Letters from the Earth by Mark Twain

Letters from the Earth (1962)

by Mark Twain

2,192274,240 (4.17)90
    The Age of Reason by Thomas Paine (Waldheri)
    Waldheri: Similar because: both are easy to read and have similar anti-religious goals.
    Unpopular Essays by Bertrand Russell (fundevogel)
    fundevogel: Like Twain Russell uses wit and humor to present his social and philosophical views, often on reason, sexuality and religion.
    El anticristo: el manga by Friedrich Nietzsche (Waldheri)
    Waldheri: Similar because: both anti-religious writings, concentrating on Christianity, of which both contend their unnatural doctrines. Both have humour and readable in one sitting.

The version I read seemed to have a number of additional pieces at the end of Letters from the Earth. I loved Letters from the Earth, but the stuff added on in the second half was hit and miss. It's easy to see why Twain thought this work would never be published due to censorship. He pulls no punches as he takes on religion with satyrical vengeance. I really enjoyed it a lot. If you don't want your religious views challenged - no matter what they are - you probably want to shy away from this one. ( )
1 vote bicyclewriter | Jan 8, 2016 |
I read this book because I was seeking inspiration in three ways: 1) I wanted to read some good religious satire to motivate further writing for my TheKnish.com website. 2) I wanted to observe some editor methods as this work was compiled in expert ways by a single resource. 3) I wanted to see if Twain himself covered ground on a sequel idea I have for one of his works. To the first point, I found exactly what I was looking for, and some idea germs have begun generating, though some of his work is almost too clever. To the second point, I found what I was seeking as well. The footnotes at the end reveal fascinating approaches to curating disjointed writings, exactly what I needed. To the third point, I am delighted to find that Twain actually abandoned the idea that I have in my head to pursue other works. I am, therefore, really excited. ( )
1 vote MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
The essay on Cooper's prose style (or lack there of) made me go read the Deerslayer. Twain was right on that. I also remember a story about the worlds most annoying poem or some such involving a ticket taker (Punch, Brother, Punch) ( )
  pussreboots | Sep 29, 2014 |
Typical Twain. Brilliance amid some blather. The opening essay was outstanding, the autobiography of Eve, was very familiar and often hilarious, and the last unfinished story was superb Sci Fi resembling Asimov's, The Fantastic Voyage. ( )
2 vote Sandydog1 | Jul 16, 2014 |
The first set of essays 'Letters from the Earth' are excellent. The essays then (inexplicably) continue into different topics. Some of them are fantastic and some are just 'eh. Overall - this is classic Twain and defintely worth the read. ( )
1 vote steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |

Mark Twainprimary authorall editionscalculated
DeVoto, BernardEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, Henry NashPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Creator sat upon the throne, thinking.
Please note: Letters from the Earth was written by Mark Twain. If you have this work, please list Mark Twain as the primary author, and use the "Other Authors" field to list Bernard DeVoto as Editor. This will allow your book to be combined with the copies on the Mark Twain author page.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060518650, Paperback)

If you're already familiar with Finn and Sawyer, perhaps this collection of fragments, short stories, and essays--assembled posthumously some few decades ago now, but still fresh--will enhance your sense of Twain's true range. A particular favorite: his essay "The Damned Human Race," wherein he proves, rather convincingly, that an anaconda snake is a higher form of life than an English Earl.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:43 -0400)

"Miscellany of fiction, essays, and notes by Mark Twain, published posthumously in 1962. Written over a period of 40 years, the pieces in the anthology are characterized by a sense of ironic pessimism. The title piece comprises letters written by Satan to his fellow angels about the shameless pride and foolishness of humans. "Papers of the Adam Family," a first-person family history of Adam and Eve, traces the first failed attempts at civilization. Other pieces include "A Cat-Tale," an amusing, alliterative bedtime story; "Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses," a critique of that author's style; and "The Damned Human Race," a collection of bitter satirical bits." -from a source other than the Library of Congress. "I have told you nothing about man that is not true. You must pardon me if I repeat that remark now and then in these letters; I want you to take seriously the things I am telling you, and I feel that if I were in your place and you in mine, I should need that reminder from time to time, to keep my credulity from flagging." In Letters from the Earth, Twain presents himself as the Father of History -- reviewing and interpreting events from the Garden of Eden through the Fall and the Flood, translating the papers of Adam and his descendants through the generations. First published fifty years after his death, this eclectic collection is vintage Twain: sharp, witty, imaginative, complex, and wildly funny. -from product description.… (more)

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,813,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible