The Robber Bride

by Margaret Atwood

6,7891231,079 (3.82)1 / 563
The Robber Bride revolves around the lives of 3 fascinating women. Classmates from university, Rox, Charis, and Tony all shared the seductive and destructive experience of a past friendship with the flashy, sensuous, smart, irresistible Zenia.
    Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood (sturlington)
    sturlington: One book is about friendship among girls, the other about friendship among women.
    One Moment, One Morning by Sarah Rayner (Pedrolina)
    Pedrolina: Stories of women's friendship, loss and moving on.

English (119)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (123)
The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood (1998) ( )
  arosoff | Jul 10, 2021 |
I read the Robber Bride while in high school (stolen from my mother's night stand) and remembered it being beautiful and eyeopening. Having read it as an adult I have to admit being slightly disappointed in retrospect. While I was reading it I enjoy the beauty of the sentences and the depth of her character development, but after mentally chewing on the book I'm saddened.

To a high school mind this book seemes perfectly acceptable because the way these four women approach relationships is sophmoric. Everyone had that friend that would take back her boyfriend no matter what he did, or pretend he was perfect, or love him so much she had no identity. We knew the girls who would ruin relationships just for the fun of it. On some level this continues through college, but ultimately we gain depth and grow. It's only too bad these characters didn't.

I wish I hadn't reread The Robber Bride just so I could remember it being beautiful and spot on. ( )
  taimoirai | Jun 25, 2021 |
Margaret Atwood is an expert in telling a story, retelling it, and then challenging everything you think you know. This is an engaging, tantalizing, and dizzying novel about three friends and their toxic connection to a woman who robbed all three of them. ( )
1 vote DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
Read. ( )
  sasameyuki | May 7, 2020 |
TRB is not a bad introduction to the world of Atwood. I don't see how the 3 main characters could have continued this friendship, since they were incredibly different in so many ways, or why 2 of them stuck with the men they were married to, that's odd. The ending stunk, since you don't know for sure what happened to Zenia, and it took forever to get there, but none of this will stop me from reading another Atwood novel.

I did keep wanting to know WHY Zenia was such a class-A beyatch & liar, but this was never explained fully... but maybe that's just my own need to know coming out? IDK. ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
Margaret Atwood has always possessed a tribal bent: in both her fiction and her nonfiction she has described and transcribed the ceremonies and experience of being a woman, or a Canadian, or a writer -- or all three. And as with so many practitioners of identity politics, literary or otherwise, while one side of her banner defiantly exclaims "We Are!" the other side, equally defiant, admonishes "Don't Lump Us." In "The Robber Bride," Ms. Atwood has gathered (not lumped) four very different women characters.

Margaret Atwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lameris, MarianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tarlofsky, MalcolmCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A rattlesnake that doesn't bite teaches you nothing.
—Jessamyn West
Only what is entirely lost demands to be endlessly named: there is a mania to call the lost thing until it returns.
—Gunter Grass
Illusion is the first of all pleasures.
—Oscar Wilde
For Graeme and Jess,
and for Ruth, Phoebe, Rosie, and Anna.

And Absent Friends.
The story of Zenia ought to begin when Zenia began.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,383,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible