Taliban: Militant Islam, Oil and Fundamentalism in Central Asia (2000)

by Ahmed Rashid

In this enormously insightful book, correspondent Ahmed Rashid brings the shadowy world of the Taliban, the world's most extreme and radical Islamic organization, into sharp focus. He explains the Taliban's rise to power, its impact on Afghanistan and the region, its role in oil and gas company decisions, and the effects of changing American attitudes toward the Taliban. He also describes the new face of Islamic fundamentalism and explains why Afghanistan has become the world center for international terrorism.… (more)

English (14)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (16)
Is yr country invading Afghanistan? Who'll it be next mnth? What's the invasion flavor of the mnth?! Anyway, I decided to read this to try to educate myself about Afhgani politics around the time the US government decided to invade there. It's published by Yale University Press - wch immediately makes it suspect as ruling elite propaganda - but I still found it to be informative & even-handed anyway. Will fundamentalist religious assholes NEVER GO AWAY?! & by that, I mean the ones in Afghanistan AND the United States (etc) - in case that wasn't already obvious. ( )
  tENTATIVELY | Apr 3, 2022 |
This book has sold 1½ million copies... and yet no one at the publisher has bothered to render the English into such as might be used by a native speaker of the language. Far too many sentences had to be read multiple times in order to try to work out what the author (probably) intended to say.

Perhaps worse, no one has bothered to go through the text and fix the many numerical inconsistencies. One simply cannot trust the numbers, because they are too-frequently inconsistent with others presented elsewhere in the book (or even on the same page).

I really wish that this book was as good as I had expected it to be, because the subject is certainly of considerable importance. ( )
  N7DR | Mar 1, 2022 |
interesting and informative, a fire-hose of relevant background information as well as a solid overall feel for the region and the circumstances that allowed the Taliban to take root and polarize Afghanistan.
  royragsdale | Sep 22, 2021 |
A detailed look at the Taliban's origins, history, and policies up to 2000. (Note: This is a review of the first edition; the second edition adds an updated chapter on additional developments 2000–2009.)

The first section of the book covers the history of the movement and how the Taliban came to control most of Afghanistan's territory by 2000. The second section covers the movement's internal policies, including its interpretation of Islam, treatment of women, drug policy, and connections to Bin Laden. The last section focuses on the Taliban's relations with its regional neighbors and other countries with an interest in the region.

Overall I found this an interesting and very informative book. Some parts were a little dry, such as the two chapters describing international oil companies' efforts to build an oil pipeline through Afghanistan. Also, the index had a few errors and omissions, which was occasionally frustrating when trying to refer back to previous information about a given person or faction. But apart from these minor flaws, this is a fascinating, well-organized, and comprehensive treatment of its subject matter. ( )
  gcthomas | May 31, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
Ahmed Rashid examines the rise of militant Islamic movements in the newly independent states of former Soviet Central Asia. The post-Soviet regimes of the region blame this phenomenon on outside support from the Taliban, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and elsewhere in the Muslim world. Rashid disagrees, arguing strongly that the repressive nature of these regimes, combined with their inability - even unwillingness - to foster economic development, has provided a breeding ground for militant Islamic movements. It is an argument the regimes and their supporters, including the United States, would do well to heed.
added by mnkatz | editEurasianet, Mark N. Katz (Mar 1, 2002)

Rashid, AhmedAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Riemann, HaraldÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seuß, RitaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

For my mother, what I have seen she taught me to see. I hope I have honoured it. And for Angeles.

Yale University Press

3 editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300089023, 0300083408, 0300163681

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,989,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible