kthomp25 | editBooks for Keeps, Bill Boyle

Sachs, AndrewNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, DanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vriesendorp, HuberteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alfhild, Else, Asta, Ellen and Louis
An autobiography is a book a person writes about his own life and is usually full of all sorts of boring details.
None of these things is important, but each of them made such a tremendous impression on me that I have never been able to get them out of my mind.  Each of them, even after a lapse of fifty and sometimes sixty years, has remained seared on my memory.

I didn’t have to search for any of them.  All I had to do was skim them off the top of my consciousness and write them down.

Some are funny.  Some are painful.  Some are unpleasant. I suppose that is why I have always remembered them so vividly.  All are true.
Throughout my young days at school and just afterwards a number of things happened to me that I have never forgotten.

In "Boy" Roald Dahl describes his childhood and school life, in the second section (also a separate book) "Going Solo" he talks about his adult life, working overseas and flying a fighter plane for the RAF (Royal Air Force) during World War II.

In Boy, Roald Dahl recounts his days as a child growing up in England. From his years as a prankster at boarding school to his envious position as a chocolate tester for Cadbury's, Roald Dahl's boyhood was as full of excitement and the unexpected as are his world-famous, best-selling books. Packed with anecdotes -- some funny, some painful, all interesting -- this is a book that's sure to please.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:33 -0400)

Presents humorous anecdotes from the author's childhood which includes summer vacations in Norway and an English boarding school.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141322764, 0143566547, 0241955300

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,365,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible