A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin

A Storm of Swords (2000)

by George R. R. Martin

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (3)

Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks (sturlington)
    Wizard And Glass by Stephen King (asha.leu)
    The Gap into Conflict: The Real Story / The Gap into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge by Stephen Donaldson (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: One is SF the other Fantasy, they may seem very different. But they're both epic in scope, both at the darker end of the human condition, and the writing style is similar. Both tell much larger stories than just the action of the 'hero'.
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Sandwich76)

English (352)  Spanish (4)  German (3)  French (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (363)
OK, I've read the first three of the series: enough to have an Opinion. For what it is, these books are interesting enough, but I'm finished with the series. They are slow-paced, day-by-day accounts, which can be painful; I'm not sure I could stand day-by-day accounts of things that actually happened, forget fantasy. If you love Westeros the way I loved Lord of the Rings when I was in my late teens, these are the books for you. If you're 64 and looking for light reading, there are about 7,000 too many names to remember. If this is a coming-of-age saga, what children are left alive should come of age, already - everyone has aged about two years since the beginning of the first book. Have mercy. ( )
  CatherineBurkeHines | Nov 28, 2018 |
Ok, I am admitting it, this is a DNF for me. This joke from a bathroom stall at work about says it all:

Reasons to keep reading this series: Page turner. Constantly changing fortunes of the characters.

Reasons to quit reading this series: Relentless waves of violence and rape. Made me lose sleep, gave me bad dreams.

Talked to a lady recently who saw me reading it, she said - Oh, you're reading Game of Thrones - I quit partway through that third book . I replied, funny you should say that, I was thinking of quitting it myself - I think it is making me depressed. She said I got sick of how all the characters I cared for were done away with, finally there was no-one left in the story that I cared about.

Then, I went to work the next day and read the joke. Next day the series went in the dumpster and I picked up [b:The Gates|6411440|The Gates (Samuel Johnson, #1)|John Connolly|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1348405681s/6411440.jpg|6600382]. Ironically, it was a perfect antidote inspite of it's theme: the opening of the gates of hell complete with demons coming to earth, grisly deaths, an anomalous collision at the LHC during a seemingly ordinary game of battleship, and Ta Da my sweet sleep restored to me. ( )
  nkmunn | Nov 17, 2018 |
A sumptuous achievement, in which all of Martin's characters from the first two books reach something of a natural climax. Each lord and lady, pretender, cripple, priestess and fishwife is given magnificent characterisation, and the tiny details of the world - Martin must be quite a heraldry nerd! - are lavishly detailed.

With the "point-of-view" narrative style, we're also able to witness Martin's great gift for puzzle-making. No character can realise the full extent of their world - whether it be the more obvious examples, like how young naive Sansa Stark slowly begins to understand the cryptic politics of King's Landing, or the "gray area" stories, such as our gradual understanding of Stannis and Melisandre, a pair whom most of the characters only know of as vague figures.

On rereading the book this month, though, it strikes me how much I missed the first time. The true extent of these books can only be felt by the nerds who read and re-read, since there really are so many tiny details just waiting to be figured out. Highly recommended, and I'm already re-reading book four. ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
Book 3 of Song of Ice and Fire is just as good as the first two. Maybe even a bit more exciting.

The war between the 5 kings continues. Joffrey Baratheon is still in power, with Robb Stark and Stannis Baratheon looking to overthrow him. Let's not forget young Daenerys Targaryen coming from across the see for her rightful seat on the throne.

The action and suspense is almost none stop. Once you start reading, you can't put the book down. All the characters take on lives of thier own. What will the wild child Arya do next? When are the white walkers and the others going to be here? Will Brienne find the girls? Then there's Jon Snow, possibly the best character in the book.

And of course, we cannot forget the dragons. I love a good tale about dragons. ( )
  pamkaye | Oct 4, 2018 |
Characters wandering about the landscape, sometimes in circles. Plotlines unresolved while new characters are created and new plotlines set off. In one of them (can't remember which one now) it ends with a strange postscript explaining that the reason that so many previously important characters did not figure is because he could not find space for them in this vast tome, er, sorry about that. I have never seen anything like that in a book series. So why keep creating unnecessary new characters? It looks to me like the series had at one point a cataclysmic ending in view - Ice and Fire, the White Walkers coming down from the North and the dragons coming from the East, no doubt to meet in some Westeros Ragnarok. The trouble is that that doesn't fit well with the idea of a Wars of the Roses type feuding families and shifting alliances and that he got more interested in that. The walkers keep on walking, the dragons flying round in circles. And now the main characters (who are not in dungeons) are wandering aimlessly about the place and have been for at least the last two huge and bloated novels.If we were at the third of a 400 page novel then it might be reasonable to hold out hope that he was a master craftsman with a master plan who was carefully setting up the characters for the big finale. Unfortunately, that hope is long, long, since gone. What we have is the sad sight of an author who has got completely stuck and instead of completing the storylines he has spun, either goes to conventions to bask in the approbation of his fans, or creates new characters and storylines with no baggage to worry about, which makes it ever harder for him to pull them back together. To me the real question is how anyone could have read the last two books and not realise that something had gone horribly wrong.

(Bought in 2003)

An author DOES owe you a coherent narrative and a decent ending; otherwise he might as well have just written down his dreams every night for umpteen years and then slung that at you. Surely you got invested in these books because you thought they were going somewhere? You can hardly blame people for worrying that they might not be at this point. If you've forked out money for the book series so far (which collectively has made Martin a rich man) then you're entitled to feel you paid that money on false premises if no ending is forthcoming. I think this is something that's driven the habit of buying boxsets of a show after it's finished airing. People are less and less willing to get invested in something if it's just going to malinger on and then die on its arse. ( )
  antao | Sep 7, 2018 |
With the end of A Storm of Swords, Martin is half finished his epic. However, so little has been revealed that we have only begun to glimpse what the true saga really is. It's as if you are peering through a dirty window, cleaning small portions of it -- one square inch at a time -- so more and more of the room beyond is slowly revealed. Each glimpse uncovers a new wonder, but you can never be sure of exactly what you are seeing.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Jan 1, 2001)

Martin, George R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Phyllis

who made me put the dragons in
The day was grey and bitter cold, and the dogs would not take the scent.
Bk 3 A Song of Fire and Ice: A Storm of Swords has also been published as a two volume edition - Bk 3 - Prt 1:Steel and Snow / Bk 3 - Prt 2: Blood and Gold.
Please do not combine the two individual volumes of book 3 with the single editions of 'A Storm of Swords'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055357342X, Mass Market Paperback)

Is George R.R. Martin for real? Can a fantasy epic actually get better with each new installment? Fans of the genre have glumly come to expect go-nowhere sequels from other authors, so we're entitled to pinch ourselves over Martin's tightly crafted Song of Ice and Fire series. The reports are all true: this series is the real deal, and Martin deserves his crown as the rightful king of the epic. A Game of Thrones got things off to a rock-solid start, A Clash of Kings only exceeded expectations, but it's the Storm of Swords hat trick that cements Martin's rep as the most praiseworthy fantasy author to come along since that other R.R.

Like the first two books, A Storm of Swords could coast on the fundamentals: deftly detailed characters, convincing voices and dialogue, a robust back-story, and a satisfyingly unpredictable plot. But it's Martin's consistently bold choices that set the series apart. Every character is fair game for the headman's axe (sometimes literally), and not only do the good guys regularly lose out to the bad guys, you're never exactly sure who you should be cheering for in the first place.

Storm is full of admirable intricacies. Events that you thought Martin was setting up solidly for the first two books are exposed as complex feints; the field quickly narrows after the Battle of the Blackwater and once again, anything goes. Robb tries desperately to hold the North together, Jon returns from the wildling lands with a torn heart, Bran continues his quest for the three-eyed crow beyond the Wall, Catelyn struggles to save her fragile family, Arya becomes ever more wolflike in her wanderings, Daenerys comes into her own, and Joffrey's cruel rule from King's Landing continues, making even his fellow Lannisters uneasy. Martin tests all the major characters in A Storm of Swords: some fail the trial, while others--like Martin himself--seem to only get stronger. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:05 -0400)

"Of the five contenders for power, one is dead, another in disfavor, and still the wars rage as violently as ever, as alliances are made and broken. Joffrey, of House Lannister, sits on the Iron Throne, the uneasy ruler of the land of the Seven Kingdoms. His most bitter rival, Lord Stannis, stands defeated and disgraced, the victim of the jealous sorceress who holds him in her evil thrall. But young Robb, of House Stark, still rules the North from the fortress of Riverrun. Robb plots against his despised Lannister enemies, even as they hold his sister hostage at King's Landing, the seat of the Iron Throne. Meanwhile, making her way across a blood-drenched continent is the exiled queen, Daenerys, mistress of the only three dragons still left in the world. But as opposing forces maneuver for the final titanic showdown, an army of barbaric wildlings arrives from the outermost line of civilization. In their vanguard is a horde of mythical Others--a supernatural army of the living dead whose animated corpses are unstoppable. As the future of the land hangs in the balance, no one will rest until the Seven Kingdoms have exploded in a veritable storm of swords."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,797,036 books! | Top bar: Always visible