The Gunslinger by Stephen King

The Gunslinger (1982)

by Stephen King

Series: The Dark Tower (1)

17,439380167 (3.83)1 / 360
The first book of Stephen King's series introduces the haunting figure, Roland of Gilead, the last gunslinger.
    The Dark Tower, Books 1-3: The Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three, and The Waste Lands by Stephen King (Valjeanne)
    Valjeanne: While The Gunslinger Book 1 is not one of my favorite books by Stephen King, one should read it to provide the backdrop to the sequels. The Drawing of the Three (especially) and The Waste Lands are much more engaging and two of King's most brilliant novels.… (more)
    Insomnia by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Insomnia introduces the Crimson King, the big baddie from The Dark Tower series.
    Wizard And Glass by Stephen King (Morteana)
    The Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree by S. A. Hunt (emren)
    emren: Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree is a love letter to the Dark Tower series. Now read the original!
    A Book of Tongues by Gemma Files (Anonymous user)
    Hyperion by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)

English (362)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Danish (2)  French (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (380)
I used to love reading Stephen King, and have found in reading other writers and returning to him, the coarseness of his language and imagery bother me. This may have unfairly biased my rating. I began The Drawing of the Three immediately after and am having similar feelings, those unfairly exacerbated by hating the audiobook narrator's voice! ( )
  Samberry | Aug 3, 2019 |
Man, for some reason, I could not finish this audiobook. I have tried a couple of times to read The Gunslinger after hearing many good things from friends who've read it. And...I'm kinda bummed I couldn't get into it more. Maybe I'll give it another shot later, but, for now, it's just not my thing.
  rkcraig88 | Jul 15, 2019 |
Very interesting to go back to this after so many years. I love this series and would put it in the top 10 of my favorites of all time. Hearing it in audio format just gave it a different little twist. ( )
  klarsenmd | Jun 30, 2019 |
I've read a LOT of Stephen King books so far and I've got to say that this is probably one of my least favorites. I'm not saying it's bad, but it's really different from his best ones.

As King himself said, he wrote this when he was a lot younger and fuller of energy, perhaps, and we can definetly see this in his writing. We have a lot more of larger themes being discussed with fancy words and some really philosophical moments, which is really different from his other books, in which he tends to be more raw and express moments in more short sentences and being more direct, like in Revival, Mr Mercedes or in the Shining.

This book is really slow paced, not because things happen slowly, but because a lot of things don't really happen at all.

But, in the end, I really link the setting of the whole book, especially the setting of a wasteland that "moved on" and a cosmical feeling. Also, I really like the image of a lonely gunslinger fighting against the universe and its size and against his "ka".

In the end, I love King and his books, but I do think that the next ones will be a lot better, since he wrote them at an older age. ( )
  melosomelo | Jun 27, 2019 |
This is my first go at a Stephen King novel. A little getting used to his style I guess. I'll plow through the rest of the series, so hopefully things will fall into place. This one is just setting the table for the series, so I can't really say too much bad about it. King sets us up for the long haul and it looks like there will be many twists and turns along the way for the gunslinger and us. Definitely a fast paced book, but this one is probably the shortest of the series. Onwards to Book 2. ( )
  krgulick | Jun 19, 2019 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...a stone, a leaf, an unfound door; of a leaf, a stone, a door. And of all the forgotten faces.
Naked and alone we came into exile. In her dark womb, we did not know our mother's face; from the prison of her flesh have we come into the unspeakable and incommunicable prison of this earth.
Which of us has known his brother? Which of us has looked into his father's heart? Which of us has not remained forever prison-pent? Which of us is not forever a stranger and alone?

...O lost, and by the wind grieved, ghost, come back again.
--Thomas Wolfe Look Homeward, Angel
To Ed Ferman, who took a chance on these stories, one by one.
The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.

The story centers upon Roland Deschain, the last gunslinger who has been chasing after his adversary, "the man in black", for many years. The novel follows Roland's trek through a vast desert and beyond in search of the man in black. Roland meets several people along his journey, including a boy named Jake Chambers who travels with him part of the way.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,810,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible