The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy

The Return of the Native (1878)

by Thomas Hardy

5,058None885 (3.93)224
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (Porua)
    Porua: I would like to recommend another Thomas Hardy novel, Far from the Madding Crowd. When I first read The Return of the Native it kind of surprised me to see how very similar it is to Far from the Madding Crowd. They are very similar in their story lines, characterization and narrative style.… (more)

This was my second book by Hardy. Like the first one I read, this is a book about moral dilemmas & the power of misperceptions. Eustacia & Thomasin are tragic heroines who suffer the consequences of rumor & reputation is small town 1800's England. Clym, the one is is the returning native of the title, is a man who fortune treated well in the beginning, but struck down at the end. Wildeve is the romantic hero who is the cause of much of the 2 ladies' problems....

It's sad most of the way, with a few clever places throughout, like Eustacia's attempt at disguising herself as a man in the mummer's play so that she could meet Clym to begin with. That evening's work she didn't quite think all the way through, & finds herself in a rather touchy situation :)

All in all, I was ok with how the book ended, although the afterword gives us an idea of how the original ending went vice the one that the book gives.... ( )
  Lisa.Johnson.James | Apr 11, 2014 |
Two words: Alan Rickman.

Okay, well the book deserves more than two words, and about Mr. Rickman I could go on and on. This is a heartbreaking story of love and betrayal, and of scheming and misunderstanding set on the wildly bleak and beautiful Egdon Heath. The story opens with Thomasin Yeobright being returned home in disgrace in reddleman Diggory Venn's van, her anticipated marriage to inn-owner Damon Wildeve not taking place due to an error in the marriage license. In the aftermath of the non-wedding, Wildeve receives a bonfire signal from former lover Eustacia Vye, and the two resume their flirtation. Wildeve is ready to return to Eustacia, Eustacia considers, and Thomasin and her aunt attempt to save Thomasin's honor by proceeding with the wedding to Wildeve. Into this climate returns Thomasin's cousin Clym, the handsome, educated pride of the village, home from Paris. The idea of Clym captivates Eustacia, who is miserable on the heath and dreams of a grand life in Paris. Thus a web is woven, with strands connecting Clym, Eustacia, Thomasin, and Wildeve, with Clym's mother Mrs. Yeobright and reddleman Diggory Venn (long in love with Thomasin) worrying on the periphery.

Mr. Hardy writes well-developed characters, the most interesting and complex of which is Eustacia. With Eustacia, as with the timeless heath, marked by the ancient Celts, Mr. Hardy brings to life the uneasy blend of Christian and Pagan. "Eustacia Vye was the raw material of a divinity. On Olympus she would have done well with a little preparation. She had the passions and instincts which make a model goddess, that is, those which make not quite a model woman." A beautiful outsider disinclined to interact with any neighbors, she is admired by some and suspected by others to be a witch. She can be maddeningly selfish, fiendishly scheming, and utterly tragic.

As for Mr. Rickman... I could hardly attend to the story for pretty much the entire first disc, I was so giddy about his narration! But as with the best narrators, Mr. Rickman gradually disappeared and the story came to full, glorious, tragic life. This was one of the best audiobook experiences ever -- right up there with Jeremy Irons narrating [Brideshead Revisited]. What a shame that Mr. Rickman never narrated another book, for this one was amazing.
1 vote AMQS | Mar 22, 2014 |
It took 25 plus years, but after being totally put of Hardy at school, I finally tried again. And it was nothing like as bad as I thought it was going to be. This is the story of two couples who have married and both, for various reasons, are unsuited. The characters are supported by a mass of well drawn characters, pone of which is the landscape itself. The whole of the first chapter is devoted to describing Egdon Heath and it takes on a presence that is more than mere backdrop. There are contrasting opinions on it as well, with Eustacia wanting to get away and Clem feeling he has returned home.
It certainly isn't a feel good book, it has an air of melancholy about it, there's a lot of repenting at leisure and the whole tone is nostalgic for a time and tradition that probably never existed. Even the ending seems not to focus on the hope of a marriage (this one seems much more sound) but on the disappointment and lack of emotion of Clem.
It was certainly a lot better than my last experience with him, but he's not exactly a cheery bunny. His landscape is excellent, I'm just not sure I bought into his characters entirely, the marriages struck me as a little too far fetched. It may well be less than 25 years before I pick up another. ( )
  Helenliz | Mar 7, 2014 |
Is Hardy for marriage or against marriage? Having read a few of his works, I think that perhaps he ultimately comes down on the side that marriage is a bad idea. This one, however, leaves you thinking that perhaps under the right conditions, if both parties come to the marriage from a place of grief and don't expect too much then maybe it can work. A young man returns to his village when his cousin's marriage is temporarily disrupted but all sorts of mayhem ensues. It is difficult to give any details of the plot without giving the whole thing away as not many events happen in the book, but it is full of character (both human and of nature) and mood. I really enjoyed it. Definately depressing - but not nearly as much so as Jude, which made me depressed for days. ( )
  stuart10er | Nov 5, 2013 |
Beautifully descriptive. A book to just curl up an lose yourself in. ( )
  ElaineRuss | Sep 23, 2013 |

Thomas Hardyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parker, Agnes MillerIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Theroux, AlexanderIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winterich, John T.Prefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodcock, GeorgeIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"To sorrow
I bade good morrow,
And thought to leave her far away behind;
But cheerly, cheerly,
She loves me dearly;
She is so constant to me, and so kind.
I would deceive her,
And so leave her,
But ah! she is so constant and so kind."
A SATURDAY AFTERNOON in November was approaching the time of twilight, and the vast tract of unenclosed wild known as Egdon Heath embrowned itself moment by moment.
Human beings, in their generous endeavour to construct a hypothesis that shall not degrade a First Cause, have always hesitated to conceive a dominant power of lower moral quality than their own; and, even while they sit down and weep by the waters of Babylon, invent excuses for the oppression which prompts their tears.
As for Thomasin, I never expected much from her; and she has not disappointed me.
The Return of the Native was first published in Belgravia magazine in 12 parts in 1878 and revised by Hardy in 1895 and 1912, when he produced a definitive Wessex Edition of all of his novels.

Clym Yeobright is coming home from a successful, cosmopolitan life in Paris, a place far removed from the unforgiving landscape of Hedgon Heath.
He finds that his cousin Thomaskin is about to marry Damon Wildeve, a rakish and confused man with a lover, Eustaica Vye, whom he cannot forget. Eustacia is willful, ambitious, and dangerously alluring. Hardy describes her as "the raw material of divinity ... She had Pagan eyes, full of nocturnal mysteries."
As the characters are drawn together, they scheme and maneuver, often under the eye of DIggory Venn, the reddleman whose relentless virtue must find its reward at the violent climax of the novel.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037575718X, Paperback)

One of Thomas Hardy's most powerful works, The Return of the Native centers famously on Egdon Heath, the wild, haunted Wessex moor that D. H. Lawrence called "the real stuff of tragedy." The heath's changing face mirrors the fortunes of the farmers, inn-keepers, sons, mothers, and lovers who populate the novel. The "native" is Clym Yeobright, who comes home from a cosmopolitan life in Paris. He; his cousin Thomasin; her fiancé, Damon Wildeve; and the willful Eustacia Vye are the protagonists in a tale of doomed love, passion, alienation, and melancholy as Hardy brilliantly explores that theme so familiar throughout his fiction: the diabolical role of chance in determining the course of a life.

As Alexander Theroux asserts in his Introduction, Hardy was "committed to the deep expression of [nature's] ironic chaos and strange apathy, even hostility, toward man."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:23 -0400)

An enduring tale of love, desire, and the universal longing both to leave one's home and to return to it, this novel is one of Hardy's greatest and most affecting works. Hardy's passionately drawn characters and his vivid rendering of their valiant but ultimately ineffective struggle in destiny's web result in a masterpiece of melancholy brilliance.… (more)

Nine editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140435182, 0141199741

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible