dismiss

The Robber Bride

by Margaret Atwood

6,5491201,017 (3.83)1 / 553
The Robber Bride revolves around the lives of 3 fascinating women. Classmates from university, Rox, Charis, and Tony all shared the seductive and destructive experience of a past friendship with the flashy, sensuous, smart, irresistible Zenia.
    Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood (sturlington)
    sturlington: One book is about friendship among girls, the other about friendship among women.
    One Moment, One Morning by Sarah Rayner (Pedrolina)
    Pedrolina: Stories of women's friendship, loss and moving on.

English (116)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (120)
Read. ( )
  sasameyuki | May 7, 2020 |
TRB is not a bad introduction to the world of Atwood. I don't see how the 3 main characters could have continued this friendship, since they were incredibly different in so many ways, or why 2 of them stuck with the men they were married to, that's odd. The ending stunk, since you don't know for sure what happened to Zenia, and it took forever to get there, but none of this will stop me from reading another Atwood novel.

I did keep wanting to know WHY Zenia was such a class-A beyatch & liar, but this was never explained fully... but maybe that's just my own need to know coming out? IDK. ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
I couldn't put this down. It felt so honest in some ways - people bringing out the worst in each other, and the inability to tell fact from fiction in Zenia's stories. I might have to digest it before writing a proper review. ( )
  RFellows | Apr 29, 2020 |
Roz, Charis, and Tony meet once a month for lunch and to catch up on all the gossip. This month though is different as they are stunned having all seen Zenia, someone they thought was dead. They had even all gone to the funeral to be certain. She was someone who they knew from university, and who had had affairs with their other halves stolen money and who they were collectively glad to see the back of. This common dislike of a woman, now seemingly back from the dead brings them closer together but also brings back the memories of what she did to them and the pain that she caused.

As they confront her separately to understand what was going on, Zenia begins to spin her web of half-truths and outright lies as she explains what was going on to the three friends. Her presence has caused much pain before and it looks like she is aiming to cause havoc with their lives once again.

Atwood is a talented author, and this is a very cleverly created story of how one woman can cause so much suffering to people who just want to get on with their lives. Whilst Zenia was a captivating character, the other three were slightly shallow and occasionally annoying. The story took ages to build up, so much so that the first 250 odd pages dragged somewhat. I am not keen on novels that jump back and forwards in time, as it takes a page or so to re-orientate myself to again to the story, and this was another small flaw in here. The final third of the book was the best part as the threads begun in the first half were pulled tight. Really liked the dramatic ending and was as enigmatic as Zenia herself. ( )
  PDCRead | Apr 6, 2020 |
I'm not sure what to add to the many excellent reviews here of The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood, but this was my favorite of hers that I've read so far. Not only is this a character study of the women involved, but the plot kept moving along. This story will stay with me for a long time -- how the manipulative Zenia wreaks havoc in the lives and relationships of three other women (they knew each other initially in college). Zenia opens up their psychological wounds -- some readers may have triggers -- and adds more to the pain. What a villain! ( )
  ValerieAndBooks | Aug 2, 2019 |
Margaret Atwood has always possessed a tribal bent: in both her fiction and her nonfiction she has described and transcribed the ceremonies and experience of being a woman, or a Canadian, or a writer -- or all three. And as with so many practitioners of identity politics, literary or otherwise, while one side of her banner defiantly exclaims "We Are!" the other side, equally defiant, admonishes "Don't Lump Us." In "The Robber Bride," Ms. Atwood has gathered (not lumped) four very different women characters.

Margaret Atwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lameris, MarianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tarlofsky, MalcolmCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A rattlesnake that doesn't bite teaches you nothing.
—Jessamyn West
Only what is entirely lost demands to be endlessly named: there is a mania to call the lost thing until it returns.
—Gunter Grass
Illusion is the first of all pleasures.
—Oscar Wilde
For Graeme and Jess,
and for Ruth, Phoebe, Rosie, and Anna.

And Absent Friends.
The story of Zenia ought to begin when Zenia began.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,815,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible