One-Dimensional Man: Studies in the Ideology…

One-Dimensional Man: Studies in the Ideology of Advanced Industrial… (1964)

by Herbert Marcuse

English (8)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (10)
Contains one of the best take-downs of linguistic philosophy I've read. ( )
  KatrinkaV | Sep 9, 2016 |
As a beginner's student of philosophy and logic, I must say I had a tough time reading Marcuse's book.

This book was recommended by my American History professor. I was hooked by Marcuse's language and reason in the beginning of the book. It is very wordy; a lot of ideas were repeated throughout the book and general concepts looped were within chapters.

To the lover of philosophy and holder of an open mind, I challenge you to read this book! ( )
1 vote mezcalita | Sep 10, 2014 |

[If linguistic analysis in the tradition of Wittgenstein] contributes to enclosing thought in the circle of the mutilated universe of ordinary discourse, it is at best entirely inconsequential. And, at worst, it is an escape into the non-controversial, the unreal, into that which is only academically controversial.
This is my kind of philosophy.

To say that this meta-context is the Society (with a capital 'S') is to hypostatize the whole over and above the parts. But this hypostatization takes place in reality, is the reality, and the analysis can overcome it only by recognizing it and by comprehending its scope and its causes.
Although it does have its problems, including too much of Marx's embrace of technology:

the break in turn depends on the continued existence of the the technical base itself....The qualitative change rather lies in the reconstruction of this base--that is, in its development with a view of different ends.
A worthwhile read. ( )
1 vote dmac7 | Jun 14, 2013 |
This is one of the most difficult books I have read and most of it probably needs a training in philosophy. I suspect a lot of its influence was mediated through reviews and summaries. It is clear that he thinks that the proletariat has been repressed by new methods of control and that there is more hope in the lumpen-proletariat. ( )
  jgoodwll | May 12, 2012 |
Marcuse's examination of advanced industrial societies in the post-War world. Still holds up after nearly half a century, though it does snow some creakiness at the seams.
  Fledgist | Jun 28, 2010 |

Herbert Marcuseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kellner, DouglasIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schmidt, AlfredTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dient nicht die Bedrohung durch eine atomare Katastrophe, die das Menschengeschlecht auslöschen könnte, ebensosehr dazu, gerade diejenigen Kräfte zu schützen, die diese Gefahr verewigen?

(Deutsche Übersetzung von Alfred Schmidt)

Originally published in 1964, One-Dimensional Man quickly became one of the most important texts in the ensuing decade of radical political change. This second edition, newly introduced by Marcuse scholar Douglas Kellner, presents Marcuse's best-selling work to another generation of readers in the context of contemporary events.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:14 -0400)

Sometimes a book upsets everything you take for granted. Could two people have survived a WWII massacre? Why is a young man lying in a coma decades later? What is the truth about a woman who roves the world with a chameleon's ability to change who she is? This book is about the degrees of separation between us that we ignore at our peril.… (more)

49 wanted5 pay5 pay

Beacon Press

An edition of this book was published by Beacon Press.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,769,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible