dismiss

Of Mice and Men (1937)

by John Steinbeck

31,24256754 (3.9)1 / 1150
In depression-era California, two migrant workers dream of better days on a spread of their own until an act of unintentional violence leads to tragic consequences.
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Headinherbooks_27, sturlington)
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (SkinneeJay)
    SkinneeJay: Both are simple and sad stories. I find the endings pretty similar.
    The Old Man and The Sea by Ernest Hemingway (sturlington)
    The Cone-Gatherers by Robin Jenkins (chrisharpe)
    I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Both these books are perfectly structured, all the plot parts fitting so seamlessly together that not even a knife blade could slip between them. The endings to each are as inevitable as the end of the world.
1930s (8)
Read (53)

English (532)  Spanish (6)  French (6)  Italian (4)  Dutch (4)  Swedish (3)  Finnish (2)  Norwegian (2)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (562)
A short story that delivers amazing insight into the lives of poor itinerant farm workers as well as the relationship between two who travel together with one looking after his less than bright mate. A tragedy that you can see coming but that is delivered without over-dramatising. ( )
  ElizabethCromb | Jul 8, 2020 |
2020 reread:

Wow, I had forgotten how powerful this tragic novella is! I am increasing my rating from 4 stars to 5. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 7, 2020 |
Last week I was reading Stephen King's historical science fiction thriller romance story [b:11.22.63|10866286|11.22.63|Stephen King|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327878078s/10866286.jpg|15553789]. At one point the narrator, a high school English teacher, is directing a stage production of this John Steinbeck novel. We're shown the ending, and even through the multiple layers of meta-fiction it was crushingly emotive. Still, I figured that I was now braced for the real thing and would be able to read it with a dry stoicism, enjoying the work without having my emotions dragged back through the wringer. But I guess Robert Burns was right when he drunkenly slurred: “The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft agley.” Whatever you say, Robert, now just blow into this bag please.

Suffice it to say that forewarned was not quite the same as forearmed when it came to this novel. The story is short and the prose punchy, and it's such a beautiful little work that even if you know the details of the plot inside out (and they're not hard to fathom in advance even if you don't) it's impossible not to be utterly caught up and swept away by the touching story of Lennie and George. ( )
  imlee | Jul 7, 2020 |

leezeebee | Jul 6, 2020 |
Too vulgar for school?
An uncomfortable read,
worth the couple hours. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |

Sinise, GaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winterich, John T.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

A few miles south of Soledad, the Salinas River drops in close to the hillside bank and runs deep and green.

The tragic story of George Milton and Lennie Small, two displaced migrant ranch workers, who move from place to place in search of new job opportunities during the Great Depression in California, USA.

3 1956

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141185104, 0141023570, 014103842X, 0241952484

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,817,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible