Scoop by Evelyn Waugh

Scoop (1938)

by Evelyn Waugh

English (54)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (59)
Absolute classic - from the moment we learn that William Boot’s sister has tampered with the manuscript of his article, a series of misadventures and misunderstandings that land William in a war zone. It’s a masterclass in the art of crisp concise writing. ( )
  kate_author | Jun 2, 2018 |
Evelyn Waugh was a pretty vile human being (even for his time) and unfortunately, "Scoop" contains elements of his racism and anti-Semitism, which mar an otherwise decent novel.(I put this book on my list after reading and loving Waugh's "Brideshead Revisited" -- before I had read anything about the author's life.)

"Scoop" is the story of a newspaper columnist named Boot, who gets sent overseas as a foreign correspondent to Ishmaelia, where a war is expected to break out despite his lack of qualifications, because his name is similar to someone else more qualified.

As a recovering reporter, there were elements of this book I found amusing and that still ring true today-- especially the pack mentality, which is still present in reporting today. ( )
  amerynth | Mar 11, 2018 |
It's a while since I've read this book, but I could still remember how much I enjoyed it. In a case of mistaken identity, the wrong Boot was sent to cover the war in Africa. Not knowing anything, he blundered along and still got the scoop. A very delicious read. ( )
  siok | Feb 24, 2018 |
An uproariously funny comedy of errors with some of the wittiest dialogue I have ever read... it's only a shame that Waugh's racism comes to the fore with some less than well-chosen nouns that really, really make the book feel dated. ( )
  soylentgreen23 | Oct 25, 2017 |
'Scoop' for me comes in fits and starts: both for the comedic and in terms of Waugh's literary genius.

I found the first third of the book to be particularly amusing: a case of mistaken identity in British high society sends a rather backwards gentleman against his will to Africa. Once he gets to Africa, things aren't quite so interesting unfortunately. There are occasional flourishes of Waugh's amazing prose: the scene describing the casting aside of Boot's celibacy was particularly vivid to me, but it's mostly washed out by focusing on the lighter side of things. A revisit in future years might change my mind on this one. ( )
  ZambeziJql | Dec 9, 2016 |

Hitchens, ChristopherIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ràfols Gesa, FerranTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For
LAURA
While still a young man, John Courteney Boot had, as his publisher proclaimed, 'achieved an assured and enviable position in contemporary letters'.
Why, once Jakes went out to cover a revolution in one of the Balkan capitals. He overslept in his carriage, woke up at the wrong station, didn't know any different, got out, went straight to a hotel, and cabled off a thousand-word story about barricades in the streets, flaming churches, machine guns answering the rattle of his typewriter as he wrote, a dead child, like a broken doll, spreadeagled in the deserted roadway before his window - you know.
There was something un-English and not quite right about 'the country', with its solitude and self-sufficiency, its bloody recreations, its darkness and silence and sudden, inexplicable noises; the kind of place where you never know from one minute to the next that you may not be tossed by a bull or pitchforked by a yokel or rolled over and broken up by a pack of hounds.
'Feather-footed through the plashy fen passes the questing vole...'
'Up to a point, Lord Copper.'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316926108, Paperback)

Evelyn Waugh was one of literature's great curmudgeons and a scathingly funny satirist. Scoop is a comedy of England's newspaper business of the 1930s and the story of William Boot, a innocent hick from the country who writes careful essays about the habits of the badger. Through a series of accidents and mistaken identity, Boot is hired as a war correspondent for a Fleet Street newspaper. The uncomprehending Boot is sent to the fictional African country of Ishmaelia to cover an expected revolution. Although he has no idea what he is doing and he can't understand the incomprehensible telegrams from his London editors, Boot eventually gets the big story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:08 -0400)

Contains two volumes about amphibians and reptiles.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141187492, 0141195126, 0141193468

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,804,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible