Nine Stories (1953)

by J. D. Salinger

Series: Glass Family (1)

11,000100511 (4.15)2 / 115
The "original, first-rate, serious, and beautiful" short fiction (New York Times Book Review) that introduced J. D. Salinger to American readers in the years after World War II, including "A Perfect Day for Bananafish" and the first appearance of Salinger's fictional Glass family. Nine exceptional stories from one of the great literary voices of the twentieth century. Witty, urbane, and frequently affecting, Nine Stories sits alongside Salinger's very best work--a treasure that will passed down for many generations to come. The stories: A Perfect Day for Bananafish Uncle Wiggily in Connecticut Just Before the War with the Eskimos The Laughing Man Down at the Dinghy For Esmé--with Love and Squalor Pretty Mouth and Green My Eyes De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period Teddy… (more)
    Zen Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets) by Peter Harris (hayfa)
    hayfa: If you liked "Teddy" I think you'll like this book. It's poetry by monks and it has all that sort of things that Teddy was talking about.

English (91)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (99)
Each time I read this collection of short stories, I take something entirely different away. It's so interesting how I've connected with and loathed certain stories during past stages of my life, and how those preferences have changed. "A Perfect Day for Bananafish" is still my favorite, though- that one has never changed. ( )
  liannecollins | Jun 10, 2022 |
In J.D. Salinger's world, you don't want to be more gifted than everyone else. It only leads to trouble. And that's if you're lucky.

This theme in Salinger's work was evident even in his “Nine Stories,” published in 1954. The first and last stories in this classic collection, "A Perfect Day for Bananafish" and "Teddy," are most striking, even shocking, in this regard. In the first, Salinger introduces Seymour Glass, a brainy character found or at least mentioned in much of Salinger's later work, who engages in an imaginative conversation with a little girl at the beach, then returns to his hotel room and calmly shoots himself in the head while his wife sleeps in the bed next to his.

Teddy is a precocious 10-year-old on an ocean voyage with his parents and little sister. In a deck-chair conversation he tells a man about how his belief in reincarnation makes him unafraid of death. Readers may get a premonition about what happens next.

"De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period" tells of a young man with phony credentials who works for a shady company that, for a fee, gives advice by mail to aspiring artists with very little talent. Then he discovers that one of his students has extraordinary talent, but she is a nun whose priest and mother superior frown on her worldly pursuit of art.

Other stories in this priceless collection are almost as notable for their titles as for their subtle and masterful content — "Down at the Dinghy," "Just Before the War with the Eskimos," "Uncle Wiggly in Connecticut" and "For Esme — with Love and Squalor" among them.

I first read this book back in the 1960s. My paperback, purchased in a college bookstore, cost 50 cents. It was a pleasure returning to it all these years later. ( )
  hardlyhardy | Apr 11, 2022 |
My favourites are A Perfect Day for Bananafish, For Esme, and Teddy. Now I know, good short story read can be one’s treasure. It is definitely something worth collecting. ( )
  footgun | Feb 28, 2022 |
I could never read Teddy. It reminded me of a friend who died in high school--his name was teddy. ( )
  ennuiprayer | Jan 14, 2022 |
I never read short stories. But somehow ended up with a copy of “Nine Stories”. If you are an aspiring short story writer, don't read this book. You will quit writing in despair. As far as I can tell, these stories are perfect. I remember having a strong emotional reaction of something like awe and deep appreciation when I finished the collection. I had no idea that short fiction could be this good. Every one of them is a jewel. I'm so glad I read “Nine Stories” because if I never read another short story again, I can truly appreciate the art form. ( )
  blnq | Dec 26, 2021 |

Salinger, J. D.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Böll, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Böll, HeinrichTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Benton-Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fruttero, CarloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Judd, RogerCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schnack, ElisabethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We know the sound of two hands clapping.
But what is the sound of one hand clapping?
-- a Zen koan
To Dorothy Olding and Gus Lobrano
There were ninety-seven New York advertising men in the hotel, and, the way they were monopolizing the long-distance lines, the girl in 507 had to wait from noon till almost two-thirty to get her call through.
Life is a gift horse in my opinion.
Non-U.S. editions of J.D. Salinger's short story collection Nine Stories are titled For Esmé - with Love and Squalor, and Other Stories. "For Esmé – with Love and Squalor" is also the title of a single Salinger short story from Nine Stories. Please distinguish between the collection of stories (this LT work) and the separate short story having the same title. Thank you.

Published as Nine Stories in the U.S., and as For Esmé - with Love and Squalor, and Other Stories in the U.K. and other countries.

Hachette Book Group

3 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316769509, 0316767727, 0316769568

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,571,409 books! | Top bar: Always visible