The Gunslinger (1982)

by Stephen King

Series: The Dark Tower (1)

20,801460166 (3.8)1 / 423
The first book of Stephen King's series introduces the haunting figure, Roland of Gilead, the last gunslinger.
    The Dark Tower, Books 1-3: The Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three, and The Waste Lands by Stephen King (Valjeanne)
    Valjeanne: While The Gunslinger Book 1 is not one of my favorite books by Stephen King, one should read it to provide the backdrop to the sequels. The Drawing of the Three (especially) and The Waste Lands are much more engaging and two of King's most brilliant novels.… (more)
    Insomnia by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Insomnia introduces the Crimson King, the big baddie from The Dark Tower series.
    Wizard and Glass by Stephen King (Morteana)
    The Probability Broach by L. Neil Smith (fulner)
    fulner: The gun slignger starts an adventure where or protagonist must find where he is. The probability broach is based on a 20th century PI who accidentally stumbles into another demention after trying to find a usually murder with unusual weaponry.
    The Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree by Samara Abigail Hunt (emren)
    emren: Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree is a love letter to the Dark Tower series. Now read the original!
    A Book of Tongues by Gemma Files (Anonymous user)
    The Waste Lands by Stephen King (Afalstein)
    Afalstein: Book in the same series, with many of the same characters and a very similar tone.
    Hyperion by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)

English (435)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (455)
I very well written Dystopian Fantasy. A must read for fans of Fantasy and Mr. King ( )
  Pilgriminal | Nov 12, 2022 |
A friend at work has been insisting that I read The Dark Tower series for over a year, ever since he found out that I have never read any of the seven books despite being a big fan of King's other novels and short stories. I had this e-book on hold at the library for several months before my name finally popped to the top of the list. It was worth the wait.

I don't know that I can do the book or the series justice with a plot summary, so I won't try. Suffice to say that it is an intriguing mix of spaghetti western, fantasy, and horror, all delivered with King's signature style that makes me feel as though I am listening to a good friend tell me a story. I didn't always understand what the heck was going on, but it still kept me reading to the end and scrambling to download the second book in the series, The Drawing of the Three (that review is coming up).

Highly recommended for fans of westerns, fantasy, and Stephen King, not necessarily in that order. ( )
  rosalita | Nov 8, 2022 |
I like a lot of Stephen King's books but this series is just not for me. I know lots of people rave about it, and maybe the next books get better, but I will never know. I just cannot get into this one. I am also not a fan of westerns either, whether supernatural, dystopian or sci-fi twist on it, I just do not like the genre so I'm sure that played a part. I finally just did a skim-ish reading of it after trying to read it multiple times and even trying to listen to it multiple times - I say that much effort deserves a prompt check. Onto other better King books for me! ( )
  JediBookLover | Oct 29, 2022 |
This is the 2nd time reading this. I saw my ex-esposo watching a movie from The Gunslinger, and I thought, "a lot of stuff is left out there." I decided to re-read this, though King has disappointed me in recent years. I'm glad I did. This is the kind of fantasy I like: not fooking dragons and swords.
Roland Deschain is trying to bring back the light to the world that someone like Donald tRumpedo and his good ol' boys started down the road to the dark side, anarchy, destruction. Not much left now: irradiated life-forms, crumbled roadways, run-down machinery, famine, drought. But Roland is on a quest so he doesn't let all that discourage him. He's got his pistolas, And some fancy shooting he can do with them. At least he could until the lobstrosity ate his index and middle fingers on his right hand. Dad-a-chum? ( )
  burritapal | Oct 23, 2022 |
Ennesima rilettura e come al solito ho mille dubbi. La nuova versione post conclusione Saga è decisamente meglio della precedente, ma è indubbio che la vicenda della Torre cominci a ingranare dal libro seguente. Una buona storia di un King giovane, lui stesso dichiara di averla scritta a 19 anni (ka?), che però porta a poco. Lascio le 5 stelle date la volta scorsa, consapevole, dopo quest'altra rilettura, di essere stato un po' di manica larga. ( )
  L3landG4unt | Oct 11, 2022 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...a stone, a leaf, an unfound door; of a leaf, a stone, a door. And of all the forgotten faces.
Naked and alone we came into exile. In her dark womb, we did not know our mother's face; from the prison of her flesh have we come into the unspeakable and incommunicable prison of this earth.
Which of us has known his brother? Which of us has looked into his father's heart? Which of us has not remained forever prison-pent? Which of us is not forever a stranger and alone?

...O lost, and by the wind grieved, ghost, come back again.
--Thomas Wolfe Look Homeward, Angel
To Ed Ferman, who took a chance on these stories, one by one.
The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

The story centers upon Roland Deschain, the last gunslinger who has been chasing after his adversary, "the man in black", for many years. The novel follows Roland's trek through a vast desert and beyond in search of the man in black. Roland meets several people along his journey, including a boy named Jake Chambers who travels with him part of the way.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,884,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible