An Ethiopian Romance by Emesa Heliodorus

An Ethiopian Romance

by Emesa Heliodorus

203485,479 (3.18)1 / 18

In this ancient Greek romance/adventure novel, Theagenes and Chariclea, two beautiful youths who are in love, are forced by various circumstances to wander through Greece, Egypt, and Ethiopia and face one perilous situation after another before being granted a happy ending by the gods. I found this novel to be fairly similar to the other ancient Greek texts on the 1001 list. It wasn’t great, but it was interesting to experience a different culture’s literature. The only real complaint I have is that the paragraphs in my translation were too long, which made the book more difficult to read than it should have been. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
Aethiopica is an early Greek Romance. It tells the tale of two lovers: Chariclea, daughter of Ethiopian Royalty and Theagenes. The plot begins at what seems to be halfway through the progression of events, and much of the story is told as tales by other characters (stories within the stories). The poor lovers always seem to fall from one misfortune into the next and of course all is resolved at the very last minute. It’s very dramatic, fast-paced, and surprisingly easy to read for such an old text.

I thought it was entertaining enough but not something I really felt that I was missing out on by not having read it previously. I do always find it amusing in these older romances how just the mere sight of someone from across the room is enough to make characters want to marry each other. It seemed like these two lovers were cursed by being so beautiful that they couldn’t walk down the street without someone wanting to kidnap them and/or force them into marriage or relationships. I would say formulaic and unoriginal but since it was one of the earliest (maybe the earliest) of Greek Romances, it can be considered an original and likely drove the structure of other similar romances.
  JenPrim | Jan 15, 2016 |
4 down, 997 to go. This was not a very satisfactory experience at all, and as as a matter of fact, gets a full star only because if I leave the star off, one might think I forgot to apply a rating. I had no idea what was happening at any point, save for a few paragraphs that may have been coherent. The book went back and forth in time, without advising the reader exactly when this was happening. I was so lost and confused that I checked reviews to figure out what was generally happening at certain points in the narrative, because I sure couldn't tell just by reading the darn thing! There wasn't even clever wordplay as a redeeming value. I hope this is the nadir of the 1,001 book reading project. It better be. I certainly won't be able to withstand too many more experiences like this, which is an insult to the word "experience." ( )
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
Chariclea is an Ethiopian princess whose mother left her to the elements just after her birth. She was adopted by a priest, served in Aphrodite's temple and eventually fell in love with Theagenes. This is the story of their exploits and their trials.

This was one of the books on the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die list. I'd never read it before and quite enjoyed the complex story line. ( )
  librarian4Him02 | Aug 7, 2010 |

Heliodorus, Emesaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amyot, JacquesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audiguier, Vital d’Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grimal, PierreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

An intricately woven tale of mystery, love and adventure, Ethiopian Story is the last and finest of the ancient Greek romances, precursors to the modern European novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:48 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,537,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible