A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin

A Storm of Swords (2000)

by George R. R. Martin

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (3)

Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks (sturlington)
    Wizard And Glass by Stephen King (asha.leu)
    The Gap into Conflict: The Real Story / The Gap into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge by Stephen Donaldson (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: One is SF the other Fantasy, they may seem very different. But they're both epic in scope, both at the darker end of the human condition, and the writing style is similar. Both tell much larger stories than just the action of the 'hero'.
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Sandwich76)

English (347)  Spanish (4)  German (3)  French (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (358)
A Storm of Swords is book number three in the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. Turned into a TV series I think the novels have gotten more - or at least renewed - attention lately. This is also why I turned to this series of novels that I had not known about before. As every novel in the series builds up on what happened before it does not make sense to start with A Storm of Swords. You will have to start at the beginning or not at all and this means going through a serious amount of pages, I am afraid.

With more than a thousand pages for just this novel you can already see that Martin was thinking big when conceiving the seven kingdoms of Westeros. I was a little taken aback by the page count, but after reading it I have to say that I found it quite okay. There are a few passages I personally would not have needed, but considering the world that the author creates and the many characters and details he fills it with, even a thousand pages seem to go by relatively fast. There are several main plot lines to follow and as a reader you know that they will necessarily have to converge at some point when it comes to the ultimate fight between all the contenders for the iron throne. I do not feel the need to go into plot details here as having read the first two novels in the series is a prerequisite for understanding this one. So if you have read them you will know where the story is going to continue and if you have not you will not be able to make much sense of the plot of A Storm of Swords anyway.

One thing that only occurred to me when I read this novel was the sheer scope of what Martin has created. Every detail is thought through and he has to be able to manage many plot lines at the same time. I admit that I could have had this thought after reading the first novel, but it really struck me when I went to the 51-page appendix to A Storm of Swords which simply lists the main characters and briefly gives some notes on their relations. While the A Song of Ice and Fire series might be considered pop fiction and while it might definitely not be everyone's cup of tea you will have to admire the world George R. R. Martin has created and the amount of work and imagination behind it. I mean, many authors do that, yes. Yet few come to mind who give their work so much detail. In terms of detail I think A Song of Ice and Fire as a series is comparable to Tolkien's Lord of the Rings or King's The Dark Tower. I will definitely continue reading the remaining novels in the series because this world has gripped me and I have come to like some of the characters very much that I cannot not read the rest. 4 stars. ( )
  OscarWilde87 | Aug 13, 2018 |
Ripping good read. ( )
  RobertP | Jul 28, 2018 |

This is probably the best series of books ever written. Literature at it's finest. ( )
  melanieklo | Jul 25, 2018 |
[b: A Storm of Swords|62291|A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3)|George R.R. Martin|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1497931121s/62291.jpg|1164465] continues the A Song of Ice and Fire series with an even quicker paced book than [b: A Clash of Kings|10572|A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2)|George R.R. Martin|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1358254974s/10572.jpg|3272005]. The pace is relentless and the deaths many, creating an even more uncertain future for all the people in Westeros.

The books thus far continue to be similar to the show, but they are well worth a read for the deeper lore held within them. The scenes at the Wall and beyond it were far less tedious than they had been in previous books, and the battles were extremely well-written. The political intrigue and the enhanced focus upon Stannis also served the book well, and the Arya plot continued to be far better than how the show depicted it all. Also, this book had the added joy of Jaime centric chapters which proved to be both interesting and well-written.

All in all a good continuation of the series. And now I'm off to [b: A Feast For Crows|13497|A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4)|George R.R. Martin|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1429538615s/13497.jpg|1019062]... ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
George R.R. Martin demuestra -más que en los dos primeros libros- que sabe bien lo que hace y aparenta que tiene un camino bien delineado y bien marcado en cuanto a los personajes y acontecimientos.

Es un libro lleno de detalles -muchos parecerán poco importantes, pero otros podrían desencajar mandíbulas debido a las sorpresas-. No es novedad para nosotros -a esta altura de juego- que Martin se toma libertades con sus personajes; siempre digo “no se encariñen con ningún personaje de la saga”. Todavía tengo la impresión de que el final de todo será un gran campo vacío y no habrá personaje vivo que camine sobre el. Pero bueno…

El libro está dentro del género fantasía, pero no considero que sea TAN fantasioso -a la hora de comparar-. Sí tiene sus elementos, pero no distraen de la historia que nos interesa absorber.
Ustedes saben lo que quiero decir, esa trama llena de intriga, suspenso, poder, alianzas, enemistades, sexo, amor, sangre, guerra, honor, rabia, redención, muerte, religión, fuego, tormenta y espadas… si me permiten, puedo seguir…

Cada uno de nuestros personajes más queridos -u odiados- evolucionan (o *se aclara la garganta* fallecen), pero creo que ninguno mantiene una perspectiva unilateral, todos tienen algo que aprender, algo que hacer, algo que aportar… me atrevo a decir que esto se aplica tanto a personajes mayores como a muchos de los menores.

Los capítulos -como en las entregas anteriores- se dividen por capítulos que narran el punto de vista específico de uno de los personajes. En total tenemos a 10 personajes, más un epílogo y un prólogo desde el punto de vista de dos personajes diferentes y secundarios; totalizando 12 en total y abarcando más de 80 capítulos en sus casi 1,200 páginas de texto.

Está de más decir que algunos personajes me gustan más que otros, así mismo mis favoritos pueden ser odiados por otros y viceversa. Ejemplo, mis personajes favoritos siempre han sido Tyrion y Arya. En este libro incluiría a Jon Snow entre mis protagonistas predilectos y quizás a Sansa. En cambio, Daenerys, Bran y Catelyn son los que más me aburren; aunque, por supuesto, varios de sus capítulos hacen ENORMES aportes a la historia general. Jaime, Davos y Samwell Tarly son buenas adiciones y los ubico en un punto medio (en cuanto a preferencia).

La historia está bien contada, mantiene un buen ritmo (considero que los dos primeros libros llevan un mejor ritmo) PERO, los puntos elevados en esta parte son mayores que en las dos primeras entregas, POR MUCHO.

Aparte de eso, creo que establece un punto elevado a la saga. Tiene ese toque épico, esos golpes bajos, esos giros y esas informaciones que nos hacen entender muchas cosas que parecían haber quedadas en el aire.

Lo complejo de cada personaje, lo complicado de cada situación, las extrañas resoluciones a los problemas, las decisiones tomadas, la guerra civil, el inacabable juego de tronos y el choque constante de reyes… Todo esto y más hacen de “A Storm of Swords” un libro épico y difícil de olvidar.

Le doy 4 estrellas en gran parte por su extensión; es fácil notar la sobrecarga de descripciones y sendas cuestiones que se vuelven repetitivas. Algunas historias dicen poco en muchas páginas (*se aclara la garganta* Arya). Pero nada, todo esto puede fácilmente pasarse por alto cuando nos detenemos a pensar sobre la grandeza de libro que hemos acabado de leer. ( )
  JorgeLC | Apr 28, 2018 |
With the end of A Storm of Swords, Martin is half finished his epic. However, so little has been revealed that we have only begun to glimpse what the true saga really is. It's as if you are peering through a dirty window, cleaning small portions of it -- one square inch at a time -- so more and more of the room beyond is slowly revealed. Each glimpse uncovers a new wonder, but you can never be sure of exactly what you are seeing.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Jan 1, 2001)

Martin, George R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Phyllis

who made me put the dragons in
The day was grey and bitter cold, and the dogs would not take the scent.
Bk 3 A Song of Fire and Ice: A Storm of Swords has also been published as a two volume edition - Bk 3 - Prt 1:Steel and Snow / Bk 3 - Prt 2: Blood and Gold.
Please do not combine the two individual volumes of book 3 with the single editions of 'A Storm of Swords'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055357342X, Mass Market Paperback)

Is George R.R. Martin for real? Can a fantasy epic actually get better with each new installment? Fans of the genre have glumly come to expect go-nowhere sequels from other authors, so we're entitled to pinch ourselves over Martin's tightly crafted Song of Ice and Fire series. The reports are all true: this series is the real deal, and Martin deserves his crown as the rightful king of the epic. A Game of Thrones got things off to a rock-solid start, A Clash of Kings only exceeded expectations, but it's the Storm of Swords hat trick that cements Martin's rep as the most praiseworthy fantasy author to come along since that other R.R.

Like the first two books, A Storm of Swords could coast on the fundamentals: deftly detailed characters, convincing voices and dialogue, a robust back-story, and a satisfyingly unpredictable plot. But it's Martin's consistently bold choices that set the series apart. Every character is fair game for the headman's axe (sometimes literally), and not only do the good guys regularly lose out to the bad guys, you're never exactly sure who you should be cheering for in the first place.

Storm is full of admirable intricacies. Events that you thought Martin was setting up solidly for the first two books are exposed as complex feints; the field quickly narrows after the Battle of the Blackwater and once again, anything goes. Robb tries desperately to hold the North together, Jon returns from the wildling lands with a torn heart, Bran continues his quest for the three-eyed crow beyond the Wall, Catelyn struggles to save her fragile family, Arya becomes ever more wolflike in her wanderings, Daenerys comes into her own, and Joffrey's cruel rule from King's Landing continues, making even his fellow Lannisters uneasy. Martin tests all the major characters in A Storm of Swords: some fail the trial, while others--like Martin himself--seem to only get stronger. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:05 -0400)

"Of the five contenders for power, one is dead, another in disfavor, and still the wars rage as violently as ever, as alliances are made and broken. Joffrey, of House Lannister, sits on the Iron Throne, the uneasy ruler of the land of the Seven Kingdoms. His most bitter rival, Lord Stannis, stands defeated and disgraced, the victim of the jealous sorceress who holds him in her evil thrall. But young Robb, of House Stark, still rules the North from the fortress of Riverrun. Robb plots against his despised Lannister enemies, even as they hold his sister hostage at King's Landing, the seat of the Iron Throne. Meanwhile, making her way across a blood-drenched continent is the exiled queen, Daenerys, mistress of the only three dragons still left in the world. But as opposing forces maneuver for the final titanic showdown, an army of barbaric wildlings arrives from the outermost line of civilization. In their vanguard is a horde of mythical Others--a supernatural army of the living dead whose animated corpses are unstoppable. As the future of the land hangs in the balance, no one will rest until the Seven Kingdoms have exploded in a veritable storm of swords."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,035,272 books! | Top bar: Always visible