The Gathering (2007)

by Anne Enright

3,7861982,622 (3.06)424
Veronica--once an attention-deprived middle child among 12 siblings, and now an unfulfilled wife and mother--has come to London to claim the body of her beloved yet estranged brother Liam who drowned himself at sea. As the nine surviving members of the Hegarty clan converge in Dublin for Liam's wake, Veronica wants to protect the past--and the secret of what transpired in her grandmother's house during the winter of 1968.… (more)

English (185)  Dutch (5)  German (3)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Norwegian (Bokmål) (1)  French (1)  All languages (197)
Þetta er ein tilfinningaþrungnasta bók sem ég hef lesið. Hún hlaut Man Booker verðlaunin 2007 og lýsir líkvöku stórrar fjölskyldu í Írlandi eftir að Liam, einn bræðranna, fremur sjálfsmorð.
Andlátið kemur miklu róti á huga systurinnar Veronicu því það fær hana til að takast á við myrkt leyndarmál sem hún og Liam höfðu átt saman frá því í barnsæsku þeirra.
Orðfæri bókarinnar er eitt af því sem er sjokkerandi við lesturinn en þegar líður á lesturinn varð mér ljóst hve vel það lýsti geðhrifum Veronicu.
Góð saga sem skyldi sem gerði mig á stundum agndofa. ( )
  SkuliSael | Apr 28, 2022 |
Read for TBR Reading 1001. I've owned this kindle copy since 2015 so it is about time I read it. Anne Enright is an Irish author and the setting is Ireland, death, wake, family. The Irish seem to like to write about death and wakes. This story is the exploration of a sister's stream of conscious state after the death of her brother by suicide. Many family secrets are explored. ( )
  Kristelh | Mar 3, 2022 |
if you've ever lost anyone in incomprehensible circumstances and spent every day since delving into and reinterpreting and reinventing smoky memory fragments over and over again getting more and more lost ( )
  RebeccaBooks | Sep 16, 2021 |
2.5 stars ( )
  rosscharles | May 19, 2021 |
This book takes a really direct look at truth, memory, and how we record history. It's very well-written, but it's just too miserable for me. The narrator is so miserable and every thing that happens in this book is seen through the lens of her misery. It helped me find the sorrow and the evil in everything. It is an interesting look at family relationships and the effects each person can have on generations of people, though. ( )
  CassandraNicole | Apr 22, 2021 |
At its best Enright's prose style is excitingly original, a blend of defensive social satire with extreme precision in evoking sounds, smells, and atmosphere and a great ability to make rapid and telling transitions from past to present, concrete to abstract, narrative to reflection. However, these qualities emerge for the most part in sections peripheral to the main story.... When, on the other hand, she slides into melodrama and literary formula, The Gathering does indeed sound like at least nine other writers and by no means the best.
added by jburlinson | editNew York Review of Books, Tim Parks (pay site) (Apr 17, 2008)

Her prose often ravishes and sometimes repels: reading her can be like staring into the lustrous surface of a lake, trying to discern the dangers lurking beneath. . . Bringing together the skills she has honed along the way, Enright carries off her illusions without props or dei ex machina, bravely engaging with the carnival horrors of everyday life.

added by lucyknows | editscis (pay site)

Enright, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Verhagen, PietTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

I would like to write down what happened in my grandmother's house the summer I was eight or nine, but I am not sure if it really did happen. I need to bear witness to an uncertain event. I feel it roaring inside me--this thing that may not have taken place. I don't even know what name to put on it. I think you might call it a crime of the flesh, but the flesh is long fallen away and I am not sure what hurt may linger in the bones.
…I was living my life in inverted commas. I could pick up my keys and go ‘home’ where I could ‘have sex’ with my ‘husband’ just like lots of other people did. That is what I had been doing for years. And I didn’t seem to mind the inverted commas, or even notice that I was living in them, until my brother died.
This is The Gathering by Anne Enright. It should not be combined with The Gathering by Joseph Lidster.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,105,869 books! | Top bar: Always visible