Rosemary's Baby (1967)

by Ira Levin

Series: Rosemary's Baby (1)

Rosemary Woodhouse and her struggling actor husband Guy move into the Bramford, an old New York City apartment building with an ominous reputation and mostly elderly residents. Neighbors Roman and Minnie Castavet soon come nosing around to welcome the Woodhouses to the building, and despite Rosemary's reservations about their eccentricity and the weird noises that she keeps hearing, her husband takes a special shine to them. Shortly after Guy lands a plum Broadway role, Rosemary becomes pregnant, and the Castavets start taking a special interest in her welfare. As the sickened Rosemary becomes increasingly isolated, she begins to suspect that the Castavets' circle is not what it seems.… (more)
Recently added bydom61uk, JoeB1934, Silenostar, Mace2Space, ellesappelle, Kaitlyn_C, stefphan, private library
    The Sentinel by Jeffrey Konvitz (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: The stories are quite different, but the books share similar themes. Both books are '70's religious shockers about a young woman moving into a new apartment, set in New York.
    The Case Against Satan by Ray Russell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    The Sand Men by Christopher Fowler (ShelfMonkey)
    The Devil's Own by Janet Louise Roberts (Litrvixen)
    Litrvixen: Both are about a young woman whom a cult wants to get pregnant with a demons child
    The Mephisto Waltz by Fred Mustard Stewart (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    Son of Rosemary by Ira Levin (KayCliff)
1960s (20)

English (112)  Danish (3)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (121)
I've read two of Ira Levin's books and they always creep me out. I don't know if he was some kind of feminist, but they always read as feminist horror litterature. If Levin were female, misogynists would call "her" misandrous because men are always scumbags treating women as if they have no agency and try to exploit, use, and trap them.

Too bad it hasn't aged well in other fronts -hello racism, antisemitism and a touch of homophobia! ( )
  Silenostar | Dec 7, 2022 |
Since I was born in (ahem) 1965, I clearly was not part of the craze of the 60s horror genre at that time. A lover of EA Poe and all things of the macabre, I finally picked this one up ... and was not scared in the least. The big orgy scene (if you can call it that) was indeed horrific and creepy, but my belief was not suspended in any way. Maybe because of all the true day-to-day horrors one has to witness in 2022, this has become a tamer read. Levin's writing was crisp and no-nonsense, which helped to keep the story fast-paced. Because I'm an agnostic, the whole Satan thing didn't affect me at all. Give me a good ghost story, though, like THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE by Shirley Jackson, and then I can be scared out of my wits with the best of 'em. I will have to read some of Levin's other works, too, because I enjoyed his style of writing. Maybe I can even get my husband to watch this movie and DEATHTRAP as well. All good for October, right? ( )
  crabbyabbe | Nov 6, 2022 |
As far as I can remember the movie followed the book pretty closely. It was nice to have Mia Farrow as the narrator. It helped me to picture Rosemary from the movie. ( )
  nx74defiant | Aug 24, 2022 |
(4.5)

This was so good! It’s quite scary that most of the horror comes from Rosemary not having control over her body and even scarier than that is that this is still so relevant to many women today concerning their own bodies. ( )
  DominiqueDavis | Aug 9, 2022 |
Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin is classic horror. Rosemary believes she’s carrying the devil’s child. Could she be right? Read my review.

#RosemarysBaby #IraLevin #JohnCAdamsReviews #JohnCAdams #WayBackWhensday #horror #Book #Review #Reviews #BookReview #BookReviews ( )
  johncadamssf | Jul 3, 2022 |
Met de regelmaat van de klok verschijnen de herdrukken van dit boek, dat ook verfilmd is (en nog steeds vertoond wordt). Een jong echtpaar krijgt een flat toegewezen in een oud romantisch flatgebouw in New York, waarover verhalen gaan als zouden er veel zelfmoorden plaatsvinden en heksen en gifmengers wonen. Ze trekken zich hier niets van aan en voelen er zich gelukkig tot de vrouw, Rosemary, plotseling in verwachting raakt. Deze zwangerschap verloopt moeizaam en ze gaat aan de hand van allerlei gebeurtenissen eraan twijfelen of de buren (en ook haar man) die haar met allerlei zorgjes omringen toch niet aan hekserij doen. Het verhaal eindigt dan ook als ze een baby heeft gekregen die als tegenhanger van Christus, de zoon van Satan zou zijn. Nog steeds een boeiend verhaal, maar minder griezelig dan de film. Duidelijke druk op grauw papier.
added by karnoefel | editNBD / Biblion

Levin, Iraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beckett, RicheyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kauppi, KaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"As for the desirability of cheerfulness during pregnancy, this should follow naturally from the fact that you are well and are approaching what will prove to be (although you may not appreciate it now) the most permanently satisfying event in your life. Do not think, however, though you devote all your days to laughter, or all your nights to symphony concerts, that your child will be one bit cheerier or one whit more musical because of it. No, his mental characteristics are more deeply rooted than that ..."
Nicholson J. Eastman, M.D.
Expectant Motherhood
Completed in August 1966, in Wilton, Connecticut, and dedicated to Gabrielle
Rosemary and Guy Woodhouse had signed a lease on a five-room apartment in a geometric white house on First Avenue when they received word, from a woman named Mrs. Cortez, that a four-room apartment in the Bramford had become available.

Rosemary Woodhouse and her struggling actor-husband, Guy, move into the Bramford, an old New York City apartment building with an ominous reputation and only elderly residents. Neighbours Roman and Minnie Castavet soon come nosing around to welcome them; despite Rosemary's reservations about their eccentricity and the weird noises that she keeps hearing, her husband starts spending time with them. Shortly after Guy lands a plum Broadway role, Rosemary becomes pregnant, and the Castavets start taking a special interest in her welfare; as the sickened Rosemary becomes increasingly isolated, she begins to suspect that the Castavets' circle is not what it seems.

See also the Wikipedia article.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,301,161 books! | Top bar: Always visible