Nine Stories (1953)

by J. D. Salinger

Series: Glass Family (1)

10,61994489 (4.15)2 / 106
The "original, first-rate, serious, and beautiful" short fiction (New York Times Book Review) that introduced J. D. Salinger to American readers in the years after World War II, including "A Perfect Day for Bananafish" and the first appearance of Salinger's fictional Glass family. Nine exceptional stories from one of the great literary voices of the twentieth century. Witty, urbane, and frequently affecting, Nine Stories sits alongside Salinger's very best work--a treasure that will passed down for many generations to come. The stories: A Perfect Day for Bananafish Uncle Wiggily in Connecticut Just Before the War with the Eskimos The Laughing Man Down at the Dinghy For Esmé--with Love and Squalor Pretty Mouth and Green My Eyes De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period Teddy… (more)
    Zen Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets) by Peter Harris (hayfa)
    hayfa: If you liked "Teddy" I think you'll like this book. It's poetry by monks and it has all that sort of things that Teddy was talking about.

English (85)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (93)
I didn't hate it, but it mostly didn't do anything for me. "Blue Period" and "Esmé" are maybe the two standouts in the bunch. ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |
a world of high drama. ( )
  stravinsky | Dec 28, 2020 |
Well-written, but too slice-of-life for my taste in short stories. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Oct 12, 2020 |
Read this after watching the "Salinger" documentary. I enjoyed this immensely and the last two stories had me laughing out loud. I'd take this over "Franny and Zooey" any day. ( )
  Cail_Judy | Apr 21, 2020 |
The reader is taunted with being fascinated by, but always kept at arms length and wondering what is going on inside the characters as their lives fall apart. ( )
  reg_lt | Feb 7, 2020 |

Salinger, J. D.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Böll, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Böll, HeinrichTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Benton-Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fruttero, CarloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Judd, RogerCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schnack, ElisabethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We know the sound of two hands clapping.
But what is the sound of one hand clapping?
-- a Zen koan
To Dorothy Olding and Gus Lobrano
There were ninety-seven New York advertising men in the hotel, and, the way they were monopolizing the long-distance lines, the girl in 507 had to wait from noon till almost two-thirty to get her call through.
Life is a gift horse in my opinion.
Non-U.S. editions of J.D. Salinger's short story collection Nine Stories are titled For Esmé - with Love and Squalor, and Other Stories. "For Esmé – with Love and Squalor" is also the title of a single Salinger short story from Nine Stories. Please distinguish between the collection of stories (this LT work) and the separate short story having the same title. Thank you.

Published as Nine Stories in the U.S., and as For Esmé - with Love and Squalor, and Other Stories in the U.K. and other countries.

Hachette Book Group

3 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316769509, 0316767727, 0316769568

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,377,281 books! | Top bar: Always visible