Daughter of York by Anne Easter Smith

Daughter of York (2008)

by Anne Easter Smith

276None41,457 (3.63)6

As I mentioned when I first started reading this book ended up not being one of my favorites of the series with Anne Easter Smith. I do not know if it is because I could not really warm to Margaret or if perhaps I was just a little bit over done with the War of the Roses. Now that part said the book was not a bad book I did like it.

Margaret is a pivotal character in the war of the Roses. Not only is she the Sister to two Kings she is one that goes on as far as she can to try to keep her family on the throne. She is a woman of convictions and loyalty. While I could not warm to her personally I fully respect her. As a woman in the time period she was in she did not really have much power, even as a relation to the a King, and yet she did her best to in fact wield power. When she became a Duchess in her own right she did indeed wield that power, not always in an honest way but still she thought she was doing the very best for her family.

If your a fan of the War of the Roses this is a book you should not miss. While as I said it was not my favorite it was good and I am glad that I read it. I would have missed out on a perspective that not many take into thought when they think of the war. A woman who was indeed at the heart of it. ( )
  LadyAmbrosia | Apr 18, 2013 |
I am a huge fan of Anne Easter Smith and this book did not disappoint. While some of the plot point are more far fetched than in her previous novels they are easily overlooked because of the connection you feel to Margaret of York. ( )
  RockStarNinja | Feb 19, 2011 |
I found the somewhat soppy romance part of this book boring and I think unlikely, but the life of Margaret of Burgundy was reasonably well done. The book is clearly in the romance category and so those looking for solid historical fiction will be disappointed. ( )
  bhowell | Nov 2, 2010 |
What a good read. Three cheers for Anne Easter Smith ( )
  sds6565 | Sep 26, 2009 |
A surprising nice book by Anne Easter Smith telling the saga of Margareth of York, duchess of Burgundy. I am looking forward to read her first novel. ( )
  Lnatal | Jun 23, 2009 |
With love to my husband, Scott, who encourages me every day to dream
The Micklegate towered above her, seeming to touch the lowering sky, as she knelt in the mud and stared at the gruesome objects decorating the battlement.

History tells us that the intelligent, wealthy, and powerful Margaret of York had everything any woman could want, except for love. The acclaimed author of A Rose for the Crown takes us between the lines of history and into her heart.

It is 1461: Edward, son of Richard of York, ascends to the throne, and his willful sister, Margaret, immediately becomes a pawn in European politics as Edward negotiates her marriage. The young Margaret falls deeply in love with Anthony Woodville, the married brother of Edward's queen, Elizabeth. But Edward has arranged for his sister to wed Charles, son of the Duke of Burgundy, and soon Margaret is setting sail for her new life. Her official escort: Anthony Woodville.

Margaret of York eventually commanded the respect and admiration of much of Europe, but it appears to history that she had no emotional intimate. Anne Easter Smith's rare gift for storytelling and her extensive research reveal the love that burned at the center of Margaret's life, adding a new dimension to the story of one of the fifteenth century's most powerful women.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:41 -0400)

Rendered a political pawn when her brother ascends to the throne in 1461, Princess Margaret of York is promised in marriage to the Duke of Burgundy's son in spite of her passionate love for a married man, a situation that shapes her subsequent role as aninfluential woman.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,467,466 books! | Top bar: Always visible