dismiss

Anne of the Island (1915)

by L. M. Montgomery

Series: Anne of Green Gables (3)

Continues the adventures of Anne Shirley and her friends at college.
Recently added byJefferieslibrary, AlanaB, Yazvac, GRCK-Library, private library, rbmomma80, mastersonfam, imlee, jhthompson2, shishi963
Legacy LibrariesSylvia Plath
    Bright Island by Mabel L. Robinson (Anonymous user)

When I first started reading the Anne of Green Gables series I was a pre-teen. I had never left my hometown at that point, and knew that Canada lay north. I imagined that Canada was just the Niagara Falls because that's all I ever saw about it on television. To read a story about an orphaned girl that comes to live with a brother and sister and slowly worms her way into the hearts of them and her neighbors living on Prince Edward Island in the 1900s.

I chose to read book #3 of the series because honestly this is my favorite. We get to see Anne, Gilbert Blythe, Charlie Sloane and Priscilla Grant (all old friends of Anne's) going to Redmond College in Nova Scotia.

Anne is definitely more mature in this book, and a lot of subjects that are looked at definitely are more somber than previous books. I loved Anne a lot in this book because even though she didn't want to admit how everyone and everything is changing, she realizes that she can't keep herself and others frozen based on how they behaved as children. Anne has a falling out with Charlie Sloane (has a chilly reconciliation) and starts to see that she feels something for Gilbert Blythe, but doesn't think it's love. When Anne meets someone else who is her romantic ideal, she initially is happy, but starts to wonder if this is what she's looking for.

We have the introduction of a new characters in this one, Phillipa Gordon, who I found to be funny. We also get to revisit with old characters such as Anne's kindred spirit, Diana Barry, Marilla, Mrs. Lynde, and Dora and Davy Keith who Marilla took in during book #2 (Anne of Avonlea).

The writing is not really complex in these books and honestly I like that. Once you read the first Anne of Green Gables books you will get a better idea about the people and past escapades of Anne.

The flow for this one was not that great though. I think it's because you have a huge passage of time in just a short amount of pages. A lot of events felt rushed and summed up in just a few short paragraphs.

The setting of Redmond College does come alive in this book. One great thing that L.M. Montgomery always did in these books was set a perfect scene of where places are and how they looked.

The ending was one of my favorites in this series. We have Anne having her eyes truly opened about what she wants and who she wants to share her future with. I always thought it was a wonderful the way things wrapped up.

I always enjoy spending time with Anne and am probably going to go back and read the other books in this series later this year. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
The Anne books are just plain lovely. I absolutely loved them when I was young and they still make me warm inside thinking about them now. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
As I get older, I understand Anne as she grows up, too. This book was so much nicer than the last time I read it, though there is starting to be a bit too much chatter for my taste. ( )
  avonar | May 27, 2020 |
Despite this book being the one where Anne and Gilbert finally get engaged, it's also the one that convinced me Anne was aro-spec. Her experiences with disillusionment throughout this book felt so familiar to me that I can't read her as anything but on the aromantic spectrum. Anne's revelation of love feels more like a revelation that she doesn't want to live without Gilbert in her life and traditional romantic love/marriage is the only way it's going to happen, so that's how she reacts. ( )
  irasobrietate | Jun 4, 2019 |

Kalima, ToiniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raudman, ReneeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stahl, Ben F.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, TaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
All precious things discovered late
To those that seek them issue forth,
For Love in sequel works with Fate,
And draws the veil from hidden worth.
- Tennyson
To all the girls all over the world
who have 'wanted more' about Anne
"Harvest is ended and summer is gone," quoted Anne Shirley, gazing across the shorn fields dreamily.
We mustn't let next week rob us of this week's joy.

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438928, 1909438936

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,850,074 books! | Top bar: Always visible