Daughter of York by Anne Easter Smith

Daughter of York (2008)

by Anne Easter Smith

I wanted to read this book because it was the continuation of the Duke of York's family. It didn't disappoint. I really enjoy reading what happened back in the 1400's and thank God women aren't betrothed to someone when they are 6 and sometimes married off to someone they don't know when they are 16 just to win favors for their kingdom. Anne Easter Smith knows how to bring these characters/people to life and follows history really close. I'm looking forward to continue reading about this family. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
3.5 Stars

Margaret of York is one of those historical figures that just makes history interesting by her sheer force of personality, even if the work that portrays her doesn’t quite live up to her. This one excels at making her strong will and political acumen shine through; yet some of the storytelling and writing choices made by the author keep this from being one of the greats about this fascinating historical figure.

Smith is known for her attention to details and historical realism. This work is no different. Colorful medieval jousts, court scenes, and weddings make their appearances as expected. Everything is lovingly described and portrayed.

Margaret is someone most people nowadays haven’t heard of; only someone really interested in the Middle Ages would have heard of this dragon lady. I’ve only heard of her as I adore strong female figures from that time period, and she’s one of the strongest. She basically held together one of the strongest and richest kingdoms of the late Middle Ages after her husband died through sheer force of will and determination. Her smarts and connections preserved the duchy for her step-daughter for at least a few more decades after Charles’ death.

I love what Smith did in portraying her. Margaret’s never been more forceful and resilient against incredible odds and prejudices. A brutally abusive marriage and a society that didn’t appreciate her genius illustrate her strength of character when facing such. I love an intelligent medieval woman who knows how to work the system and earns the respect of those around her due to more than just her pretty face. Margaret is one of those women that made things happen.

Yet for all this strong frontal character and a great medieval background for her, the author made some story flow and telling options that kept this from reaching a great level. The ending left something to be desired. The author chose to leave off telling Margaret’s story at an odd place, knowing all the drama in her life coming that the author chose to leave out. While I can understand the want to leave the story ending on a positive note, the author choosing where they did made this story feel incomplete and with a sudden drop of an ending with no resolution. Maybe someone completely unfamiliar with Margaret’s story wouldn’t notice this odd ending, but I definitely did.

Also, a trait I found annoying was the author’s habit of inserting side paragraphs/speeches describing what was happening or an outsider’s impressions of people and places. You’d be immersed into a vivid scene, flowing along with the story, when suddenly we’d get a completely different POV describing how beautiful or wise Margaret was or something along those lines. Usually, it was to further describe and praise Margaret. I found these side speeches annoying; they pushed me out of the narrative more than they added anything to the flow.

A great story and primary lead make this an enjoyable read, but I’ve come across better in the genre. I loved the historical details and Margaret; she alone makes for a great tale. This one is a great escape for lovers of medieval historical fiction. The items that irked me may not bother another. ( )
  Sarah_Gruwell | Jul 5, 2016 |
As usual, the character comes alive, and you feel you've become initmately acquainted with Margaret of York, and her life. ( )
  JessLJones | Sep 10, 2015 |
As I mentioned when I first started reading this book ended up not being one of my favorites of the series with Anne Easter Smith. I do not know if it is because I could not really warm to Margaret or if perhaps I was just a little bit over done with the War of the Roses. Now that part said the book was not a bad book I did like it.

Margaret is a pivotal character in the war of the Roses. Not only is she the Sister to two Kings she is one that goes on as far as she can to try to keep her family on the throne. She is a woman of convictions and loyalty. While I could not warm to her personally I fully respect her. As a woman in the time period she was in she did not really have much power, even as a relation to the a King, and yet she did her best to in fact wield power. When she became a Duchess in her own right she did indeed wield that power, not always in an honest way but still she thought she was doing the very best for her family.

If your a fan of the War of the Roses this is a book you should not miss. While as I said it was not my favorite it was good and I am glad that I read it. I would have missed out on a perspective that not many take into thought when they think of the war. A woman who was indeed at the heart of it. ( )
  LadyAmbrosia | Apr 18, 2013 |
I am a huge fan of Anne Easter Smith and this book did not disappoint. While some of the plot point are more far fetched than in her previous novels they are easily overlooked because of the connection you feel to Margaret of York. ( )
  RockStarNinja | Feb 19, 2011 |
With love to my husband, Scott, who encourages me every day to dream
The Micklegate towered above her, seeming to touch the lowering sky, as she knelt in the mud and stared at the gruesome objects decorating the battlement.

History tells us that the intelligent, wealthy, and powerful Margaret of York had everything any woman could want, except for love. The acclaimed author of A Rose for the Crown takes us between the lines of history and into her heart.

It is 1461: Edward, son of Richard of York, ascends to the throne, and his willful sister, Margaret, immediately becomes a pawn in European politics as Edward negotiates her marriage. The young Margaret falls deeply in love with Anthony Woodville, the married brother of Edward's queen, Elizabeth. But Edward has arranged for his sister to wed Charles, son of the Duke of Burgundy, and soon Margaret is setting sail for her new life. Her official escort: Anthony Woodville.

Margaret of York eventually commanded the respect and admiration of much of Europe, but it appears to history that she had no emotional intimate. Anne Easter Smith's rare gift for storytelling and her extensive research reveal the love that burned at the center of Margaret's life, adding a new dimension to the story of one of the fifteenth century's most powerful women.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:18 -0400)

Rendered a political pawn when her brother ascends to the throne in 1461, Princess Margaret of York is promised in marriage to the Duke of Burgundy's son in spite of her passionate love for a married man, a situation that shapes her subsequent role as aninfluential woman.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,178,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible