A Storm of Swords (2000)

by George R. R. Martin

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (3)

Four contend for power over the Iron Throne and the Land of the Seven Kingdoms; alliances shift, and betrayal is always an option. House Lannister's head, Joffrey, rules uneasily. Joffrey's enemy, Lord Stannis, is disgraced and enthralled. Robb of House Stark still rules the North, implacable in his enmity towards his Lannister foes, even as they hold his sister hostage. And the exiled queen Daenerys, mistress of the world's last three dragons, makes her way across a blood-drenched continent. But as opposing forces maneuver for the final titanic showdown, there appears an army of barbaric wildlings, led by undead Others. The unpredictable violence of a final cataclysm is inevitable; the one certain thing is that many men will die upon many swords.… (more)
    Wizard and Glass by Stephen King (asha.leu)
    The Gap into Conflict: The Real Story / The Gap into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge by Stephen Donaldson (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: One is SF the other Fantasy, they may seem very different. But they're both epic in scope, both at the darker end of the human condition, and the writing style is similar. Both tell much larger stories than just the action of the 'hero'.
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Sandwich76)

This book was truly amazing. Almost all of the main characters, which we follow, went through tough times or some huge changes in their lifetime. There were so many twists, love it.
I have to admit, that the first half of the book was too slow for me. Everything was just preparing for the second half climax. But this is the only downside which I can possibly find. (I know that the book is usually split into two halves as a paperback version. So If I read only the first book, I would most likely put down the second book for later. And THAT would be such a bad decision, because the next part was the best thing I've read so far from G.R.R. Martin.)
The second half of the story was stunning. So much unexpected stuff happened (in a good way), it was a pleasure to read. A lot of sword fights, amazing dialogues, new interesting characters, connections between old characters that I wouldn't expect to work, and unfortunately A LOT of deads of our beloved or hated people in the main cast.
I have to point out one "trope", that was the G.R.R. Martin using a lot. He always shocks you at the end of a lot of chapters. That would be so cool, if we would follow fewer characters. But when something big happens and we see the involved character sometimes after like 40-90 pages or through a different perspective, that's so frustrating.
I really appreciate the focus on the less known/shown houses (other than Stark, Lannister, etc.), which we didn't see in previous books.
I definitely recommend reading the book, if you liked the previous job, you'll surely love this one. ( )
  Mandalor | Jun 21, 2022 |
Í þessu bindi segir af baráttu valdaætta um yfirráð yfir landinu þar sem hver ættarhöfðinginn af öðrum krýnir sig sem kóng og heldur af stað í stríð.
Ég hreifst af fjölbreyttum flækjum og ólíkum aðalpersónum sögunnar. Um leið og ég varð óánægður með annað bindi seríunnar vegna þess hve erfitt Martin átti með að segja frá mörgum aðalpersónum sem höfðu þvælst yfir heila heimsálfu þá varð ég ánægður með að hann segir hér einungis frá hluta þessara persóna. Enda segir höfundurinn sjálfur frá því í lok bókarinnar að hún hafi orðið of umfangsmikil í skrifum svo að hann hafi í raun skipt henni í tvennt og að þessi bók sé í raun bara fyrri hlutinn. Fyrir vikið verður söguþráðurinn þéttari og betri að mínu mati.
Í fyrri bókunum tveim var ég búinn að fá nóg af öllum fjölda aðalpersóna sagnabálksins þó að vissulega geri það lesandanum kleift að fylgjast með góðum, illum, saklausum og veikgeðja persónum. Núna hins vegar áttaði ég mig á því að Martin nýtir sér fjöldann til þess að geta drepið persónurnar miskunnarlaust og lesandanum gersamlega að óvörum. Þetta stílbragð gerir sögurnar ófyrirsjáanlegar og safaríkari en um leið fæ ég það á tilfinninguna að höfundurinn sjálfur rífi upp hníf og stingi mig á hol þegar persóna sem ég hef hrifist af við lesturinn er allt í einu myrt fyrir augunum á mér. ( )
  SkuliSael | Apr 28, 2022 |
Series just gets better and better - but I am not a fan of Daenyrs and her dragons. ( )
  swbesecker | Feb 28, 2022 |
I think this is the longest fucking book I have ever read. It was great, but MY GOD IS IT LONG. As with the first two, there were some characters that I enjoyed more than others, but this was the best one yet I think. So much happened. ( )
  banrions | Dec 7, 2021 |
OMG so brutal. My eyes are sore from reading so fast. ( )
  readingjag | Nov 29, 2021 |
With the end of A Storm of Swords, Martin is half finished his epic. However, so little has been revealed that we have only begun to glimpse what the true saga really is. It's as if you are peering through a dirty window, cleaning small portions of it -- one square inch at a time -- so more and more of the room beyond is slowly revealed. Each glimpse uncovers a new wonder, but you can never be sure of exactly what you are seeing.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Jan 1, 2001)

Martin, George R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burton, JonathanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Phyllis

who made me put the dragons in
The day was grey and bitter cold, and the dogs would not take the scent.
This is the single volume edition "A Storm of Swords" (book 3 of A Song of Ice and Fire). It has also been published in two volumes, Part 1: Steel and Snow, Part 2: Blood and Gold.
Please do not combine Part 1 or Part 2 with this complete edition of "A Storm of Swords".

4 1972

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,771,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible