dismiss

A Storm of Swords (2000)

by George R. R. Martin

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (3)

Here is the third volume in Martin's cycle of novels that includes A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings. Magic, mystery, intrigue, romance, and adventure fill these pages. The Seven Kingdoms are torn by strife as the three surviving contenders for the throne continue their struggle for power, Robb Stark defends his fledgling kingdom from the ravaging Greyjoys, Winterfell lies in ruins, Jon Snow confronts an escalating threat from behind the Wall, and Danerys Stormborn and her dragon allies continue to grow in power. Joffrey, of House Lannister, sits on the Iron Throne, the uneasy ruler of the land of the Seven Kingdoms. His most bitter rival, Lord Stannis, stands defeated and disgraced, the victim of the jealous sorceress who holds him in her evil thrall. But young Robb, of House Stark, still rules the North from the fortress of Riverrun. Robb plots against his despised Lannister enemies, even as they hold his sister hostage at King's Landing, the seat of the Iron Throne. Meanwhile, making her way across a blood-drenched continent is the exiled queen, Daenerys, mistress of the only three dragons still left in the world. But as opposing forces maneuver for the final titanic showdown, an army of barbaric wildlings arrives from the outermost line of civilization. In their vanguard is a horde of mythical Others--a supernatural army of the living dead whose animated corpses are unstoppable. As the future of the land hangs in the balance, no one will rest until the Seven Kingdoms have exploded in a veritable storm of swords.… (more)
    Wizard And Glass by Stephen King (asha.leu)
    The Gap into Conflict: The Real Story / The Gap into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge by Stephen Donaldson (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: One is SF the other Fantasy, they may seem very different. But they're both epic in scope, both at the darker end of the human condition, and the writing style is similar. Both tell much larger stories than just the action of the 'hero'.
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Sandwich76)

English (377)  Spanish (4)  German (3)  French (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (388)
The 1st half or so matched (near enough) the 3rd season of the TV show so I knew the story but it really starts to zip along in the final third - barely stops the action, every chapter seemingly a huge battle or a major event happens. So readable and enjoyable.

People are going to lose their nut when they see the new TV series. ( )
  arewenotben | Jul 31, 2020 |
I never thought I would be able to read a series of books with this many characters. Generally speaking I like to keep the main characters down to 4 or 5. The writing here is so strong that the characters are memorable and relatively easy to keep track of. For the first book I had the TV show to help me visualize, and I even put together a guide to the characters. It's no longer necessary.
The advantage to having more characters is that you can kill some of them which is more realistic. There were some sharp surprises in this one. The other thing that I find remarkable is the character development. If you have the luxury of developing the characters across multiple books you can afford to be realistic about how much they change.
My only regret is that the author hasn't finished the series, so there will be waiting, and worrying that he will die before he finishes the series. ( )
  billycongo | Jul 22, 2020 |
← Part 2

“Valar dohaeris,” I replied, placing both parts of A Storm of Swords on the counter along with my debit card.

“Valar satchelis?” she asked, cocking the crossbow with her hand and cocking her eyebrow with the muscles in her face.

“Uh, sorry, my High Valyrian is a bit rusty," I said, blushing. The lady behind the till rolled her eyes, scanned the books, and swiped my card. I was trying to figure out how she'd done all this without taking her hands off the crossbow when she spoke again, this time in the common tongue.

“Do you want a bag?” she asked.

“Yes please,” I said.

“Okay.” And she slid the books into a bag.

“Thanks.”

“You're welcome.”

I took the bag from the counter and waited to see if anything else was going to happen. Nothing happened. And kept not happening. “Bit mundane, this part, isn't it?” I ventured. The lady gave me the kind of look that could peel a banana at ten paces.

“It's the nature of the saga,” she said. “A Clash of Kings ended on so much carnage that this part will inevitably feature a lot of introspection to start with, and it'll presumably build up to full-blown shenanigans in part two.”

“If you say so.” I looked around the bookshop and noticed a group of people congregating in one corner. “Hey, what's going on over there?” I asked till-lady.

“Oh, some author is giving a reading of his new book. It's called Wed.”

“Strange name for a book,” I opined, but till-lady was already serving the next person in line. With nothing better to do I headed over to the corner, humming The Rains of Castamere to myself.

Part 4 → ( )
  imlee | Jul 7, 2020 |
← Part 3

I sauntered up to the crowd in the corner like no man has sauntered before. “That's some mighty fine sauntering,” said the security guard whose task was presumably to ensure the book reading didn't get out of hand.

“Why thank you,” I said. Something about the guard made me uneasy, but it would have been against all rules of propriety to behead him there in the fiction section, so I smiled charmingly instead.

“Are you here for the Wed Redding?” he asked.

“You mean the Wed reading,” I said, feeling ever more uneasy. The guard just smiled non-committally. “Yes, yes I am,” I said, and made for one of the seats, but the guard's outstretched hand stopped me.

“I'm sorry, sir, but you'll have to leave your animal out here,” he said. I glanced over at my direpanda, Black-and-White-Draught. He'd been my faithful companion ever since I found him as a cub two years earlier. Normally he exuded a calm confidence; that or gas. But now he was munching nervously on some bamboo, his eyes seeming to say “我有一个不好的预感”. Unfortunately I couldn't understand Mandarin so I patted Draughty on the head and told him to sit. He obeyed, just as he always obeyed my commands. As long as my commands were either “Sit” or “Chew bamboo.”

This time the guard didn't stop me as I took my seat in the corner of the bookshop. I glanced around at the other people present. About half of them seemed to be thumbing through A Storm of Swords, enjoying its subtle intricacies but perhaps wondering like me when GRR Martin was going to throw his next curveball. The rest of the people present didn't look like Song of Ice and Fire fans, but before I could figure out who they were the reader appeared at the front.

“Hello everyone,” he said, smiling sarcastically. And no, I don't know how you can smile sarcastically either. “I'll get to the reading in a moment, but first feel free to follow me on Twitter, my username is @dieiceandfirefansdiediedie.” I let out a sigh of relief. Now that we were Twitter buddies nothing bad could happen, unless this guy was willing to break the ancient and sacred laws of hospitality and incur the wrath of Gods, men, and probably 4chan. I relaxed in my chair, but in doing so noticed a book in the pocket of the person sat in front of me. It had a black cover, but beyond that I couldn't see any more. I glanced around, and noticed the same book in many more pockets. I sat up, my nerves on edge once more. In the distance I could hear my direpanda making nervous panda noises.

“If everyone is sitting comfortably, I'll begin,” said the reader, and from his pocket he pulled that same black book. As it emerged I saw more details: a silver tie, and four words that made my blood run cold. I turned to my left, hoping to escape, but the man sat next to me rose to his feet, a riding crop in one hand and his copy of Fifty Shades of Grey in the other. “Listen,” he whispered, for the reader was speaking.

“Let's dive into Chapter two” said the reader. He licked his lips and began. “‘Christian's voice is warm and husky like dark melted chocolate fudge caramel… or something.’”

All around me I could hear fans of decent fiction and grammar groaning in agony and falling dead to the floor. There were entrails everywhere, though God knows why, it just seemed appropriate. I looked back at the person next to me. His dagger and eyes were shining brightly. “E.L. James sends her regards,” he said with a grin.

“Wait, didn't you have a riding crop a second ago, where'd the dagger come from?” I asked, although to be honest it was the kind of poor continuity I'd expect from a fan of Fifty Shades.

“Oh, right, sorry,” he said, looking flustered, “could you hold this for a second?” He passed me the dagger, and began searching his pockets. I knew it would take but a second for him to find the crop, but a second was all I needed. I raised the dagger high, and with all my strength I plunged it down and into my chest. The reader was still talking, something about an inner goddess and a chicken and a fridge, but it didn't matter anymore. I closed my eyes and smiled, as my song came to an end.

Part 5 → ( )
  imlee | Jul 7, 2020 |
← Part 2

“Do you want a bag?” she asked.

“Yes please,” I said.

“Okay.” And she slid the books into a bag.

“Thanks.”

“You're welcome.”

“Oh, some author is giving a reading of his new book. It's called Wed.”

Part 4 → ( )
  leezeebee | Jul 6, 2020 |
With the end of A Storm of Swords, Martin is half finished his epic. However, so little has been revealed that we have only begun to glimpse what the true saga really is. It's as if you are peering through a dirty window, cleaning small portions of it -- one square inch at a time -- so more and more of the room beyond is slowly revealed. Each glimpse uncovers a new wonder, but you can never be sure of exactly what you are seeing.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Jan 1, 2001)

Martin, George R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Phyllis

who made me put the dragons in
The day was grey and bitter cold, and the dogs would not take the scent.
Bk 3 A Song of Fire and Ice: A Storm of Swords has also been published as a two volume edition - Bk 3 - Prt 1:Steel and Snow / Bk 3 - Prt 2: Blood and Gold.
Please do not combine the two individual volumes of book 3 with the single editions of 'A Storm of Swords'

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,868,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible